OCW-S1050J vs. S1000BJ vs. S1000J

Thread: OCW-S1050J vs. S1000BJ vs. S1000J

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oceanus OCW-S1050J vs. S1000BJ vs. S1000J

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a new Casio Oceanus, specifically one of the thin Manta watches. They all look great and are super thin. The only problem is that they are Japan-only for the time being, so information on each of these models is scarce. If there are any Oceanus experts, could you please share what you know about these Manta models? I'd especially like to know if these three models differ in any way other than appearance, because they otherwise seem to be the same size and have the same features. For example, is one model more scratch resistant than the other? Does the S1050J have an alarm?

Here's what I think I know about these watches already:
    - Multi-Band Atomic Timekeeping (US, UK, Germany, Japan)
    - Solar power
    - 1/20 second chronograph
    - World time
    - 24 month power reserve in power saving mode
    - 50 M water resistance
    - 85 g weight, about 10 mm thick

Thanks for the help!

OCW-S1050J:

OCW-S1000BJ:

OCW-S1000J:
    Last edited by Get a Mac; March 8th, 2008 at 02:17.

Re: Oceanus OCW-S1050J vs. S1000BJ vs. S1000J

The S1050J uses a newer module only around for a few months, the other module has been around for a year or so I think. I think the S1050J will have a countdown timer, and I can tell you for sure that the other two don't. Both of these modules are used in G-Shock's, these watches don't have the same protection as a G-Shock, but it still means these are pretty durable modules.

I also think the S1050J has a titanium carbide coating, I don't know about the other two. Titanium carbide will make it somewhat more scratch resistant.

Luke

Re: Oceanus OCW-S1050J vs. S1000BJ vs. S1000J

Looks like the S1050 uses module 5023, but I have tried downloading both from the English and Japan sites, and cannot locate the manual. I would imagine it will be online soon.

As for an alarm, don't know about the S1050, but the S1000's have been reported NOT having an alarm, which seems strange to me.

http://japwatches.wordpress.com/2007...-s1000bj-1ajf/

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: OCW-S1050J vs. S1000BJ vs. S1000J

Thanks for the advice guys. From my research, it looks like both are titanium carbide. They both have all the features of the larger M700 except the alarm. The huge selling point of the S1000/S1050 is their small form factor (only 85 grams and about 10 mm thick), which is impressive for a solar/atomic watch.

I can't really find any differences between the S1000 and S1050 except the S1050's bezel is protected by the sapphire. I'll post an update to this thread if I get one of these models.

Hello everybody,

just registered in order to post a reply

I actually own a S1000J since 2 days, it's also titanium carbid (gives an impression like it's made of SS instead of titanium)

The only difference to S1000BJ is a color of the bezel (black on the BJ). But since i have a 6'' wrist, I ordered a S1000J version, which looks smaller optically.

This ia a very, very nice watch, when you see it in person! I was tempted to buy a Citizen Attesa with DLC coating first, but for my taste Manta looks much better. And the price was incredibly good with $370 shipped
    Last edited by a-lexx; November 10th, 2007 at 16:35.

Quote Originally Posted by a-lexx View Post
    And the price was incredibly good with $370 shipped
    ...guess I'll bite, was that a typo, or is that a hot watch? I'd be interested in getting that Oceanus instead of the Attesa, at that price, but not from some questionable dude on the street...

ALex,

Where did you buy for that price ? Ebay ?

Thanks !

Hi A-lexx,

Thanks for posting. I also have a pretty small wrist, so maybe I should consider the S1000J. Can you tell us anything else about the watch? How durable/scratch resistant does it appear to be? Does it receive the atomic radio signal easily? Thanks, and glad you're enjoying your new watch!

Hello Guys,

yes, the price was really $370 ($355 for the watch and $15 for shipping).
    I've got the watch new from an e-bay seller yamato_2007 (if you look in the forum, there is a thread about this seller).

It just happend that the seller has got 5 negative feedbacks on that day (all because of bad communication), and nobody was willing to bid on the watch. So, I tried my luck and suprisingly won with my bid of $355...

yamato_2007 is a genuine seller in Japan, guess he is currently struggling to get some market share or whatever... Nevertheless, he must have actually lost money on that deal, but he seems to be a really nice guy, since he sent me a watch as advertised, an absolutely new flowless one...

As to how it looks - it's a perfect fit for my 6'' wrist. I had to remove 2'' of a strap, but other than that - it doesn't look out of proportion. I wouldn't want to buy one with the black bezel thoug , it would look too large.

I'm from Germnay, and the watch does synchronize perfectly with the German atomic clock in Frankfurt. I did not try to scratch the watch though, and since I only have it for 2 days, I didn't manage to get any scratches yet.

One thing which might be interesting - the crystal seems to be coated only from inside with a nice looking greenish coating. That's good for me, since it will add to the durability, but might be an issue for folks looking for a full coating.

I don't have a decent camera to get nice pics, but the watch looks every bit as good as it does in the pictures above and actually even better

Thanks for the description a-lexx, that's helpful. Is it normal to coat the crystal only on the inside and to have a greenish tint? What's the advantage of a double coating? Thanks for the advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information