an odball custom: DW5030WW
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: an odball custom: DW5030WW

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

an odball custom: DW5030WW

Hey friends! As you can tell from the title this build is a bit strange, but I figured I'd share it with you guys anyway. I'm sure this one will not be for everyone, and some might find it downright foolish, but I am happy with the results so that's all that really matters. I am not the type to be easily offended, and I enjoy sharing these builds with you guys, just as I enjoy seeing other people's mods even if they are not my cup of tea. Modding to me is all about making the watch suit the owner. The most important thing for the sake of my own sanity is that I finally got this idea out of my head and into reality.

I've wanted an all white G for a while now. I've often admired the GD100WW, but they are fairly rare, and for one reason or another I just never got around to picking one up. Honestly I don't wear white very often, I just wanted a white G to fill a gap in my collection, so to me it seemed fitting to build one as a custom. This would help me to appreciate the watch even if it didn't get a whole lot of wrist time.

Obviously for the watch to be pure white I would have to focus on a non-solar model. The natural choice for me seemed to be the DW5030, due to it's iconic and beautiful steel screwback case, and the fact that it is readily and economically available from pacparts. In my opinion those factors make the 5030 case an ideal platform for custom G's (apologies to the purists).

So I built the watch with a dw5030 case, removed the glass and replaced it with that of a DW5600SG-7, and added white resin with which I had painted the letters white. I forget which models I got the resin from, I just searched until I found a white that would fit. I sourced the band and bezel from different models, but luckily they matched up nicely. The module I used was that of the DW5600P, due to the high praise it has received around here for the clarity of it's LCD.

Here's where the build gets a bit strange. As many of you know, I have been experimenting lately with tinted screens by using gel filters. Well, during these projects I just couldn't shake the idea of somehow making a white display. While poking around and searching for a material that might fit the bill, I came across white tinted white "privacy" screen protector for iPhones.

With a piece of this white screen protector installed in the case in front of the module, you can read the watch perfectly from straight on at any distance, but from all other angles the watch looks COMPLETELY white. I'm extremely pleased with the effect. Readability is sacrificed somewhat, but it is still more readable that a negative display, and its not like this I intend this to be a daily wearer or tool watch. The important thing to me is that I built the watch that I dreamed up.

Here it is:

From straight on

And here's how it looks from all other angles. This is even how it looks when it's displayed in my G tower.

I'm curious to know how it might look if one were to disassemble a module, and place the white film between the LCD and rear reflective screen, but that is something that will take much more experimentation than I am willing or have time to do at the moment. At some point I might try it on an F91W (a mad G shock scientist's best friend) just to see the results. For now, I'm happy with it as it is. Like I said, its not likely to get a lot of wrist time, due to the easily stained resin, and because honestly white is just generally not my thing. In fact I wear black pants nearly every day of my life. But I just had to have a white G. I'll probably wear it on occasion when I'm wearing mostly black with a splash of white. I already have a white pocket folder to match .

Anyhow, as always thanks for letting me share this build, friends. No one in my real life even cares about these things, except for my kids who always think they are cool. I guess that's a good sign that I'm on the right track.

Take care friends. Peace

Re: an odball custom: DW5030WW

Too cool. What a creative idea, hats off once again!
    Knives and Lint likes this.

Don't worry, keep sharing them! now you just need a DW-5600BB for when you are wearing white!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

VERY cool "concept watch!" (As noted above, several parts of that build don't make it terribly practical for a daily wearer, but it's definitely a striking "collector's piece!" )

It somehow strikes me as very "retro science fiction-ish" -- or at least, from the hyper-clean futuristic science fiction from the 1960's and '70's!

I have built something familiar with the old 5600c screwback so yeah, i understand your passion and it looks awesome - showing that you are an out-of-the box thinker

I have tried and failed many times at messing with the lcd both inside and outside the module, so I would never go that far again - gel filters are pretty good as it is - wait there is a milky white lcd display out there, isn't it ?

Interesting! Functionality be damned of it's intended as a concept collector's piece. Enjoy it

I type butter on mah phon

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

I love what you did here, K&L. Superb! With the iPhone privacy film, how did you anchor it in place since it's not flush against glass? Or is the adhesive side pressed against the inside of the crystal? I've admired the DW5600SG-7, but prefer a screwback and you certainly did it here. I may have to try my hand at one of these. Too bad CASIO doesn't make white PVD buttons!
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Wow, mate that looks beautiful, congrats on the result, that's perfect, even not being that readable! I will totally buy one, I do also miss some white G's in my collection!

You sir have a great taste!

Banned

Nice one, great thinking.

Nice custom build, it's the first white 5xxx that I really dig ! Congrats !
    CASIO: Frogman GW-200TC, DW-3000, DW-5200 "Hero", DW-5400C, DW-5600C, DW-5700C, DW-5600BB, DW-6600, GX-56-1ADR, GX-56-1BDR, DW-295 "Frogster", DW-7100 "Sky-Walker", ProTrek PRG-80T, Garmin ForeRunner 910XT, Hamilton: Khaki King ETA 2834-2, Khaki Aviation ETA 2824-2, Khaki Field Mechanical 2804-2, CWC G10, Dogma Prima.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information