WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The Official Casio Oceanus Thread

1M views 5K replies 522 participants last post by  Fergfour 
#1 · (Edited)
In the back of my mind I always think "this is a Casio but it's not a Gshock" when I post an Oceanus in F17. I suppose I could post them in the public forum but honestly I hardly ever go there and I feel that f17 is probably the best forum for Casio fans. I know people post other watches besides G's in the WRUW threads and in the "show your latest G" thread, but I thought it'd be nice to have a thread dedicated to the Oceanus, a place where we can have more in depth reviews and posts specific to Oceanus. This way, if someone isn't a fan they can just skip over it, and if someone is looking for info on Oceanus it's easier to find.

I have recently fell in love with the Oceanus brand and it's what I spend the majority of my time lately researching and hunting. It's not always easy because Casio pulled the Oceanus brand out of the US years ago and much of the info out there requires translation. It's not that I don't still love Gs, but I appreciate other Casios too, Protreks, Edifice, Lineage, etc. I'l start off the thread with my latest purchase, the OCW S1000BJ from 2007. There is another S1000J that has a silver bezel as well. It's an early member of the Manta line, and at the time was meant as a dressier Oceanus. I love the hands on it. That might explain why it's only 5 bar. Most modern Oceanus are 10bar, some of the older models were 20bar. I don't really swim much, and I work in an office so 5 bar will do. At the time it was supposedly the worlds thinnest solar chronograph. It was quite pricey back then too at about a grand. I just won the bid on it today so these pics are from other sites. The first pic is from the auction:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Metal

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property

Here's a review from watchreport: https://www.watchreport.com/review-of-the-oceanus-ocw-s1000-manta/

And here's some more info from some other Japanese site translated:

The latest Oceanus Manta, attempts to combine a multifunction watch with a dress watch. Main features is the thickness and weight, 10.2 mm and weighs in at only 85 g. It's a miracle of modern electronics that they were able to miniaturize all that functionality into such a tiny package. With a titanium carbide coating and sapphire glass, makes it virtually scratch resistant.

* Multi-Band Atomic Timekeeping (US, UK, Germany, Japan)
* Receives time calibration radio signals which keep the displayed time accurate
* Auto receive function (6 times per day)
* Manual receive function
* Signal: US WWVB, UK MSF, Germany DCF77, Japan JJY40/JJY60
* Frequency: US 60kHz, UK 60kHz, Germany 77.5kHz, Japan 40/60kHz
* Tough Solar Power
* 5 bar Water Resistant
* World Time
* 29 times zones (27 cities)
* 1/20 second chronograph
* Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
* Accuracy: +/-20 seconds per month (with no signal calibration)
* Power reserve of 24 months at full charge
* Power Saving Function
* Diameter 42.2 mm
* Thickness 10.2 mm
* Weight 85 g
* Retail Price OCW-S1000J-1AJF ¥ 105,000.00
* Retail Price OCW-S1000BJ-1AJF ¥ 115,500.00

See less See more
#521 ·
Oceanus got them beautiful blue eyes. 💙

Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Blue

#525 · (Edited)
A few days ago l ordered it on Ebay from a seller in Japan, the country that brought the world the '68-'73 Datsun 510/Nissan Bluebird.
That comment evoked images of a BRE 510 tearing it up in Trans Am. Made me feel like a teenager again.

Back OT; I'm hearing the Siren's call of an Oceanus but the depth and breadth of the line as me in analysis to paralysis. I can see my watch budget being dashed on the rocks this year.

#532 ·
Well, l got teased on my incoming Oceanus. Last Tuesday the tracking stated it was in Houston. l said "That was quick from Japan. Wow". The next day it got sent back to the seller because of an "insufficient address". l went to the post office, called them, and they are of no help. l emailed the seller and they got the address correct. So who knows when l'll get it lol. The hardships of mail ordering stuff. Maybe June will be the month that l get my awesome Oceanus.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

#533 ·
Well, l got teased on my incoming Oceanus. Last Tuesday the tracking stated it was in Houston. l said "That was quick from Japan. Wow". The next day it got sent back to the seller because of an "insufficient address". l went to the post office, called them, and they are of no help. l emailed the seller and they got the address correct. So who knows when l'll get it lol. The hardships of mail ordering stuff. Maybe June will be the month that l get my awesome Oceanus.

View attachment 14126225
Ugh ... hate it when stuff like that happens, hang in there man!

#549 ·