Not liking solar & waveceptor

Thread: Not liking solar & waveceptor

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Not liking solar & waveceptor

I've read a few posts on here during my trawls where some members have said that they don't want / don't like solar and/or waveceptor.

Apart from not wishing to pay more for these functions why would someone not want them?

Re: Not liking solar & waveceptor

Because the first thing you do in the morning is verify if it has synched. And go crazy if it hasn't...

lets make this my 500th post,an honor to have it in the Gshock section

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NickintheLakes View Post
    Apart from not wishing to pay more for these functions why would someone not want them?
    Simplicity.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Simplicity.
    As in less to go wrong?

I dunno really - I love my solar/atomic Gs. In fact, it drives me nuts that my (non-atomic) MIMB Mudman seems to gain around 20 secs per month
    Cheers,
    Micha

there used to cases of solar cell failure. but it seems like Casio pull their act together and solar cell failure is getting rare now.

but its almost always true in engineering and manufacturing, one less component is one less thing to fail.

so i would imagine having not solar panels, connections, charging system, etc, the battery powered G-Shock would be more reliable (cause it has less component to fail). but of course, that's until you have to open it, change the battery, and then properly sealed the caseback again.

to me, i would rather have the convinent to use as much EL (and other features) as I want, than to have to worry about battery change every few years. especially when you have more than just a few G-Shocks, do battery change on all of them can be time consuming.

so far, i have only seen Casio with failed solar cell and in both cases the cell is already toasted before they were handed to me and they are very early solars. But of course, we all have heard many cases ...

and also, if you have G-Shock that you put inside a drawer and only wear them once every year, then sitting in the drawer (lack of light source) + not enough light exposure may ultimately run the battery down. that happened to me on more than a few occation, but all it takes is to wear the watch outside for a weekend and it usually will bring the charge level up to at least mid to high.

also, with 10 yr battery model (and other models that uses the bigger 2036 battery), which will extend the battery life of non-solar G-Shock. some people (not heavy EL users) may find that to be a enough reason not justifying the extra cost of solar.

for atomic, there are people's thats outside of the range of the existing atomic signal towers, then why pay for a feature that you can't use?

I read most of the waveceptor threads here and respond to many of them. The number one reason people dislike the radio sync feature is because they are "annoyed" when it misses a sync. They obsess over the missing icon on the screen. Far be it from me to say they should just 'let it go'. And in fact I do feel the sync status icon should be less prominently displayed- if not tucked in to a menu entirely.

But, under the angst, the "problem" is not the syncing capability, but the wearer's attention to minutia and/or misunderstanding of the watch's limitations. Though again I'll defend the common user and say Casio, in the manual section that describes how to invoke a sync, should probably print in large red letters that performance is typically poor if not futile during the day.

I do think that every retailer should be encouraged to ensure the watch has at least received one sync before and after summer time begins. Thus the user only has to set his home time zone to display the correct time; a requirement not only for the waveceptor function, but also world time.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

about atomic: nice to have, nothing against it but far from necessary

about solar: i chose a good CR20xx battery over solar batteries anytime. in my opinion it's okay to have solar in normal watches (though not prefered) but is totally misplaced in ABC watches, due to lack of power.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

I would agree here. I don't mind if mine don't sync, I just let it sync the next day or day after.

Quote Originally Posted by a-Tom-ic View Post
    I read most of the waveceptor threads here and respond to many of them. The number one reason people dislike the radio sync feature is because they are "annoyed" when it misses a sync. They obsess over the missing icon on the screen. Far be it from me to say they should just 'let it go'. And in fact I do feel the sync status icon should be less prominently displayed- if not tucked in to a menu entirely.

But, under the angst, the "problem" is not the syncing capability, but the wearer's attention to minutia and/or misunderstanding of the watch's limitations. Though again I'll defend the common user and say Casio, in the manual section that describes how to invoke a sync, should probably print in large red letters that performance is typically poor if not futile during the day.

I do think that every retailer should be encouraged to ensure the watch has at least received one sync before and after summer time begins. Thus the user only has to set his home time zone to display the correct time; a requirement not only for the waveceptor function, but also world time.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information