An "Open Letter" Request To Casio...

Thread: An "Open Letter" Request To Casio...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

An "Open Letter" Request To Casio...

There has been a bit of talk here on the forum of Casio taking some of the G-Shocks "Up Market". I believe that providing a bracelet option would be an excellent way to do so.

It would also mirror the practice of many high line watches like Breitling for example, where one has a choice between a strap or bracelet. All of my Breitlings are equipped with bracelets as I find them the most comfortable way to wear a watch. With the deployment clasp, they are very secure and there is very little chance of dropping one that way. Also as one that likes to wear his watch a bit loose, this is easily accomplished with a bracelet and still have it conform to ones wrist. In fact for me, the comfort factor is a very significant part of the decision making process when selecting watches for my collection. Because they are so comfortable, as well as meeting my criterion in other areas, I have 10 Breitlings

When I buckle a watch like my GW-9200-1 Riseman on a bit loose, the strap hugs the sides of my wrists, and makes no contact on the bottom. Due to it's stiffness, it retains a circular shape instead of conforming to ones wrist. Therefore their is an ugly and large gap on the bottom, between the strap and my wrist. For those who like to wear a strap tight, this is not an issue. Because of this rather awkward and stubborn way that resin maintains a circular shape on ones wrist, I find that I tend not to wear it. Had I realized this before purchasing the watch I would have probably passed. And I'm _not_ bashing or criticizing Casio, just sharing my thoughts and experiences. Quite the contrary, it's the very reason I'm writing this entry. I would love nothing more than to see Casio step up and immediately begin offering bracelets for more of their G-Shocks. It would provide a popular option which would in this writers opinion, increase their sales to discerning customers that also prefer a bracelet on their watch.

The Riseman is one of my favorite G's and yet it tends to sit unworn. With a bracelet, I would wear it comfortably, without hesitation, and it would be part of my daily rotation.

Furthermore, if Casio offered bracelets for most of the new models, I can assure you my current collection of G-Shocks would easily be three times the size it is now, which numbers just 6. That's how much I prefer a bracelet. So much so, it's the limiting factor in my current plans to buy new G-Shocks. A limiting factor that frankly, is quite frustrating since I have become very fond of the G-Shock style, the number of models, and the great fun and camaraderie here on this forum. I would take great joy in expanding my collection of G-Shocks.

Presently my two favorite G-Shocks, that I delight in wearing (daily) for their comfort, looks, durability and accurate timekeeping are my G-6900-1, that came with a resin strap which I replaced with the stealth black bracelet, and my new GW-6900BC-1JF that came with the bracelet already installed.

Here they are, looking quite nice, a sterling example of what an improvement the bracelet is in both appearance and comfort.

Cheers...

Top: GW-6900BC-1JF ... Bottom: G-6900-1 (w/self-installed stealth bracelet)
    Last edited by archer6; September 11th, 2009 at 19:50.

Re: An "Open Letter" Request To Casio...

I too would love to see the composite bracelet available for a wide variety of watches.

In fairness though, I've learned that the pre-curved straps will relax over time and develop a sort of "wrist memory". Once that is achieved, they can be more comfortable than a bracelet.

i like a bracelet on some models, but not others (usually the basic models)..

however, a choice would be good, as not everyone thinks the same.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog15 View Post
    I've learned that the pre-curved straps will relax over time and develop a sort of "wrist memory". Once that is achieved, they can be more comfortable than a bracelet.
    Point taken. How does one achieve the "wrist memory" you speak of ? Do I have to wear it buckled firmly to my wrist? And if so, for how long ?

As I wear it now, I don't see what would cause it to change it's shape?

You've peaked my interest, and I'm more than open to try whatever is needed to achieve this effect, and enjoy a strap that is comfortable.

I look forward to your response.

Cheers...

Suspended

I agree, bracelets would be nice. Either with the watch or seperate.

You'd think someone would consider making aftermarket bracelets considering the volume of G shocks out there.

archer, i am happy to sign your letter. [emoticon of dude with rubber stamp] casio could accomplish this by having one or two bracelets (i.e. the popular composite maybe joined by something a little fancier) that are sold online and mate with adapters for specific models or series. i.e. the gw9010 and gw9200 could use 'adapter b', the 5500 'adapter h', and so on. have you looked at mtg or mrg watches? because i think casio would probably say that is their option for bracelet aficionados.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

Off Topic post Re: An "Open Letter" Request To Casio...

+1 for me too...

The only reason I havent bought a Riseman is that I only like bracelets.
    It's one of the few G's that has everything... Solar, Atomic, Time visible in
    all modes, 24H CDT plus loads more.... Yet it will stay un purchased, all
    because of a simple bracelet option.

Cheers,
    Rico.

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Point taken. How does one achieve the "wrist memory" you speak of ? Do I have to wear it buckled firmly to my wrist? And if so, for how long ?

As I wear it now, I don't see what would cause it to change it's shape?

You've peaked my interest, and I'm more than open to try whatever is needed to achieve this effect, and enjoy a strap that is comfortable.

I look forward to your response.

Cheers...
    You know I have above average wrist size too and have experienced the same problem, the curve of the strap puts pressure on the sides of my wrist, even when it is loose enough the stick 2 or 3 fingers between the buckle.

From the way I see it, most of the curve comes from what I call the expansion part of the strap. I hold the strap against the case and flex the "U's" of the strap untill the top of the U's meet. I usually work the buckle side more than the strap side, but 6 or 8 times and it has stretched and relaxed enough for me to wear it long enough in what I think will be the right hole to finish the memory part.

There is little doubt that Casio is making moves with certain lines and selected models to offer a more up market product. Realistically to maintain market presence they have little option, given the competition at the entry level from other manufacturers. Many just need a reliable & durable timepiece, and why pay $50, $70 a $100 for a G-Shock when many no name brands will suffice at a fraction of the cost.

I just hope that Casio is able to maintain a balance and retain the value they presently offer, however I do rather fear that in many markets the prices may become beyond what the average guy/fan is willing to pay, and will preclude many from ownership. Already in some geographic markets you will not see the full range due to the local economics, let alone the likes of a Frogman.

It will be interesting to observe how Casio manages this transition, they are clearly technically capable of manufacturing a more desirable and higher priced product, the question is will the general public embrace such a move, given the sharp increase in pricing. We already see diametrically opposed views here on WUS regarding the new "Atomic" Frogman, my own observation is that marque`s that have successfully accomplished a higher market status, generally focus on increasing profit margins, and not value to the customer, as I say it will prove interesting.

As for bracelets & straps you have to ask what is in it for Casio, personally I think it is a good concept, although I believe Casio has higher aspirations.

Q-6

I prefer resin, but choice is good.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information