Noticed a peculiar thing about picking up the atomic signal...
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Noticed a peculiar thing about picking up the atomic signal...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Noticed a peculiar thing about picking up the atomic signal...

I picked up a PRW-2500T-7 Protrek recently, and it was kind of bugging me that after a week and a half to 2 weeks, it had still not picked up the atomic signal and synced successfully. Each night I had the watch lying on its side (side of the case) on my dresser. Then one night, I accidentally lay the watch flat, with the dial facing upwards, and what do you know, it synced from the atomic signal that night! (well, the complete TRUTH is that I was just about to go to bed and take off my watch, when I noticed it was in the process of atomic signal reception and at "L3" -- the best signal reception -- and my wrist was parallel to the floor. So guess what -- I stood like a statue in that position for EIGHT MINUTES with the "L3" on the display, until it synced successfully!! After that, in lieu of standing like a statue for 8 minutes each hour, every night at 12, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, I chose to just lay the watch in that position on my dresser! ) Since then, it has successfully synced up EVERY night!

I wouldn't have guessed that the orientation of the watch would have that much of an effect, but obviously it does. It must have to do with the orientation of the antenna to the incoming signal. I didn't actually read the manual about this, not sure what it says. And no, I do not put my watches next to a window. I've found that isn't necessary, and really makes no difference for me.

I'm probably about 2000 miles from the transmitter in Ft Collins, CO, but thankfully I can still receive the signal!

Wondering if any of you have discovered a similar thing about picking up this signal and syncing successfully?? (and have any of YOU ever stood like a statue while your watch was syncing up?? It's great fun - especially when it works! LOL )
    volodymyrqa, desire68 and KVM888 like this.

Inactive

Re: Noticed a peculiar thing about picking up the atomic signal...

I'm from Kyiv it is quite far away from German transmitter :) Actually it's beyond the official signal reach... :)

But i'm getting signal too. And the best way to receive it, is to put watch upside down. Near the window.

- Screen is covered ( so it goes to power saving mode )
    - This approach gives me much better chances to sync ( without it, watch was syncing once per week )
    Almost every day, depends on weather.

Good luck with syncing :)

Hahaha, I've done the statue thing but i found that my atomics always sync when they are left alone on the window cill late at night/early in the morning when there's less interference. Glad im not the only one who was held to ransom by the dreaded "L3" indicator lol!
    Mike
    KVM888 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I confess to becoming 'anal' about this issue. The first thing I check upon waking is if whatever G Shock I've been wearing has synced on my nighstand. Usually, it's a robust 1.02am. (Living in the UK I'm lucky enough to have a good signal). Occassionally though, it isn't, maybe it a 4.02am, which means the poor thing has attempted 3 full syncs and failed. One night, it didn't sync at all, that was a bad day I can tell you...

I've tried not checking at all - I really have, I just can't do it. I'm not strong enough, I need help, I know that...
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

What you discovered is actually pretty old news and has been dicused here for ages. Some even never could attempt to sync their watches, no matter what position they tried, unless - hold your breath - they just kept them wearing over night. Looks like the human body works as some kind of an additional antenna...

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Looks like the human body works as some kind of an additional antenna...
    Yes it does. If the 'remote' for your car doesn't operate at the distance you're at - just hold it against your head and it will amplify the signal, honest, Top Gear did this feature ages ago. I too was a non-beleiver, but tried it, and it worked!!
    desire68 and KVM888 like this.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWatch View Post
    Yes it does. If the 'remote' for your car doesn't operate at the distance you're at - just hold it against your head and it will amplify the signal, honest, Top Gear did this feature ages ago. I too was a non-beleiver, but tried it, and it worked!!
    Ahhhh ... If only we could see ourselves as others see us

I beleive you, but just imagined myself having to explain what I was doing if I were ever caught doing this
    StephenWatch likes this.
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

I have noticed that if I have multiple atomics grouped together in the watch case, that they are more consistent in syncing every night. Probably has more to do with their positional orientation than anything, but hey, strength in numbers.

I too have done the car remote thing and yes it works!
    Mike

Banned

Removed post, don't want to contribute to a board run by fascists.
    Last edited by Bonky McBonk; November 24th, 2011 at 06:29.
    kung-fusion likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information