Is this normal behavior for a GPS Rangeman?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Is this normal behavior for a GPS Rangeman?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this normal behavior for a GPS Rangeman?

I have a GPS Rangeman, GPR-B1000. Like the watch a lot. I noticed some behavior lately that seems odd to me. My watch is currently showing 3 bars of charge and spends time off my wrist near a south facing window with a fair amount of sunlight. I normally use a watch face that shows the sunrise and sunset times for my location.

I recently put the watch outside on a sunny day to charge. It was also a warm day, with temperatures in the mid-80s Fahrenheit (but well below the top end of the range of 41 to 95 F mentioned in the manual). After some time (probably a couple of hours) the watch, on its own, shifted back to the default face which does not show sunrise and sunset times. The second thing it did was show only one bar of charge and warn me to charge it. This seemed odd, as the watch had shown 3 bars of charge before I put it in the sun to charge and I would have thought the charge level would only increase.

The manual notes (page 5) that you should not charge the watch in direct sunlight for long periods. It also notes that you should not use the charger in temperatures above 95 F. So what happened was probably a result of having the watch in direct sunlight for too long on a hot day.

When I bought the watch back in the house (temperature around 72 F) and looked at it an hour or so later, it was back to showing 3 bars of charge. It was still on the default watch face.

I have more recently seen this behavior in less extreme conditions. I had the watch in a south window on a sunny day in the house, with a temperature around 72 F. The watch switched on its own from the display screen with sunrise and sunset times to the default screen. It did, however, continue to show 3 bars of charge.

Last weekend, I was out for a bike ride on a warm (temperature around 80 Fahrenheit) and sunny day. The watch was on my wrist, in and out of shade. The watch again shifted from the sunrise/sunset time face to the default display. And at the end of the 1 1/2 hour ride, it showed no bars or charge and warned me to charge it.

I am planning on taking the watch on several trips where I will be outside in warm and sunny conditions. I am wondering whether I will have problems with the watch.

I don't particularly mind it shifting to the default face -- I can shift it back. But I worry when it suggests it has no charge.

Re: Is this normal behavior for a GPS Rangeman?

I charge my Mudmaster (which has less power requirements) on a Led light bulb in my bedroom. It puts off virtually no heat and seems to charge it well when I'm not wearing it for an extended period.

It might be worth trying.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I don't own a GPS Rangeman, but I do own many solar Casios. The charge level intermittently dropping from three bars to no bars is not normal. I'd call Casio support and see what they say. I suspect the watch may need to be repaired.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, I agree. Mine never shows "no bars." It is probably normal for the display to move from sunrise/sunset back to the main display after a certain amount of time. But the charging issue - you should get that checked out.
    memento_mori likes this.
    Casio G-shock
    MRG-G1000B-1ADR, MTG-B1000TF-1AJR, GWR-B1000X-1A, GMW-B5000TFC-1, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000GD-9, GMW-B5000G-1, GWF-D1000MB-3JF, GPR-B1000-1, GPR-B1000-1B, GWG-1000-1A, GW-9400-1, GW-9400DCJ-1, GW-9400BTJ-8, GW-9401KJ-3JR, GW-5000-1JF, GW-B5600FB-4JR, GW-B5600HR-1, GXW-56BB-1JF, GW-3000M-4A, DW-5035D-1B, DW-5600BB (x2), DW-5600E (x2), DW-5600EG-9V, DW-5600CL-1, GW-M5610TR-7JF, DW-5600MS, GLS-5600CL-1, GLS-5600CL-3, DW-6930, GA-100MM-8A, G100BB-1A, GLS-6900-9JF, G-8900SC, GD-350-1B, GD-400-9CS, DW-6900MS, GD-120CM-4, GD-X6900CM-5, GLS-8900CM-2, GW-002KA.
    Casio Protrek/Pathfinder
    PAG-240B-2, PRW-2500R-1, PRW-3100FC-1JF, PRX-8000T-7AJF.
    Casio AE-1200 (x2)
    Casio W217H-1A
    MDV106-1A
    MTD1080-7A

Thanks all. I'll contact Casio and see what they say.
    memento_mori likes this.

The Rangebeast is a hungry little chap and doesn’t need much of an excuse to drop down to 3 bars and it seems to take longer in the sun than most Gs to top up again. I like to keep a full charge on mine and this last winter I resorted to charging it via the USB clip.

Have you tried charging it completely with the usb charger? Maybe once its "full" the sun will keep it topped off.

There’s a vid on YouTube of the B1000 disassembly and the battery is huge with a capital H. You can see why it’s fairly slow to charge.

Thanks all.

I am not worried about the fact that it seems to take a long time to charge it with light, even direct sun. I have charged mine with the usb charger from time to time (I am doing that now) and over time, it slowly drops down to 3 bars, even living in a window sill when not on the wrist. That seems normal enough to me and I understand that it has/needs a high capacity battery that would take longer to charge than my other solar G-Shocks.

I was more worried that it seemed to show a loss of charge when in sunlight in warm to hot conditions, in one case for only an hour and a half (on my wrist for a bike ride) and in the other for longer (set out on a table in the backyard in the sun). In both cases, the watch was showing 3 bars of charge when it went into the sunlight and later showed 1 or 0 bars -- dropping in apparent charge while in sunlight -- and said it needed to be charged. And in both cases, as the watch later cooled in the house, it went back to showing 3 bars of charge. So I am wondering if my watch has a problem or if the model is a bit intolerant of heat.

I like the watch for hiking and photo trips. I used the watch on a trip to Patagonia in April and it worked fine. But it was fall and cool there. I have a couple of warmer weather trips coming up over the next year and wonder how it will do there.

I have emailed Casio G Shock support and will let the thread know what they say.
    Servus likes this.

I think it overheated...I've charged my mudmaster on direct sunlight once and it caused the LCD to get completely dark and the back of it was extremely hot. I then put it inside and things went back to normal...I would say use the provided backplate charger and charge it to full I have my Rangeman where some light gets thru and never had to worry about it losing a charge.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    TAG Heuer Collector.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information