Nothing but G's for me from now on..
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Nothing but G's for me from now on..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Nothing but G's for me from now on..

After not wearing a watch for over 10 years I bought a Casio Waveceptor earlier this year and a MTG-900 and G-511 not long after that. I got into Seiko automatics for a while and bought an Orange Monster and a blue military style auto, neither of which I've worn in over 6 months, before developing an intense interest in Soviet era watches.

Now I own over 80 Soviet era watches and came to the realization the only watch I ever wore was my DW5600E mod. I'm hard on watches and prone to bumping them against the door jam when I walk through, something a G-Shock can take in stride but may destroy a vintage watch or its crystal, so I was almost afraid to wear them for fear of breaking them. The only time I ever wore them was on special occasions and they spent 99.9% of the time in the box (some I've never worn), so I decided to go back to what brought me to the dance and something I would actually get some use out of. G-Shocks.

I recently purchased a new GW-1500A and a GW-M5610 (which I really like) and have a pre-owned G-7900MS-3 I picked up last night on the bay incoming. I checked out the review of it here before pulling the trigger, and got it for under $50, and hope I like it as much as everyone else seems to like theirs.

I plan on getting a Mudman next, and a GW3500B-1A too once the Christmas rush is over, but it's nothing but G's for me from now on.

Re: Nothing but G's for me from now on..

Well said. For me personally it is also all G's and maybe an odd Pro Trek. I can appreciate the style of many other watches and am learning about them from WUS. For my collection, pretty much staying in this sandbox.

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Quote Originally Posted by OCDood View Post
    After not wearing a watch for over 10 years I bought a Casio Waveceptor earlier this year and a MTG-900 and G-511 not long after that. I got into Seiko automatics for a while and bought an Orange Monster and a blue military style auto, neither of which I've worn in over 6 months, before developing an intense interest in Soviet era watches.

Now I own over 80 Soviet era watches and came to the realization the only watch I ever wore was my DW5600E mod. I'm hard on watches and prone to bumping them against the door jam when I walk through, something a G-Shock can take in stride but may destroy a vintage watch or its crystal, so I was almost afraid to wear them for fear of breaking them. The only time I ever wore them was on special occasions and they spent 99.9% of the time in the box (some I've never worn), so I decided to go back to what brought me to the dance and something I would actually get some use out of. G-Shocks.

I recently purchased a new GW-1500A and a GW-M5610 (which I really like) and have a pre-owned G-7900MS-3 I picked up last night on the bay incoming. I checked out the review of it here before pulling the trigger, and got it for under $50, and hope I like it as much as everyone else seems to like theirs.

I plan on getting a Mudman next, and a GW3500B-1A too once the Christmas rush is over, but it's nothing but G's for me from now on.
    Well done OCDood. Very cool indeed. Perhsps the Riseman could be an option 4 xmas as well. Enjoy

harald-hans and OCDood like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I completely agree! My watch collection has been growing slowly but steadily over the past few years, mostly with aviators (Citizen Skyhawk, Torgoen T1, etc.). Although I like these watches and wear them frequently, I'm finding myself wearing my G-Shocks more and more lately, and was recently bitten bad by the G-Shock bug.

About 8 months ago I bought my first G-Shock; a GW-3500B that I fell in love with the moment I saw a picture of it. I swapped out the resin strap for a metal G-Shock bracelet, and it pretty much hasn't left my wrist since. As a matter of fact, the charge on my poor Skyhawk has dropped to 'L' since I never wear it anymore. Recently I bought a DW-6900SD since I spend a lot of time in the sand and liked the color, now it's getting all the wrist time. Since that purchase I've added two more G-Shocks to my Amazon wish list: a GD-350-1B, and a GW-9430EJ-9JR. Needless to say I'm pretty much hooked on these things now. Oh, and if anyone wants to donate either of these watches to me, feel free to PM me with the good news.

