Which one to buy/questions

Thread: Which one to buy/questions

Which one to buy/questions

Hey everyone,

Looking to buy my first G shock, and I think I've narrowed it down to the 6600 or 6900. I just need a basic, tough as nails watch for a beater, and with how often these seem to be used by military/police/ems/firefighters/etc, they appear to fit the bill. A couple of questions though:

On the 6600, I'm not too sure about the "G" in the background. For those that have it, how distracting is it?

On the 6900, what function do the three eyes serve? I know on the solar/atomic version they have charge/reception/seconds, but on this version are all three seconds?

What are the primary differences, and if you prefer one over the other, why?

Thanks for any responses, hopefully ill be able to post pics of one of these in a couple weeks

Re: Which one to buy/questions

Hi,
    I have the DW-6600 without the 'G' - you can tell by the model number - DW-6600C has the 'G' - DW-6600-1 does not. The eyes on the DW-6900 show seconds im time-keeping mode (right eye shows 5-sec increments) - in the stopwatch and timer mode the two on the left show 1/10 sec and the one on the right 1-sec increments. I do prefer the DW-6600 because it has bigger digits and a bigger display. And it also has upwards and downwards scrolling on the setting screens. However it only has a 60 min timer but makes up for it with the 'target time' feature on the stopwatch (you can set a time between 1 sec and 23hr59min59sec) - when the watch reaches the target time it beeps - kind of like a count-up timer. This way you can time two completely independent events with one watch. The DW-6600 also has the brightest backlight of all Gs - that however makes the battery drain a little faster:

On the DW-6600 you can change 24h/12h format with one button press (maybe one of the reasons for it being so popular among military). The DW-6600 has a '1-year-calender' which means you gotta change the date in leap years by hand when Feb has one day more. Just one thing to keep in mind - both the DW-6600 and DW-6900 basic version are nowadays 'Made in China' - but I can't see the slightest difference in quality.

To break it down:
    DW-6600
    - target time feature
    - 60 min timer - current time shown in timer mode
    - 24 hr stopwatch
    - '1-year-calender'
    - bright backlight
    - upwards/downwards scrolling
    - no time shown in stopwatch mode
    - no 'date alarm'

DW-6900
    - 24 hr timer
    - 24 hr stopwatch
    - time shown in timer and stopwatch mode
    - 'date alarm' (alarm can be set fo specific date/month)
    - no downwards scrolling
    - programmed calender till 2039

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

The problem is, the only places I've found the 6600-1 it's being sold in the $120+ range, whereas the 6600C is in the $40-$45 range. I can't really justify the extra $80 to not have a "G" in the backlight. I do think that with those features I'm leaning more towards the 6600 though, the eyes on the 6900 just seem kinda useless to me

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't think the 'G' will be much of a problem. Considering the useless eyes - the DW-6600 has some useless graphics, too - in the middle of the display. I'm not really opposed to useless graphics - quite the opposite, but on the DW-6900 they just take up too much space I think. If you're good at 'do-it-yourself'-stuff you can even remove the backlight picture but you'd have to completely disassemble the module. Here's a little pic with a backlight:

I don't think it's taking away from legibility at all.

Here are some pics of DW-6600s with backlight images:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/49197-post6.html
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/*so....html#poststop

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Thread Information