The one that started the madness...
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The one that started the madness...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The one that started the madness...

I was recollecting the other day about which of my G's was the first one, you know, the one which started me off...

It was the GW-2500. Bought in 2009, if I recall correctly.

I picked it up from a marketplace seller on Amazon for a decent price. I couldn't believe the brilliant features it had, and it kind of made me think of a poor man's Breitling Aerospace - only with a better user interface: decent buttons rather than a fiddly crown!

I decided to give it a bit of wrist time...

Name:  DSCF3827.JPG
Views: 499
Size:  415.2 KB

Name:  DSCF3812.JPG
Views: 486
Size:  339.7 KB

Name:  DSCF3814.JPG
Views: 481
Size:  324.3 KB

Name:  DSCF3815.JPG
Views: 484
Size:  330.5 KB

Name:  DSCF3818.JPG
Views: 482
Size:  328.4 KB

Name:  DSCF3819.JPG
Views: 478
Size:  416.7 KB

A little while later, I spotted a GW-2500BD on ebay for not much money. The sellers photos were rather poor (probably the reason for the low bids), but I took a punt on it, and was very happy with the outcome...

Name:  DSCF3820.JPG
Views: 474
Size:  844.0 KB

Name:  DSCF3824.JPG
Views: 476
Size:  731.4 KB

And then I got a GW-M5600, followed by a DW-5000SL...

You know how it goes...

Would love to see some photos of your first G's - the ones that started it all off for you...

Re: The one that started the madness...

This is my first one: the DW-5000C.

Name:  2014-02-18_17-16-04_910_zps7uathmbj.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  73.0 KB

I'd been in the market for a digital watch and was debating between a G-Shock and a Timex. The tipping point was the fact that, like me, G-Shocks were born in 1983. I set out for a G and lucked into my DW-5000C at a flea market. I need to get around to restoring it, but it's a great weekend wear watch. I split time between a DW-5000-1JF and my custom DW-5030-1JR for daily wear nowadays.
    sticktodrum and Crater like this.

kj2

Started with a GA-100. Simple watch, but was instantly hooked on G-shock :D
    Since then the collection started growing and growing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jrp316 View Post
    This is my first one: the DW-5000C.

I set out for a G and lucked into my DW-5000C at a flea market. I need to get around to restoring it, but it's a great weekend wear watch. I split time between a DW-5000-1JF and my custom DW-5030-1JR for daily wear nowadays.
    You can't go wrong with a DW-5000C - I was lucky enough to get one a few years ago for not much money - bare steel case, dead battery - but a new strap, genuine Casio bezel (when they were still available), battery and gasket saw it looking good and working well. I take mine out for an outing from time to time, but apart from the "originality" factor of the "C", I prefer to wear my DW-5000SL, or my GW-5000.

What started it off for me were the DW-5600E and DW-6900 bought so close together they might as well have been bought the same day. And the collection grew like a snowball rolling down Mt. Everest picking up speed and size quite quickly.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

I started my G-Shock collection three times, sort of. The first two times, I bought one G-Shock and stopped there.

1993: I bought an AW-550 to replace my Casio AQ-100. I wore it for a couple of years. I mostly liked the watch, but hated the crappy lume and the lack of a backlight. When the battery died a couple of years later, I replaced it but it didn't come back to life. Since I didn't know about "AC resets" then (and didn't have WUS as a resource) it languished in a drawer for many years while the bezel suffered "resin rot."

Name:  AW-550-1E cropped.png
Views: 340
Size:  185.5 KB

2001: I bought a DW-5600E because I wanted a cheap, dependable "beater." I wore it off and on for several years, often as a "daily wearer" for months at a time. In 2012, after discovering this forum, I decided to change it over to a negative display mostly because I could, not realizing how bad visibility is for negative displays. Now it sits in a drawer while I wear my (many) other watches.

Name:  DW-5600E-1V.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  27.7 KB

2011: I bought a MTG-900 because I wanted a simple, easy-to-read digital watch. At first, I loved everything about it except for the bracelet, which led me to this forum, information on how to install a strap instead, and my first forum posts. Then I started to dislike its wonky, early-Waveceptor behavior (like synching over and over each night.) Hanging around this forum led me to buy several different G-Shocks, each one closer to my ideal watch, but not quite close enough until I found the GW-6900 and put one on adapters and a 24mm Zulu strap. That one made me happy for a couple of years until I discovered Casio's Pathfinder/Pro Trek line.

Name:  MTG-900DA-8V sm.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  63.1 KB
    Rocat and Crater like this.

AWG-M100. The only one I wear, but I picked up a couple to "collect":

Attachment 4815873

Kacprzak1991 likes this.

My first G-Shock was the GW330A, see my story of how that watch got destroyed (by me). https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/int...d-1116242.html Unfortunately, I couldn't find a clear photo of it while it was working.

Anyway, this first G, Did Not start the G madness. I simply bought it and continued my 1 watch at a time routine. It was not until years later, after my failed attempt to revive it and then bought my 2nd G, that's when the madness started. My second G is also a AWG-M100 like the one for the member above. Here's a picture of it, when I cause it during deep sleep (2nd stage power save).

Name:  DeepSleepWatch.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  117.3 KB
    muphasta and Crater like this.

AWG-M100 - nice watch! I've had to resist the temptation of that one so many times. Successfully - so far!

Mandobear, thats a brilliant looking Aviator there, one of the nicest. And it's decent size... you could pull off the newer bigger Aviator models with your wrists, but this one is nice and compact compared to them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information