The Official Casio Oceanus Thread
Like Tree1829Likes

Thread: The Official Casio Oceanus Thread

Page 1 of 82 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

The Official Casio Oceanus Thread

In the back of my mind I always think "this is a Casio but it's not a Gshock" when I post an Oceanus in F17. I suppose I could post them in the public forum but honestly I hardly ever go there and I feel that f17 is probably the best forum for Casio fans. I know people post other watches besides G's in the WRUW threads and in the "show your latest G" thread, but I thought it'd be nice to have a thread dedicated to the Oceanus, a place where we can have more in depth reviews and posts specific to Oceanus. This way, if someone isn't a fan they can just skip over it, and if someone is looking for info on Oceanus it's easier to find.

I have recently fell in love with the Oceanus brand and it's what I spend the majority of my time lately researching and hunting. It's not always easy because Casio pulled the Oceanus brand out of the US years ago and much of the info out there requires translation. It's not that I don't still love Gs, but I appreciate other Casios too, Protreks, Edifice, Lineage, etc. I'l start off the thread with my latest purchase, the OCW S1000BJ from 2007. There is another S1000J that has a silver bezel as well. It's an early member of the Manta line, and at the time was meant as a dressier Oceanus. I love the hands on it. That might explain why it's only 5 bar. Most modern Oceanus are 10bar, some of the older models were 20bar. I don't really swim much, and I work in an office so 5 bar will do. At the time it was supposedly the worlds thinnest solar chronograph. It was quite pricey back then too at about a grand. I just won the bid on it today so these pics are from other sites. The first pic is from the auction:

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 2012
Size:  132.3 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2036
Size:  151.8 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  109.1 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1963
Size:  118.7 KB

Here's a review from watchreport: https://www.watchreport.com/review-o...w-s1000-manta/

And here's some more info from some other Japanese site translated:

The latest Oceanus Manta, attempts to combine a multifunction watch with a dress watch. Main features is the thickness and weight, 10.2 mm and weighs in at only 85 g. It’s a miracle of modern electronics that they were able to miniaturize all that functionality into such a tiny package. With a titanium carbide coating and sapphire glass, makes it virtually scratch resistant.

* Multi-Band Atomic Timekeeping (US, UK, Germany, Japan)
    * Receives time calibration radio signals which keep the displayed time accurate
    * Auto receive function (6 times per day)
    * Manual receive function
    * Signal: US WWVB, UK MSF, Germany DCF77, Japan JJY40/JJY60
    * Frequency: US 60kHz, UK 60kHz, Germany 77.5kHz, Japan 40/60kHz
    * Tough Solar Power
    * 5 bar Water Resistant
    * World Time
    * 29 times zones (27 cities)
    * 1/20 second chronograph
    * Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
    * Accuracy: +/-20 seconds per month (with no signal calibration)
    * Power reserve of 24 months at full charge
    * Power Saving Function
    * Diameter 42.2 mm
    * Thickness 10.2 mm
    * Weight 85 g
    * Retail Price OCW-S1000J-1AJF ¥ 105,000.00
    * Retail Price OCW-S1000BJ-1AJF ¥ 115,500.00
    Last edited by Fergfour; August 6th, 2018 at 02:03.

Re: The Official Casio Oceanus Thread

It will be lost in public. Here we all can enjoy these great watches.
    Also considering there is some model of G sharing module/caliber it's right place.
    Ottovonn, Fergfour, bmfang and 3 others like this.
    It should be special!

I always enjoy seeing when others' post their Oceanus watches in various threads. This thread is most certainly welcome, especially for folks like myself who don't know much about these watches.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great thread, Fergfour! Here's a pic of my only Oceanus. (a fact which, no doubt, will one day change.... Where there is one, there will one day be two....)

OCW-T2610H-7AJF

Casio G-shock
    MRG-G1000B-1ADR, MTG-B1000TF-1AJR, GMW-B5000TFC-1, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000GD-9, GMW-B5000V-1, GMW-B5000G-1, GPR-B1000-1, GPR-B1000-1B, GWG-1000-1A, GW-9400-1, GW-9400DCJ-1, GW-9400BTJ-8, GW-9401KJ-3JR, GW-5000-1JF, GW-B5600FB-4JR, GW-B5600HR-1, GW-B5600BC-1B, GXW-56BB-1JF, GXW-56-1BJF, GW-3000M-4A, DW-5035D-1B, DW-5600BB (x2), DW-5600E (x2), DW-5600EG-9V, DW-5600CL-1, GW-M5610TR-7JF, DW-5600MS, GLS-5600CL-1, GLS-5600CL-3, DW-6930, GA-100MM-8A, G100BB-1A, GLS-6900-9JF, G-8900SC, GD-350-1B, GD-400-9CS, DW-6900MS, GD-120CM-4, GD-X6900CM-5, GLS-8900CM-2, GW-002KA.
    Casio Protrek/Pathfinder
    PAG-240B-2, PRW-2500R-1, PRW-3100FC-1JF, PRX-8000T-7AJF.
    Casio AE-1200 (x2)
    Casio W217H-1A
    MDV106-1A
    MTD1080-7A

Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    Great thread, Fergfour! Here's a pic of my only Oceanus. (a fact which, no doubt, will one day change.... Where there is one, there will one day be two....)

OCW-T2610H-7AJF

I love that T4P, the white and light blue is very nice. And mother of pearl on a Casio?? Wow.

i vote making this a Sticky.

how about an Edifice dedicated tread too?

and for Rotoslav,,,,"other"
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    For most of us, when we wear a bad-a** watch, the characteristics of the watch "bleed over" to us -- and suddenly, WE are bad-a**es!
    For some members here though -- like Steelerswit, and Kubr1ck -- they have so much inherent "bad-a**ery" that when they put on a bad-a** watch, the energy flows from them TO the watch, making the watch EVEN MORE bad-a**!!! Yes, it's a real scientific phenomenon that obscure mad scientists only recently discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerswit View Post
    i vote making this a Sticky.
    how about an Edifice dedicated tread too?
    and for Rotoslav,,,,"other"
    LOL. Let's face it, we see all the Casio brands in F17 and personally I like that because the only other thread I look at is the Digital ABC. Oceanus doesn't really fall into that territory either so I figured F17 was the best fit.
    I've noticed a small "wave" making it's way through F17 lately. Harald, James, T4P, Kub, others. Makes sense to have a centralized place where you know you can get answers and find info. Or, if you're just in the mood to browse. To me it's easier than doing a search and getting a a ton of posts spread across multiple threads. I have a handful of Oceanus I'll be posting here in the future anyway. I'd love to see others, I know you're out there...

It's so hard to pass over the S100 in the daily rotation! I sometimes feel the S100 is to Oceanus as the GW5000 is to Gshock. Neither is the most expensive, neither has the most or newest capabilities, but they have that certain intangible something about them.

I was waiting for you to start this thread, Ferg. This line definitely deserves it. I read that Casio designed the Oceanus line to be sporty dress watches, using high grade materials and incorporating their most advanced technology, which explains how lightweight and thin most of these pieces are. Last March I picked up a near-mint, pre-owned OCW-G1000B-1AJF from a seller in Japan as a way of testing the waters since I was new to the line, and as you mentioned, there isn't much English-language material available about it. I work long hours in an office environment, and I've been very pleased with the fact that when I wear this one, I forget I have it on, which isn't something I can say about other high-end Casios like the MR-G and Pro Trek Manaslu, which I love equally but are built according to slightly different principles (namely shock resist and outdoor use).

Titanium with DLC coating, sapphire crystal, tough solar, MB6 and GPS sync, this thing packs a punch in its build quality, technology and fit & finish. Like many other Oshis, the metallic bits on the dial (namely the hands and indices) are tinted in very subtle bluish-green highlights, so when the light bounces off the dial, it reflects off the AR-coating of the crystal and makes the whole dial glow in an aqua-colored resplendence. Very special, which is what you'd expect when you dish out the extra dough for pieces like this.

Name:  IMAG8841.jpg
Views: 1864
Size:  2.49 MB

Name:  IMAG8835.jpg
Views: 1809
Size:  2.13 MB

Name:  IMAG8831.jpg
Views: 1834
Size:  2.30 MB

Name:  IMAG0488.jpg
Views: 1863
Size:  2.43 MB

Name:  IMAG0482.jpg
Views: 1847
Size:  2.10 MB

In any case, I am now 110% sold on the line, so have pushed the button on my second Oshi, which is the OCW-G2000-1AJF that harald-hans and James142 already own. Should arrive from Japan later this week or early next. Looking forward to sharing photos and impressions on this thread.
    "When the shadow of the sash appeared in the curtains it was between seven and eight o'clock and then I was in time again, hearing the watch. It was Grandfather's and when Father gave it to me he said I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire.... I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all your breath trying to conquer it."
    --William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury (1929)

Page 1 of 82 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread Information