The Official Casio Oceanus Thread - Page 9
Like Tree2816Likes

Thread: The Official Casio Oceanus Thread

Page 9 of 106 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 59 ... LastLast

Re: The Official Casio Oceanus Thread

The S100 has 2 positions on the clasp about 3mm apart. It also has 2 different size links, the larger is about 11mm in length, the smaller about 8mm. With the right combination one should be able to get the right fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergfour View Post
    The S100 has 2 positions on the clasp about 3mm apart. It also has 2 different size links, the larger is about 11mm in length, the smaller about 8mm. With the right combination one should be able to get the right fit.
    I saw same arrangement on Citizen (600$ + retail) probably common design solution.
    It should be special!

is there any way to order an extra link for my G1100? I bought an used G1100 but it did not come with the extra link.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by King8888 View Post
    is there any way to order an extra link for my G1100? I bought an used G1100 but it did not come with the extra link.
    Pacparts has them, for $47.02 !!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by King8888 View Post
    Pacparts has them, for $47.02 !!

Please allow a slightly heretic intrusion: a poor man’s Oshi-ansu (neh?), with its case back stamped (not engraved) “Cased in China”.

Name:  37A54153-59E4-4021-9C88-7A8A16CE1F92.jpeg
Views: 401
Size:  198.8 KB

While I love my OCS-100, I wanted a modern alternative to my scratched and beaten, hand-wound Speedmaster MkII. So, moderate size, weight and height, reliable, and anything but a busy multicoloured, circus dial. I said Speedo, not Daytona or Tag. The bigger Oceanus models, with all the complications, were tempting, but maybe a bit busy for my liking.

On the paper, the LIW-M700D-2AJF did it all. Now one’s gotta admit that “Daytona” sounds better, but Casio may have an wee bit of an issue with names. At least, “Lineage” is not poorly coined at all.

So, the specs:
    39.5 mm case (with as without the pushers), stainless steel;
    black (or in the option I chose, night-blue) uncluttered symetrical dial, white hands and markers;
    11.5 mm thick, well-curved lugs, spreading 46.5;
    10 atm proof;
    sapphire flat crystal;
    Multi-Band 6;
    Tough Solar;
    Stainless steel.

I got it from a legit German dealer, as it’s not a JDM.
    The case is *yawn* like so many retro chronographs: a cylinder. Basically a camembert cheese box with lugs. Fortunately, the highly polished bezel gives it some zest. Still in unimaginative routine, there’s a boring stainless steel bracelet, about correctly made but really nothing special. Fortunately, I thought of this 20mm Rios1931 rallye strap, “Russia leather” (Juchten), dark brown: it just enhances the retro look, and magnifies the deep blue dial. Also saves quite some heft, as the s.s. stock bracelet is like all of them: hea-vy.

My only objection is the prominent raised markings, hovering over the dial. They limit the length of the minute and second hands, which don’t reach to the tick marks, so the chronograph function isn’t helped.
    To their defense, the watch is extremely legible when used as a three-hander, just to check what o’clock. Few chronographs manage that — to be also a clear-at-a-glance simple watch. Same at dusk, where the lume (pale green, not blue like the OCS-100) does a good job, very legible and balanced between hands and indexes. To better this, choose either tritium caps or backlighting...

This Lineage is equally at ease with jeans or tweed, city or country. Definitely a keeper, and it might serve just as long as my seventies’ Speedo. If someone inherits it when I’m gone...

Finally, compare prices, and you may understand why I decided I could live without a Manta, or any second Oshi-ansu

Pankorop, we do want to keep to the topic at hand, but we'll allow one Lineage post ;) I've looked at a few Lineage, mainly the titanium/sapphire models but haven't tried one yet. They are usually a tad smaller than what I prefer but thata doesn't mean I wouldn't like them after seeing them on the wrist. Pardon my American ignorance, but is "Oshi-ansu" a Japanese version of Oceanus? I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergfour View Post
    Pankorop, we do want to keep to the topic at hand, but we'll allow one Lineage post ;) I've looked at a few Lineage, mainly the titanium/sapphire models but haven't tried one yet. They are usually a tad smaller than what I prefer but thata doesn't mean I wouldn't like them after seeing them on the wrist. Pardon my American ignorance, but is "Oshi-ansu" a Japanese version of Oceanus? I like it.
    1) Last time, I promise. It’s a great everyday watch (oopsy — here’s a quarter in the jar).

