Off Topic: To all of you European soccer (Futbol?) fans!!
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Off Topic: To all of you European soccer (Futbol?) fans!!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Off Topic post Off Topic: To all of you European soccer (Futbol?) fans!!

So.........to all of you soccer fans... I am trying to get interested in the sport. There are some strange things about the game though, to me. Like, why does the clock never stop during the game? And they seem to end it at a convenient time - i.e., whenever they want to. (I must say though, I greatly appreciate the lack of commercials during the game! This is very much UNlike NFL games. Tune in to American football -- you end up feeling like you watched a reel of commercials, with bits of a game mixed in there somewhere...)

One thing I find funny about the game, is that it seems like any player is ready, willing, and able to drop to the ground and grab their knee at the drop of a hat!! They are either the biggest wimps around, or very bad actors..

Tonite, I watched a bit of a game between Barcelona and....wait for it -- Espanol!! Seriously?? You name a team Espanol???!! Seems like the owners of that team suffer from a deplorable lack of creativity. Yeah... I hear the U.S. is putting a new team together also. Going to name it "English."

Then, I thought I was seeing things and had to do a double-take --- but the Barcelona players had across the front of their shirts, in large letters, the name "RAKUTEN"!!

Say whhaaaaaaaaatttt????! Are the Barcelona players secret G-lovers who do a lot of Rakuten shopping? They must be the ones who bought up all of the GW-5035s from Rakuten! Dang soccer players!!
    Last edited by Time4Playnow; September 11th, 2017 at 04:54.

Re: To all of you European soccer (futball?) fans!!

Just getting prepared for all the Futbol fans to chastise you. ;)

From my kids favorite show...

Time4Playnow likes this.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Re: To all of you European soccer (Futbol?) fans!!

Sorry. Not calling it Futbol. Nope - ain't gonna happen. It sounds too much like "Football." And we all know there is only ONE Football game....
    Rocat likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Can't tell if you're serious or just trying to get flamed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Great stuff T4P and glad having you ( European Football ) on board ❤️️

Ousmane Dembele ( Barca's only high profile signing this season )
    Time4Playnow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter3 View Post

I think he's drunk.

And I have to say, I'm loving it.

I'm just learning about the sport too. Friends advised me "Pick a club, learn about them, and follow them." I found one I liked the name of in the Wales Premier League: Aberystwyth Town FC. So I'm following them and the Wales National Team in the World Cup qualifiers. They're second place in Group D!

Being raised on high-scoring American sports like Football and Basketball, Soccer is refreshingly unproductive scoreboard-wise. I even find watching the ball bounce around the field something of a meditative experience.
    Time4Playnow, grinta and Rocat like this.
    Homage watches democratize history for the common wrist.

Cheers! James

Quote Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
    I think he's drunk.

And I have to say, I'm loving it.
    Nope - not drunk. Though - I may soon be, if the Steelers keep playing so poorly in their game against the Browns. (that I'm watching a replay of on NFL Gamepass)

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter3 View Post

Neither. The whole post was rather tongue-in-cheek. I did actually catch that "Espanol" was spelled "Espanyol" - which I'm assuming is a city name?? (real question)

I also assume that "RAKUTEN" is not the same Rakuten that I know. But what is it, then? I'm assuming it's a sponsor of some type. (I'm also assuming that members of the Barcelona team are not all secret G-lovers who bought up all of the GW-5035s -- but, you never know!! )

Another weird thing about soccer.... Seems like the fans are nearly always singing about something, thru-out the entire game. First of all - it's normally unintelligible. Secondly, it seems to have nothing to do with what is going on in the game. My guess is that they're all ripped!

....The other day, had a game on, and I could've sworn the fans were singing something to the tune of "When the Saints Come Marching In" -- but that couldn't have been right - could it????
    idkfa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullers1845 View Post
    I'm just learning about the sport too. Friends advised me "Pick a club, learn about them, and follow them." I found one I liked the name of in the Wales Premier League: Aberystwyth Town FC. So I'm following them and the Wales National Team in the World Cup qualifiers. They're second place in Group D!

Being raised on high-scoring American sports like Football and Basketball, Soccer is refreshingly unproductive scoreboard-wise. I even find watching the ball bounce around the field something of a meditative experience.

That's good advice. I should try that also.

Yes, it certainly is DIFFERENT than typical American sports, from a scoring perspective. I do find it more relaxing than football or hockey. Then again, it's easy to find something relaxing when you don't know what the H is going on! Kidding. But really, it is easier to be relaxed when I don't really care who wins.

I'm someone who can appreciate a competitive sport though, no matter what it is for the most part. I can also appreciate the talent it takes to play or compete at a high level, in whatever sport I'm watching.

Many many years ago I studied Taekwondo hard for about 5 years. Earned a black belt. I never competed in full contact, but we did spar each other all the time - using only very light contact. It was so much fun to strategize how to beat other opponents. And each time you sparred someone better than you, it was a great learning experience. As such, I think that's why I can appreciate the combat sports like boxing, MMA, and kickboxing. The true superstars are highly talented. Contrary to what some people think, it takes a lot of training and skill to do what they do.
    Last edited by Time4Playnow; September 11th, 2017 at 04:29.
    Fullers1845 likes this.

Having a draw as a real and acceptable (sometimes desirable) possibility, the in-game psychology is very interesting. Also love the fact that the biggest mother out there isn't always--actually usually isn't--the best player on the field. Whereas Isiah Thomas (the younger) is something of an anomaly at his size and the fact that he is one of the best players in the NBA, one of the smallest guys in soccer is arguably the best player in the world. At least most would say Top 3. Becoming familiar with the Beautiful Game, largely because of my daughter's interest in playing the sport, it has really opened my mind to the inner workings and strategies of game play.

Still love American football--a little disillusioned, realizing how dangerous the sport really is, and how bad off a lot of the former players are physically.
    Time4Playnow and Fullers1845 like this.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information