Novice Diver needs suggestions for G-shock diver

Thread: Novice Diver needs suggestions for G-shock diver

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Novice Diver needs suggestions for G-shock diver

Hello Everyone -

I don't normally frequent the G-Shock forum so please forgive me if I am asking a mundane question; I'm beginning a scuba diving certification course and would like recommendations for a G-Shock diver. I'm not really familiar with the different series of G-Shocks and would like some advice. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance
    Corey
    RCT

Re: Novice Diver needs suggestions for G-shock diver

Hi! I think the quick answer would be:

- Casio only recommends and certifies the Frogman range for diving. It's significantly more expensive than most other G-Shocks as a result, and is also less commonly available;

- In practice, any 200m/20 Bar G-Shock seems to work fine. The Gulfman (G-9100 and GW-9100 atomic version) is advertised by Casio as being rust-resistant, and so would probably be my next choice after the Frogman.

You don't need a frogman

Maybe something inexpensive and easily obtainable is right up your alley.

These navy divers are doing just fine with these. Don't knock out your pocket book, just use the cash to buy other cool dive equipment (and of course...buy more watches to add to your impressive collection!).

Maybe a DW 6900 (Something solar and atomic. You need that atomic to set all your watches! And the light button is on the face). Whatever you do, DO NOT buy any reverse display, you need good visibility!

The pathfinder PAG 40 has the huge numbers....that might be good too (see below).

And this one is not even a g shock! It's a pathfinder!

Last edited by Peahi; September 9th, 2009 at 08:43.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here's a quick and dirty answer.
    Save your $'s and buy a dive computer.
    With what you have left find a G that you like. Most (all) are 200M water resistant. Only the Frogman is dive rated (ISO rated),
    but I've been down with the 6900 series, 5600 series, 300 series,
    and of course several Frogs...all will do just fine.
    Since they won't figure your depth, ascent rate, surface interval or no-decompression limits they're simply a cool timepiece
    that you can dive with.
    So look around and buy whatever model suits you.
    Good luck and welcome to the world of diving!
    Chris
    A Møøse once bit my sister...
    Artego Caribbean, 300M
    Casio (too many G's)
    Dagaz(Zero I),
    Gruppo Gamma MK III Vanguard
    Omega(2254.50 SMP)
    Seiko(1G custom Monster, custom 6309)
    Follow my G-Shock on its' world tour​.... https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/g-...-a-705360.html
    Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

Quote Originally Posted by onrypt View Post
    Here's a quick and dirty answer.
    Save your $'s and buy a dive computer.
    With what you have left find a G that you like. Most (all) are 200M water resistant. Only the Frogman is dive rated (ISO rated),
    but I've been down with the 6900 series, 5600 series, 300 series,
    and of course several Frogs...all will do just fine.
    Since they won't figure your depth, ascent rate, surface interval or no-decompression limits they're simply a cool timepiece
    that you can dive with.
    So look around and buy whatever model suits you.
    Good luck and welcome to the world of diving!
    Chris
    SWEET SUUNTO! Nice double barrel action on the wrist.

yes g9100........
    less expensive and great watch
    watches are meant to tell times..

I agree pretty much any G-Shock will do the job very well. I would also say a huge yes to the GW-6900 or any Mudman - GW-9010 would be my choice.

Would have to sound some dissent on the G-9100 Gulfman though. If you want to wear over a wetsuit and your wrist is bigger than 7" you could find it tricky. The straps are really quite short for a watch of that type.

GW-6900 and GW-9010 have nice long straps and they're both soft and comfortable. And both have the fifth light button on the front of the watch - very useful for any activities.

just about any Gshock will do. the recreation limit for standard air is 65 feet, they are all rated much higher. I have been to 140 feet with a gw9010, zero problems. haven't even been diving with my mtg1000 because the bracelet doesn't have a wetsuit extension, but all the strapped gshocks should be fine. if it's not a frogman or gulfman, wash it off in a sink afterwards to prevent corrosion.

Banned

As pointed out earlier its better to get a computer, or two but i find the Frogman to be a very competent dive accessory, it will record dive time and with the countdown timer you can time a safety stop if you need to and you can keep track of surface time with it, it beats the pants off the old rotating bezel analog dive watch {recent convert to digital .. Still easier to use a computer.
    I have used them all and I find the frog to be the only Casio that really hits home with me, love the style and once I came to grips with the fact that I can't see anything at arms length w/o glasses, clearly at least.

In the all to often murky waters i dive in i like to use my dyed orange frog as a sort of "if i'm lost find the bright orange spot" body locator

This is a better dive watch by far, the Sunnto D4 and you can download all of the data of the dive for your logs, $399 if you go to leisure pro

in water like this its nice to have something bright for others to see, this diver is only 6 feet away,

All of that aside Computer first, beach wear second.

G-Shock & Sales Moderator DragonJade's Avatar

Unless you will dive a lot I'd recommend sticking with a G-Shock. It'd work out expensive, unless you can get a really good deal on a dive computer.
    Any G that grabs your fancy would be ok. I'd go for one that has big digits for readability.
    Last edited by DragonJade; September 9th, 2009 at 17:32.

Get your WUS badge now from the WUS store.
    >> Support WUS by clicking through to our sponsors sites. <<
    >> Buying from a sponsor? Tell them WUS sent you. <<

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information