2) Steel case is ok, imho — just as long as you don’t ballast it with a steel bracelet.

3) This half French but double ignoramus* probably speaks less Japanese than you do. The basics: Casio, Honda, sushi, you know... Yet, being “vieille France” (old school) I reserve some words to my MD. I just coined a tongue-in-cheek** would-be Japanese pronounce of Oce-etc. patterned after some authentic distorsions of European words or brands. Maybe Oshi-anusu would be closer, but... nah, forget it.

(*) Could Oceamus have worked? I wear a mus’.
    (**) Not literally, as it could hurt while pronouncing. Better use a hot potatoe.

Quote Originally Posted by PanKorop View Post
    Please allow a slightly heretic intrusion: a poor man’s Oshi-ansu (neh?), with its case back stamped (not engraved) “Cased in China”.

Name:  37A54153-59E4-4021-9C88-7A8A16CE1F92.jpeg
Views: 401
Size:  198.8 KB

While I love my OCS-100, I wanted a modern alternative to my scratched and beaten, hand-wound Speedmaster MkII. So, moderate size, weight and height, reliable, and anything but a busy multicoloured, circus dial. I said Speedo, not Daytona or Tag. The bigger Oceanus models, with all the complications, were tempting, but maybe a bit busy for my liking.

On the paper, the LIW-M700D-2AJF did it all. Now one’s gotta admit that “Daytona” sounds better, but Casio may have an wee bit of an issue with names. At least, “Lineage” is not poorly coined at all.

So, the specs:
    39.5 mm case (with as without the pushers), stainless steel;
    black (or in the option I chose, night-blue) uncluttered symetrical dial, white hands and markers;
    11.5 mm thick, well-curved lugs, spreading 46.5;
    10 atm proof;
    sapphire flat crystal;
    Multi-Band 6;
    Tough Solar;
    Stainless steel.

I got it from a legit German dealer, as it’s not a JDM.
    The case is *yawn* like so many retro chronographs: a cylinder. Basically a camembert cheese box with lugs. Fortunately, the highly polished bezel gives it some zest. Still in unimaginative routine, there’s a boring stainless steel bracelet, about correctly made but really nothing special. Fortunately, I thought of this 20mm Rios1931 rallye strap, “Russia leather” (Juchten), dark brown: it just enhances the retro look, and magnifies the deep blue dial. Also saves quite some heft, as the s.s. stock bracelet is like all of them: hea-vy.

My only objection is the prominent raised markings, hovering over the dial. They limit the length of the minute and second hands, which don’t reach to the tick marks, so the chronograph function isn’t helped.
    To their defense, the watch is extremely legible when used as a three-hander, just to check what o’clock. Few chronographs manage that — to be also a clear-at-a-glance simple watch. Same at dusk, where the lume (pale green, not blue like the OCS-100) does a good job, very legible and balanced between hands and indexes. To better this, choose either tritium caps or backlighting...

This Lineage is equally at ease with jeans or tweed, city or country. Definitely a keeper, and it might serve just as long as my seventies’ Speedo. If someone inherits it when I’m gone...

Finally, compare prices, and you may understand why I decided I could live without a Manta, or any second Oshi-ansu
    Thanks for your post, as I was not familiar w this model. I like smaller watches, and dislike the super busy dials on most radio time watches (and that’s why I picked the Oceanus 100).

I’m confused as this lineage model seems to have all the functionality of my Oceanus (+ chrono), but sells for half the price. Can you help me understand why that is? Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by warsh View Post
    (...)
    I’m confused as this lineage model seems to have all the functionality of my Oceanus (+ chrono), but sells for half the price. Can you help me understand why that is? Am I missing something?
    The Oshi are 100% made in Japan, hand-polished and double-checked by their best watchmakers. The attention to minute, expensive finish details, refined or exotic materials is what makes your three-hander special.
    Also, they may be a lab: test the market (JDM always a lab, any brand) and some innovations. Meanwhile high prices finance the research, and fuel a new, high-end horologist’s image.
    Take the G-shocks: they’re even cheaper than Lineage, but same specs if not higher, bar the analog display.

The Osh is titanium as well and Casio's titanium models are always more $$.

Page 9 of 106 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 59 ... LastLast

Thread Information