Not a G, but... - Page 2
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Not a G, but...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Not a G, but...

Quote Originally Posted by casieko View Post
    synthetic grease should also work
    Obviously, you have never tried this ...
    Mike K likes this.
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Obviously, you have never tried this ...
    synthetic is silicon base no? Mobil 1 synthetic grease is highly recommended.

I would think grease would be too thick and cloudy to use in this application...seems that way.
    Encourage someone. The world has enough critics.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon\ View Post
    If I wasn’t spending money on G-Shocks, my wife would be spending it on dumb sh*t like food and bills.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There's a huge difference between "grease" and "oil." You wouldn't fill your car's engine with Mobil 1 grease because it's too thick, but Mobil 1 oil is fine for that application.

Silicone grease is fine to use for lubricating and waterproofing the rubber seals on a watch, but filling an entire watch case with this stuff would make it difficult to read the LCD display:

Name:  IMG_8485.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  58.1 KB

Since oil is thinner -- and the silicone oil mentioned is practically transparent -- it's ideal for filling a watch.

I was referring to applying small amount to gasket since that is the issue here for waterproofing. I might be deserving of a red card.
    Last edited by casieko; December 30th, 2015 at 22:19.

I was referring to applying small amount to gasket since that is the issue here for waterproofing. I might be deserving of a red card.
    Lol, makes sense now. We are talking about filling the entire case with the oil.
    Encourage someone. The world has enough critics.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon\ View Post
    If I wasn’t spending money on G-Shocks, my wife would be spending it on dumb sh*t like food and bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Prdrers View Post
    Lol, makes sense now. We are talking about filling the entire case with the oil.
    Indeed -- all but one of us were talking about that, but now it seems like we're all on the same page.

And because the questions always seems to come up with EVERY "hydro mod" thread, here's my mini-FAQ from elsewhere:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    A sort-of disclaimer since it seems like every recent hydro-thread generates the same questions:

"What's hydro modding?"

It's the act of deliberately and carefully filling of the inside of a watch with a liquid -- chemically inert, non-conducting liquids such as silicone oil work best and won't harm the watch. Here's one thread on the subject, but there are many threads on the subject in the G-Shock subforum alone:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/get...s-1037928.html

"Why would you want to do that?"

Hydro modding a G-Shock increases the depth rating of the watch in at least two different ways, greatly improves the watch's legibility underwater, significantly improves legibility out of the water as well, eliminates fogging inside the watch crystal, and can make the watch an interesting conversation piece when you show people that there's an air bubble inside your watch. There are probably some other reasons but those are just the ones that come to mind first.

"Why is it called 'hydro modding?'"

Nobody really seems to know, but if I had to guess it's because most of the benefits from this "mod" make the watch perform better in and around water.

"Are you serious? People really do this?!"

Yes, we really do; no, it's not some elaborate forum hoax we pull on newcomers. If you really want to know more,
    click here and start reading. If you want to know WHY it works, click here and start reading instead.
    Prdrers likes this.

Just FYI, but I was always under the impression that the watch manufacturer Sinn was the first to offer a "Hydro" model.

Here's a brief explanation of the advatages they claim for this technology: Sinn Uhren: HYDRO

HTH
    Last edited by gaijin; December 31st, 2015 at 02:02.
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

Thanks guys I learned something new today. I was really thinking of something else. I guess I had an early new years celebration and apologize I didnt mean to mess up the thread. I was just being helpful. LOL I must really sounded from another planet. I am lucky I only got a red card. Didnt even know people do this.
    Last edited by casieko; December 31st, 2015 at 02:15.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information