The Official Casio Oceanus Thread - Page 6
Like Tree2697Likes

Thread: The Official Casio Oceanus Thread

Page 6 of 103 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 ... LastLast

Re: The Official Casio Oceanus Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PanKorop View Post
    OCS-100 would do the job, with only one micro-adjustment extra notch, but sold with a half-link.

If you want on-the-fly adjustment without tools, I’m afraid you’re sent on the Casio GMT divers/military style market. Now those I see with that bracelet, afaik aren’t satellite controlled, and more often steel than Ti.
    In other threads it was mentioned that some Oceanus models do have an on-the-fly micro-adjust, but I don't remember which models they are. I think at least one of them also has GPS.

An Oceanus dial when lit up right looks like the inside of a shell.

Name:  IMAG0822.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  2.39 MB
    "When the shadow of the sash appeared in the curtains it was between seven and eight o'clock and then I was in time again, hearing the watch. It was Grandfather's and when Father gave it to me he said I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire.... I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all your breath trying to conquer it."
    --William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury (1929)

And now for something different...Pt.1

Been fighting an urge since finding my pawnshop Oceanus, and since only my feelings will be hurt if this doesn't work, I decided to give it a go.

Originally coated black in what I assume is ion-plating, the finish was in pretty rough shape. There is a backplate shot earlier in this thread.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  76.8 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  72.4 KB

Disassembly...btw I lost one of the rubber o-rings and was very relieved to find one in a junked GA110 to be identical. Sure saved me a hassle, but probably more common parts than we realize in these things

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  112.4 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  92.2 KB

And just because your watch looks clean...

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  64.3 KB

Naked and vulnerable...plus nice to see some original glossy finish under what was hidden by the backplate.

Name:  6.jpg
Size:  125.4 KB

Little bit of masking to protect the crystal, and into the dark it goes. Rock tumblers remove finish on metal very well and I've used this same load of rocks and grit for several projects.
    To protect the crystal and the original glossy underside of the case, both were masked and checked at about the 1 and 6hr mark. Both were good then but unfortunately in the morning the rear tape had fallen off. Maaaaybe not the correct tape, but have used it without failure previously. Oh well To the sapphire's credit there was no damage, but the fine slurry got around the city ring and caused some issue but I hope to clean that up properly in the future with some advice from members.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  98.5 KBName:  9.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  65.5 KB

There was nearly no wear on the buttons, so keeping them black will add a bit of contrast to what I hope will be a dull, matte, titanium finish with slight traces of black in tight areas.
    Not sure if everything put in (case, backplate and strap) is titanium so prepared for different finishes. Not going for perfection, but fingers are crossed for good results.

Hopefully I'm not judged too harshly for putting an Oshi in a bucket of mud and rocks Stay tuned...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think you're on the right track FarmeR57, that's some of the most worn black IP I've ever seen. You could also try some fine sandpaper or a dremel to remove any remaining black. Titanium brushes/polishes nicely. I think it'll look cool with the black buttons too.
    FarmeR57 likes this.

I have just the one Oceanus, the OCW-M700T.

It is full titanium with sapphire crystal. It is a very comfortable wearer, light at only 94g and very slim for a solar atomic with five motors.

It has that unusual feature, an analog tide gauge.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch100; August 9th, 2018 at 17:07.

I like that black variant mitch. If I were to pick one up it would be that, although I do like the one with the blue bezel too...

Name:  OCW-M700.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  155.6 KB:
    harald-hans and kubr1ck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch100 View Post
    I have just the one Oceanus, the OCW-M700T.

It is full titanium with sapphire crystal. It is a very comfortable wearer, light at only 94g and very slim for a solar atomic with five motors.

It has that unusual feature, an analog tide gauge.

Nice find, Mitch!

Looks cool.

Very nice Mitch and thanks for the factory fresh 'before' picture

After about 20 hrs or so of tumbling the results are in==> pt. 2

This is the backplate right after being rinsed. The black coating remained in the engraved lettering for a nice effect.

Name:  10.jpg
Size:  66.3 KB

Reassembled after an oil rub. Didn't notice initially, but the backplate screws are coated black as well. Knowing that getting rid of the black completely would be next to impossible, I am quite happy with the finish, looking for a more faded effect than perfectly uniform. Some scratches on the case/bezel were too deep to be covered. Took pics under various lighting to give better idea of coloring.

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  87.3 KBName:  16.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  81.7 KB
    Name:  20180809_215233.jpg
Size:  87.8 KBName:  20180808_225209.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  119.9 KB

Starting to try some alternate straps. Modded a resin band to fit and don't mind the results. Also going to try a black or grey 2-piece nato.

Name:  19.jpg
Size:  90.3 KB

So overall, I am pleased with the outcome, but there is some residue left trapped between outside edge of crystal and the case. Anyone with advice on chances of removing the crystal to tidy that up?

Quote Originally Posted by FarmeR57 View Post
    Very nice Mitch and thanks for the factory fresh 'before' picture

After about 20 hrs or so of tumbling the results are in==> pt. 2

This is the backplate right after being rinsed. The black coating remained in the engraved lettering for a nice effect.

Name:  10.jpg
Size:  66.3 KB

Reassembled after an oil rub. Didn't notice initially, but the backplate screws are coated black as well. Knowing that getting rid of the black completely would be next to impossible, I am quite happy with the finish, looking for a more faded effect than perfectly uniform. Some scratches on the case/bezel were too deep to be covered. Took pics under various lighting to give better idea of coloring.

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  87.3 KBName:  16.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  81.7 KB
    Name:  20180809_215233.jpg
Size:  87.8 KBName:  20180808_225209.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  119.9 KB

Starting to try some alternate straps. Modded a resin band to fit and don't mind the results. Also going to try a black or grey 2-piece nato.

Name:  19.jpg
Size:  90.3 KB

So overall, I am pleased with the outcome, but there is some residue left trapped between outside edge of crystal and the case. Anyone with advice on chances of removing the crystal to tidy that up?
    I love the results! I've always been a fan of the matte titanium gray look. I like black ip and polished too, but the gray is a great alternative. Have fun trying out different straps!
    FarmeR57 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmeR57 View Post

That looks great actually. Far better than the worn black coating look.

You also now have a pretty unique Oceanus.

Mitch

[
    FarmeR57 likes this.

Page 6 of 103 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread Information