Here's why I don't see myself buying anything but G-Shocks in the near future - for me a watch is all about accuracy, durability, features, and design; and Casio pretty much nails all 4 of my requirements with every G-Shock they produce - especially when it comes to durability. It is a personal pet peeve of mine that marketing is such a big factor in watch branding. As a professional pilot it's hard to ignore the heavy use of aviation themed marketing by so many watch brands, especially the luxury brands like Breitling, IWC, Bell & Ross, etc. Although I appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into making a fine mechanical movement, I think the prices asked for many of these pieces are outrageous, especially when compared to something like a G-Shock. If I were to compare my GW-3500B side-by-side with a Breitling Navtimer, and using my 4 requirements, the G-Shock would blow the Navtimer out of the water - mainly in the durability and features categories. The two are tied in the accuracy category, and I'd give Breitling a few points over the G for design (although this is highly subjective), however the difference in MSRP for these watches is around $7,750 USD. That is ridiculous! Definitely not worth it to me. In other words, the value for what you get in a G-Shock is fantastic.

I wear my watches frequently and don't baby them so most of my watches suffer from scratched crystal and scuffed metal bracelts. Although this is to be expected with G-Shocks, the price makes them easily replaceable when they get too bad. The MSRP on the Skyhawk is $699 USD, not an easily replaceable watch for my budget.

All in all I have found that G-Shocks provide the best value for my dollar. I would never criticize anyone for buying a luxury watch such as the Navtimer I mentioned earlier, as a matter of fact, I'd love to have one myself! However I just don't find that market very appealing. I'm a little too practical and cost-concious which pretty much ruins those watches for me. If I ever bought one I'm sure I'd have buyers remorse to the point that I'd have to return it. I also think it's important that people realize that much of the hype around luxury watches is purely marketing. I've flown with many pilots, including lots of military guys (fighter jocks, Thunderbird pilots, etc.) and I don't recall seeing one with a luxury watch. I do, however, spot LOTS of G-Shocks in the cockpit. If I had to crown a watch the "official" pilots watch based purely off the amount I've seen in cockpits, it would have to be the Citizen Skyhawk. Breitling, however, would like you to believe otherwise.

As for me, I couldn't be happier with my G's and don't see my addiction going anywhere soon. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go brace my Amex for more damage thanks to Casio and Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by JATO757 View Post
    About 8 months ago I bought my first G-Shock; a GW-3500B that I fell in love with the moment I saw a picture of it. I swapped out the resin strap for a metal G-Shock bracelet, and it pretty much hasn't left my wrist since.
    I f I get a GW3500B I'd like a steel bracelet for it too. I swapped the resin strap on my G-511 for a stainless steel Casio bracelet and like it much better now:

The ballistic nylon strap on the G-7900MS I've got coming is one of the things I like about it.
    JATO757 likes this.

I'm a big fan of metal and nylon (Zulu and NATO) bracelets/straps myself. For some reason I've never cared much for the resin bands. About to drop the hammer on some adapters so I can try out a NATO on my 6900. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OCDood likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDood View Post

As for me, I couldn't be happier with my G's and don't see my addiction going anywhere soon. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go brace my Amex for more damage thanks to Casio and Amazon.

The virus strikes again! Send for the nurse!

Dood:
    Amen Bro. Amen
    I have some 21 different watches. 2 DBs, 6 Seikos, 5 of those POS watches Invicta, and 6 GShocks. And a few others. My fave G? DW6900-1.
    When the great unwashed finish their herd instincts to spend money at the mall, I will be springing for the Rangeman. Probably on line,

Bought the DW6900 on Black Friday. The Kohls store had the $130.00 MSRP discounted to $78.00. Plus a 15% Senior Citizen Discount. The G
    cost me $71.20. In addition I got another coupon for a $15.00 discount. How bout them apples fellow seekers?

Retired Train Driver Art
    OCDood, JATO757 and fatiredflyer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by arogle1stus View Post
    5 of those POS watches Invicta...
    I bought an Invicta once. I still consider it the worst watch purchase I've ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Durp13579 likes this.

JATO757
    Back in the days of yore our B47s used JATO. Unstick speed 110mph?
    I have no one to blame but myself for buying Invictas. Ole Mikey Davis told me up front the Invictas weren't good investment pieces.
    So I regrouped and started buying other watches. The DB 1,000 meter ApDvr for instance. Engine is Seiko VX43. Bought it from Sam at
    DB. Sec hand hits indices dead bang on.

Retired Train Driver Art

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information