Not a G, but...
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Not a G, but...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Not a G, but...

I got bored and decided to Hydro my DB-36 with some olive oil. I was going to order an F-91W, but then remembered I had the DB-36 just lying there. I've had the watch for roughly 9 yrs, so I figured, why not? I managed to get one tiny bubble that I was able to hide by gently flicking the face a few times. So I guess I have a 1000M diver now (jk). I know it's nothing groundbreaking or new to WUS, but just wanted to share.

Encourage someone. The world has enough critics.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon\ View Post
    If I wasn’t spending money on G-Shocks, my wife would be spending it on dumb sh*t like food and bills.
    "I think he's referring to the design style that's typically called a 'field watch', not necessarily the best watch to take into the field. But yeah, G-Shock ftw." - WUS User 'GuySie'

Re: Not a G, but...

Olive oil? It's going to go stale.

The DB-36 is probably the least expensive AND smallest Casio to feature 24hr timer and stopwatch. Tiny watch but pack a huge CR2025 battery, which almost occupy the entire width of the watch case.
    Prdrers likes this.

Olive oil? aren't you supposed to use a very thin synthetic oil for that purpose?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dobber72 View Post
    Olive oil? aren't you supposed to use a very thin synthetic oil for that purpose?
    I think some ppl use the silicone oil for RC cars. I actually saw an old post from another forum that I found on Google where the guy used olive oil with good results in his F-91W. I already had some, so I thought what the heck, right? Shouldn't hurt it, but if it does I can replace it for $15...
    dobber72 likes this.

If I wasn’t spending money on G-Shocks, my wife would be spending it on dumb sh*t like food and bills.
    "I think he's referring to the design style that's typically called a 'field watch', not necessarily the best watch to take into the field. But yeah, G-Shock ftw." - WUS User 'GuySie'

I think you are right: olive oil melting point is 21.2 °F (−6.0 °C), but starts getting cloudy below 50°F (about 10°C).
    So, no cold places for that watch.

HTH
    Last edited by stolemberg; December 30th, 2015 at 12:34. Reason: typo

Silicone oil is the best choice for this project, because it's chemically inert and won't damage the rubber seals inside the watch. Organic oils may eventually deteriorate the seals.

Quote Originally Posted by Prdrers View Post
    I think some ppl use the silicone oil for RC cars. I actually saw an old post from another forum that I found on Google where the guy used olive oil with good results in his F-91W. I already had some, so I thought what the heck, right? Shouldn't hurt it, but if it does I can replace it for $15...
    The "good results" from that other forum were that the person reported no problems 15 months after doing it -- "better results" would have been if he reported the same thing several years later.

For a $15 watch it doesn't make a lot of sense to invest $7 on a bottle of silicone oil, especially if there is already an alternative in the kitchen. If someone REALLY wants to do the same thing to a more expensive G-Shock, though, it's probably worth the extra money and peace of mind to go with the chemically "better" choice. (As a bonus, RC racing silicone oil comes in a variety of colors! Racers use it to identify them at a glance, hydro modders can use it to lightly tint the LCD of the watch.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    Silicone oil is the best choice for this project, because it's chemically inert and won't damage the rubber seals inside the watch. Organic oils may eventually deteriorate the seals.

The "good results" from that other forum were that the person reported no problems 15 months after doing it -- "better results" would have been if he reported the same thing several years later.

For a $15 watch it doesn't make a lot of sense to invest $7 on a bottle of silicone oil, especially if there is already an alternative in the kitchen. If someone REALLY wants to do the same thing to a more expensive G-Shock, though, it's probably worth the extra money and peace of mind to go with the chemically "better" choice. (As a bonus, RC racing silicone oil comes in a variety of colors! Racers use it to identify them at a glance, hydro modders can use it to lightly tint the LCD of the watch.)
    Agreed, I'm not putting EVOO in my G...lol. I have been considering getting some good oil to fill my recently acquired DW5600, but not 100% sure if I want to monkey with it. It's not really an "expensive" watch, but I still am not sure. What are the long term effects (if any) to using the RC/similar oil in the G's?

Quote Originally Posted by Prdrers View Post
    Agreed, I'm not putting EVOO in my G...lol. I have been considering getting some good oil to fill my recently acquired DW5600, but not 100% sure if I want to monkey with it. It's not really an "expensive" watch, but I still am not sure. What are the long term effects (if any) to using the RC/similar oil in the G's?
    I would not recommend Hydro'ing any watch with a replaceable battery - solar is the way to go because it should rarely, if ever, have to be opened for maintenance.

I used RC oil in my MTG-920DA back in March 2012 and here is what it looks like today (pic taken 19DEC2015):

A pic from the Hydo mod thread I posted back in 2012:

And a "fashion" shot taken in MArch 2014:

The watch is still going strong with no signs of leakage, poor charging, discoloration, etc. The Auto EL is still very sluggish, but that was expected and was the case from immediately after the mod.

HTH
    Last edited by gaijin; December 30th, 2015 at 17:18.
    Prdrers, Mike K, Upnor and 1 others like this.
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

Looks good! Enjoy your hydro watch. Its a fun project to make an inexpensive casio watch really waterproof.
    Prdrers likes this.

synthetic grease should also work

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information