older watches and solar batteries
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By yankeexpress
  • 2 Post By yankeexpress

Thread: older watches and solar batteries

older watches and solar batteries

Hello All,

I'm rather new here, so please forgive any questions which have already been discussed. I've attempted to use the search feature with little success.

First, I'm looking at getting the GW7900B-1 which is a watch that (I think) that Casio no longer produces. They are still for sale which means the solar batteries have been laying around for a few years. I'm wondering how long solar batteries in these G-shocks last? At some point does the watch just stop working and if so, should I take this into account when purchasing a watch that is out of production?

Secondly, I live in an area that does not allow me to run down and see many of these watches in person........ so, I'm wondering any current thoughts, long term use reviews, etc on this particular watch --

Thank you for any input, anecdotes, and/or pics.

bradahj

Re: older watches and solar batteries

Well, I've owned three (or four) of the GW7900B-1 and some other custom ones of the GW7900 family ;)

Your biggest issue might be the negative display, which some people don't like. That's all personal preference, and an "easy" fix if you know what you're doing. That's another story though.

As far as the rechargeable batteries, they should be fine for numerous years, and are easily replaced if need be. The actual solar panels in the watch should never need to be "maintained" or messed with. I don't find this to be an issue whatsoever, personally.

Where by chance do you live, if I may ask?
    Last edited by TRSCP; October 2nd, 2015 at 02:08.

Some seller might keep their watch under indoor light so it should keep recharging.

I am not sure about the expected life of solar batteries after it has been discharged completely for some time.
    However last week I just bought unused JDM model still plastic wrapped on face and band, and the battery was totally empty. From the warranty card seems it was sold first in 2009. After charging 24 hours under bright LED it's up and running.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The solar watches are resilient in that every single one I have seen that was blank on arrival eventually recovered fully, though sometimes it can take many days of direct sunlight to come back to life. Have never had to replace a solar battery and some of the early Raysman, the original solar G-Shock, are over 15 years old now.

As for the GW-7900B, there are 2 issues:

1) as mentioned, are you comfortable with seeing the negative display?
    2) how big is your wrist? The 7900 series are big watches. Are you comfortable with a large watch?

GW-7900MS-3

Both GW-7900

Last edited by yankeexpress; October 2nd, 2015 at 03:44.
    igureta, RHJones and A.J. Franzman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bradahj View Post
    I'm rather new here, so please forgive any questions which have already been discussed. I've attempted to use the search feature with little success.
    Hi and welcome! For starters, forget the forum "search" even exists and you'll save a LOT of future headaches. Seriously.

Instead, use Google and "force" it to find the search terms and/or phrases from this forum. Plug "site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 solar life" into Google (minus the ' marks) and you'll get this: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...utf-8&oe=utf-8

(site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 will search just the Casio G-Shock subforum, so if you want to search ALL of the forum -- including the Casio G-Shock sub-subforums like "Articles and Tutorials" -- leave the /f17 part off.)

First, I'm looking at getting the GW7900B-1 which is a watch that (I think) that Casio no longer produces. They are still for sale which means the solar batteries have been laying around for a few years. I'm wondering how long solar batteries in these G-shocks last? At some point does the watch just stop working and if so, should I take this into account when purchasing a watch that is out of production?
    Nobody's really sure how long Casio's solar batteries will last, since they haven't been making solar watches long enough!

Some of the earliest solar/atomic Casios like the GW-300 had defective batteries when they left the factory, and they only lasted a few years, so some people still think that solar-powered batteries only last that long. Casio contacted the battery manufacturer, got the problem solved, and most of the watches since then haven't needed battery replacement yet! As long as the battery is kept charged, there's no reason that it shouldn't last AT LEAST ten years, and there are a few around here that have reached the 15 year mark. Once enough well-maintained watches start needing their batteries to be replaced we'll have a better idea of an "average" lifespan, but right now most of the batteries that have needed to be replaced have been on watches that were put in a dark drawer for a couple of years and the battery drained completely -- which is hard on those types of batteries.

Secondly, I live in an area that does not allow me to run down and see many of these watches in person........ so, I'm wondering any current thoughts, long term use reviews, etc on this particular watch --

Thank you for any input, anecdotes, and/or pics.
    As TRSCP said, the biggest issue may be the negative display. (Use those Google search tips to search the forum for "negative display" and you'll get a hundred "hits.") There have been multiple polls over the years about "negative versus positive" and the consensus seems to be that negative displays LOOK cool, but positive displays are generally easier to read, especially in indoor or dim lighting. All of Casio's official pictures have been taken in bright "studio lighting" so they look their best, and may have been digitally enhanced, but a common complaint is that "my new negative display watch is hard to read, and the display doesn't look as good as the one in the picture."

While it's certainly possible to take apart a G-Shock and change a negative display to a positive, it's a somewhat complicated "mod" that most beginners probably wouldn't want to experiment with on a brand new watch, and would definitely affect the warranty. While you may not be able to run down and see this particular watch in person, I usually advise people to visit a store and at least see another model (or two) with a negative display in person before buying one.

Early solar still going strong, GW-400

sodamonkey and JSM1973 like this.

Thread Information