OFF TOPIC: What would you have done?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: OFF TOPIC: What would you have done?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Off Topic post OFF TOPIC: What would you have done?

I've just got back with my daughter from her swimming lessons and trip to McDonalds for tea and just wandered what you would have done in my shoes with what happened at McD's.

We ordered our food and went to sit in the kids area and upon sitting down I found an iPad in a leather case that had been left on the seat. Without hesitation i picked it up and handed it straight in to the manageress who was on at the time. I didn't use it, see if it had any power or anything. There was no reaction from the manageress, she just took it off me and put it in her office, as if this happens all the time.

Whilst eating my food I wondered if I would have been better off to see if there were any contact details on the thing (if i could have got on it at all, it might have had a code to unlock it). Would it have been better to call people who's detail were on it and see if they knew anything? Maybe take it into the police instead?

It didn't even cross my mind to keep it until I was driving home. I don't need one as I already have one and I'd hope that if I was unlucky enough to leave mine somewhere then I'd like to think that someone honest found it and handed it in. I could have done with the money from selling it though

I've never been in that sort of situation before (I once found a £20 note on the street years ago and didn't hesitate to keep that, I was a kid though) and suppose I'll never know if it actually gets back to its rightful owner. Would you have done the same?

Re: OFF TOPIC: What would you have done?

Howdy!
    I found an iPhone at LegoLand, and immediately gave it to park security. Believe me, there was a fraction of a second's worth of "Lucky me! Look what I found!" but the moral part of my brain immediately reminded me that somebody with a job paid for that thing. I felt comfortable giving the iPhone to park security. These things do in fact happen all the time, and their owners do get them back. It would have been okay if you had tried, first, to find the iPad's owner by perusing its contents; in my address book on my Android I have "Me" as an address, with my contact info.
    Sleep well. You did the right thing.
    Casio G-Shock G2310
    Doxa 600T Professional Clive Cussler edition # 797
    Longines 1950s hand-wind
    Luminox 3001
    Ollech & Wajs 3095
    Omega Planet Ocean 45.5 mm 2500D
    Raketa 1984 pocket watch
    Seiko Black Monster mod (sword hands)
    Seiko Orange Monster
    Victorinox Mach 5 GMT

I really have to wonder why any person would even question this. There's no gray area here....you turn it in.
    desire68 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GatorJ View Post
    I really have to wonder why any person would even question this. There's no gray area here....you turn it in.
    The question wasn't turn it in or keep it, it was turn it in to McDonald's, turn it in elsewhere, or try to contact the owner. I'd say an attempt to contact the owner directly is a good idea, but the manager at McDonald's should do that anyway. By contacting the owner yourself, you just help ensure the honesty of the manager. Taking it elsewhere could just make it harder for the owner to find, so it doesn't really seem like a great idea.

+1

I think your civil duty was done, by turning it into management. You avoided possible future headaches by doing the right thing. Look at it from your daughter's eyes.. Do you want to raise a criminal? You are one of her two biggest role-models, and your decision was spot on. To the average person it's a $600+ device, but to the owner, it could contain priceless information. If it's not yours, and you walk away with it.. that's theft. Way to be a Hero!!

Like finding a wallet, I'd have tried to get some contact info. off of it first. If I couldn't, then I'd turn it in. If I could, I'd use my cellphone to try to speak with someone so that I could return it personally.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

I would have tried to find the contact info off it first.

If I couldn't find any info, I would have informed the manager that I found said ipad, and left my contact information, with the instructions to give my info to anyone that came in looking for it. I would not have left it with the store under any circumstances. For all you know they will not be honest and keep it. I trust myself to do the right thing more than the management.

I would have also posted a thread on craigslist about it, hopefully with those 2 avenues covered, the rightful owner would find me. If they can unlock the ipad, it's theirs. If they cannot, they are lying and I would not give it over. If it isn't locked I would need some specific info from the ipad that the owner would only know. Like list some apps you have installed, ect.

You still did the right thing, but whether or not the person you gave it to will, you have no control.

No I think the right thing to do would have been to check to see if you could get the persons details off the thing first, then you contact them yourself, after all no one here knows if the manager is an honest person or not, and could at this very moment be the new owner of a lost ipad.

And like another member already said, he wasnt asking if he should hand in the ipad but whether he should have handed it into a manager that seemed quite ignorant and most ungrateful.

I would have quickly CRUSHED the high scores on any games they had, and then turned it in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information