noob in need of help! first G
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: noob in need of help! first G

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

noob in need of help! first G

So i'm looking to get my first G, i'm wanting something which tells the time and has a stopwatch, alarm etc. I don't particularly need any fancy functions because i probably wouldn't use them... I'm a mountain biker so i just wanted something tough and thought a g-shock was the way to go.
    I like the look of stealthy, blacked out g's although i am open to a bit of jazz/colour. I'm only a young 'un so i want a cool looking one (which i know, doesn't exclude many) and also prefer analogue, but again, i'm open to suggestions. I only have weedy 6 1/2- 6 5/8 inch wrists...

Here are a few i like the look of:
    Casio G Shock Watch GA-100-1A1ER | the Watch Hut
    Casio G-Shock Watch GR-8900A-1ER . | the Watch Hut
    Casio G Shock Watch . | the Watch Hut
    the last one is one with a bit of colour that i liked, contrary to my spec posed above.
    Sorry for the long winded post, just wanted a bit of help. Wrist shots and comparison shots would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance g-shockers, Ross

Re: noob in need of help! first G

All fine items my man, and there's nothing wrong with a bit of colour - useful for your mates trying to find which bush you're lying in after "it went wrong" hehe.

There is also the Mudman range (all digital though) which are designed to be mud proof (well, more so than your 'normal' G Shock I mean) the cheapest of which is this model (and it comes in various colour options:

Casio G-9000-1VER Mens Resin Digital Watch: Casio: Amazon.co.uk: Watches

Personally, I'd say something slightly smaller that the big GA100 would be better simply as you might use a lot of wrist extention and don't need a big ol' mama G digging into the back of your hand, plus a smaller model is going to be less intrusive generally.

Those G9000s I mention are smaller and more rounded than the 100 and 8900, but that little analogue is also a fine choice tbh.
    K1ngunit likes this.
    The 7900's are my favourites, although the 56s are currently my focus. But nothing is excluded, except pink Risemans.

thanks a lot for your speedy response! yeah i kind of guessed that the ga100 would be a little on the large side, so i'll remove that one from my shortlist.
    the mudman looks like a great alternative. i prefer the looks of the blue g100 but it probably wouldn't be as suited to my needs as the mudman you suggested... i will take your advice into account when making my decision and purchase!

i've now also come across the 6900ms which looks pretty sweet... i'm never going to manage to narrow this down to one, guess i'm gonna have to become a collector haha!
    Last edited by roscotanna; June 5th, 2012 at 18:30.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

another quick question... even though i took the ga 100 off my shortlist, i cant help but be drawn to how darn sexy it looks! haha i think i might get two, one for sports, and the big ga100

so, to the question... i already have a pag40. would the ga100 be any bigger than this because i can get on with the protrek and think it is an acceptable size on my wrist?
    thanks fellas

Check'em out on a site with the stats - I don't have measurements to hand. The GA100 is a big old bird though, that's for sure.

Best try one out in the flesh first is my guess. But it's not like a dinner plate or owt, so unless you've wrists like bamboo stalks it'll be fine.

We like big watches here man.
    The 7900's are my favourites, although the 56s are currently my focus. But nothing is excluded, except pink Risemans.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

I think the GA-100 will wear larger on your wrist than the PAG-40. By how much, well... doesn't look to be a lot. Your best bet, if it's at all possible for you, is to go visit a local store and check out their G-Shocks first hand. This will give you a sense of how they look and feel. You might find a reasonable deal right there and get one. Or, it'll help you get a good idea for purchasing later on-line. I think this is especially important with rather unusual looking G-Shocks, such as the GA-XXX series, where readability can be a problem.

Analog G-Shocks are a peculiar breed. Some are really beautiful, like the aviator series (GW-2xxx, GW-3xxx, GW-4xxx), and of course the GIEZ. And then there's the Edifice series, but they're not under the G-Shock umbrella. The trouble with cheaper analog G-Shocks is the quality of the movement and its ability to stay synchronized with the digital indicators. If going that route, I'd prefer to spend more money and get one with self correcting hands.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

thanks for the help chaps, i looked at the sizes listed on the web... seem that the ga is slightly smaller than the protrek (although i understand that this may not mean that it wears smaller)
    i think im gonna have a hunt around the local jewelers/watch shops and try a few on... am i correct in thinking that the ga-xxx series does auto sync the hands with the digital time? i understood that when the digital time is set the hands follow... i could be talking rubbish though haha
    again, thankyou

Another worth considering is the AWG-M100B-1aer which can be found for £70 on Amazon uk at the moment (if you use the £15 off code FATHER15)
    Name:  AWG.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  146.3 KB

Why not get a gx56, they may be a little to big, but they are mud resist, another suggestion would be a mudman since you like the stealth look I say go with the g9000-ms, the muddies are great also mud resist they are also a smaller model in the world of g's, but a bad thing about the muddies is that the buttons can be hard to push, but you could take the bezel off and soak it in hot water to soften it up, good luck =)

Quote Originally Posted by roscotanna View Post
    thanks for the help chaps, i looked at the sizes listed on the web... seem that the ga is slightly smaller than the protrek (although i understand that this may not mean that it wears smaller)
    i think im gonna have a hunt around the local jewelers/watch shops and try a few on... am i correct in thinking that the ga-xxx series does auto sync the hands with the digital time? i understood that when the digital time is set the hands follow... i could be talking rubbish though haha
    again, thankyou
    Erm I'm not sure about the aligning to the digi time display or vice versa.

Why am I posting? Good question :confused:

Sent through Tapatalk on HTCs Desire.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information