One Year with the GMW-B5000
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: One Year with the GMW-B5000

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

One Year with the GMW-B5000

Looking back through photos, I realized that yesterday marked the one year anniversary of me and my Full Metal Square. This watch has been a huge part of my limited rotation in the last year, a wonderful piece that I feel can go anywhere with me. Itís been my primary travel watch, and Iíve done a good bit of traveling this last year. It works in pretty much any situation I might find myself in, always looks fantastic, and I find it very fun to discuss with anyone interested (doesnít happen much :) )
    I bought the B5000 to be my ďgrab-and-goĒ Quartz, as well as an easy to wear bracelet watch. It has had about 30% wrist time over the last year, which is second place to my SBDX017 MM300, but weíll ahead of my other few watches. Owning it has made me really question my GW-5000, and a really great Froggy (GWF-D1000) was sold.
    The only thing Iíve second guessed was whether to keep the steel or the gold IP version. I had both, and decided the steel would get more wear. Itís gotten a lot of wear, for sure, but I sometimes find myself longing for the gold version.
    Anyway, some photos from the last year. This watch has absolutely been $500 well spent. I adore it, and look forward to many more fine years together.
    Ottovonn, wtma, GaryK30 and 12 others like this.
    Seikos: SBDX017, SKX173, 6139-6002
    G-Shocks: GWF-D1000B, GMW-B5000D-1, GW-5000

Re: One Year with the GMW-B5000

I have the same model and itís a keeper for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    il Pirati and babyivan like this.

Whats not to like about it?

The perfect G-Shock for grab and go

No resin rot that makes your bezel or strap crumble

Easy to size with no special tools(just a tiny screw driver)

That being said, even with all that adjusting, the watch was ether a bit too loose or too tight depending upon the temp for me so I sold mine
    il Pirati likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by journeyforce View Post
    ... No resin rot that makes your bezel or strap crumble ...
    How many centuries does it take for this to happen?

But, seriously, have you ever actually experienced this, and under what conditions? Inquiring minds....
    il Pirati likes this.
    Watches. Waits. Then gets more.... Watches!

Quote Originally Posted by journeyforce View Post
    Whats not to like about it?

The perfect G-Shock for grab and go

No resin rot that makes your bezel or strap crumble

Easy to size with no special tools(just a tiny screw driver)

That being said, even with all that adjusting, the watch was ether a bit too loose or too tight depending upon the temp for me so I sold mine
    It's too bad Casio doesn't include tool-free micro-adjust on more models with bracelets. This is a useful feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Viseguy View Post

But, seriously, have you ever actually experienced this, and under what conditions? Inquiring minds....
    I have had resin rot on my 1998 Raysman 5 years later for the band (bought a new one) and 7 years later for the bezel.
    I was happy then as my citizen Aqualand band was rot after one year back in the 90's... Maximum 2 years.
    So for me the Raysman was a improvement compared to the Aqua land.

I have bought that Zulu strap for the Aqualand in 1999... Twenty years later it still in perfect shape.

So yes resin rot is a plague.
    And yes I do love my B5000 too because of its full metal construction.

Envoyť de mon SM-G965F en utilisant Tapatalk

Nice write up and photos. Thanks for sharing. Casio hit a home run with these all metal squares, and this is coming from someone who was initially pretty skeptical. You've gotta spend some time with these pieces to truly appreciate them.
    "When the shadow of the sash appeared in the curtains it was between seven and eight o'clock and then I was in time again, hearing the watch. It was Grandfather's and when Father gave it to me he said I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire.... I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all your breath trying to conquer it."
    --William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury (1929)

Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    Nice write up and photos. Thanks for sharing. Casio hit a home run with these all metal squares, and this is coming from someone who was initially pretty skeptical. You've gotta spend some time with these pieces to truly appreciate them.
    I was extremely excited when these were announced, and eagerly anticipated getting a hold of one. I jumped at the first gold one I saw used, and it was fantastic. But I kept thinking it wasnít quite ďmeĒ. I bought the steel one new, and decided it was definitely ďmeĒ. Iíd love to get my hands on the Porters LE, but they are way out of reach at this point. Iím not sold on the black, the new brushed gold with negative face is really good looking, but Iím pretty happy with the olí steel. Itís so easy to wear. I never feel underdressed with it. The bracelet is very nice, maybe the best I own. I love the upgrades to the movement from the GW-5000. All in all, a really great piece that has certainly lived up to the hype.
    Seikos: SBDX017, SKX173, 6139-6002
    G-Shocks: GWF-D1000B, GMW-B5000D-1, GW-5000

I am delighted with mine, really very surprised.

I would buy it a thousand times

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    kubr1ck and il Pirati like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Viseguy View Post

Try to find an original 5600C square from the 1980s which hasn't had it's bezel disintergrate; eBay regularly has 5600Cs with absent bezels. Below are 3 currently on ebay. The other 5600Cs with bezel are sporting replacements.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Casio-G-SHOCK-DW-5600-C-Module-691-Original-1980-s/283551857119?hash=item420501f9df:g:HUQAAOSwJO9dMBS o

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-C...QAAOSwJO9dMBSo

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Casio-G-S...oAAOSwV1Vb00Qs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast