Orange vs Black King: Caught the King bug and would like to hear some input
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Orange vs Black King: Caught the King bug and would like to hear some input

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Off Topic post Orange vs Black King: Caught the King bug and would like to hear some input

I never thought I'd seriously consider one-- I prefer watches in the 38-42mm range -- but I think I've caught the bug after months of seeing it on the forums. My largest watch is the Seiko Tuna, so the King would definitely dwarf even that piece. But I like the design. The classic square design that I love is apparent in the King, a larger-than-life interpretation of a classic.

So, I want a King. I've tried it on before and while it looked huge on my small wrist, I think I can pull it off considering my body build. I mean, it looked okay while checking the watch out in a mirror. That said, my rationale is that since I'm going big with the King, I'd might as well go all the way and go orange for a big, bold wrist statement.

It's hard to tell from pictures (it appears reddish in some, bright orange in others) but do you think it's too orange for daily wear? Or would it be more advisable to play it safe and go with a black King? Was there anything that made you regret going orange? Did it appear to be "cartoonish" in appearance due to the size and orange color? Or more of a toolish watch that exudes boldness due to its color and size?

Ultimately, this is of course a personal choice, but I'd love to hear input from King owners.
    Last edited by Ottovonn; October 16th, 2013 at 04:10.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Re: Orange vs Black King: Caught the King bug and would like to hear some input

I have 4 kings, red and black, blue and black atomic, black with positive display, and most recently the orange. I love them all. I waited a long time before I finally pulled the trigger on the orange one. I like the orange alot and it's orange for sure not reddish or anything else, just orange. My only problem with the orange is that it has a tendency to get dirty from wear and I find it hard to clean. I guess I never noticed it before because of the black bezel and band on all the others. The orange seems mostly to be for summer time when wearing short sleeves, as it even picks up the dark color from what ever shirt you may be wearing if it's got long sleeves.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381890305.458972.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  31.1 KB

After a while it just doesn't look as crisp of an orange as when new. I'm going to try using a magic ersaer on it and see if that helps.
    Ottovonn and Deepsea_dweller like this.
    When was it ever a question of need?

Omega: Seamaster DeVille, Speedmaster 3523.80, Doxa: Sub 750T Pro GMT #387, Prometheus: S80 #75 of 150, Seiko: Alarm Chrono H249-5069, Chrono Diver 7T32-7E49, Black Monster SKX779K1, Orange Monster SKX781K1, Blue Sumo SBDC003, 5 Sports Blue Mini Monster, 5 Sports White Mini Monster, 5 Sports WSNK841, Type II 7559-601A, Casio: G-Shock DW-5000, PathFinder PRT-50, G-Shock DW-003, G-Shock GA100A-7A, G-Shock GD100HC-1, G-Shock G9000MS-1 Mudman, G-Shock G9000MX-2 Mudman, G-Shock G9000MX-4 Mudman, G-Shock GX56-1A King, G-Shock GW3000B-1A, G-Shock DW6900HM-2, G-ShocK DW6900-1V, SGW-100, G-Shock G5600CC-2DR, G-Shock GXW-56E-1JF King, G-Shock GF-8250ER-2 Frogman, G-Shock DW6930-4ER, G-Shock G-9100-2 Gulfman, G-Shock GX-56-1B King, Citizen: NaviHawk Blue Angels C300-Q00842, Largo Eco Drive BL5142-56P, Promaster 300m Pro Diver BJ8050-08E Ecozilla, Timex: Intelligent Quartz T 2N729, Fossil: Blue Titanium TI-5010, AM-4116, AM-2370, Arkitekt FS-4250...

i have almost all but the green KG and the red/black, I wear the orange King most, then the positive one. Have no problems whatsoever when dressing with it. One small "regret" is the resins get dirty

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I only have the Army Green King and if I were to get another, it would be the Orange King. I would say the orange looks close to the colour US Coast Guard uses on their orange bits of kit...

You have a smart collection of watches which covers just about any occasion (I like that Sinn BTW) and that Seiko is a nice dress watch on leather strap... With all that already in the bag, an Orange King would be an excellent addition.

I think Orange King does indeed exude a toolish outdoorsy boldness... Go for it!
    Ottovonn likes this.

I consider King to be the greatest G-Shock of all time, but I didn't like the orange one. I had it for few weeks and sold it.

I found orange bezel to be a bit different color than the belt.

I think that contrast of negative display was slightly worse than in GX-561A red and black version:

Name:  04.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  230.8 KB

Cheers, Piowa
    Chrisek and Ottovonn like this.

I have the orange the black with gold letters (GB), the black with red inserts (1A), and the green (KG3).

The discoloration of the orange is very real and we'll documented on WUS. Don't wear it with sleeves of any kind. I love mine, and am considering spare resin for it.

I hear what Piowa is saying, but the GB is far fainter (more difficult to read).

For a first king? If you treat it as a party on your wrist, get the orange. I can't see getting rid of mine.

My only regret with G's so far is how long I put off purchasing my orange king. Fortunately Feisar set me straight. :beer:

sent with aloha
    Piowa and G-fob like this.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

haha I feel like there has been more King threads on here than Rangeman threads recently.. awesome! All Hail the King!

The obvios answer is: get both! But seriously - if in doubt - go with black. I have both and I mostly wear the black one. I didn't like the red buttons at first but now I love them - it's the classic Casio color-scheme first used on the DW-5500C. And it goes well with my Nikes with the red sole .

Cheers, Sedi

Orange definitely on my list. Not now but sometimes not so distant future. Our HKG climate simply asking for it - same with Honolulu and all the other sunny and warm parts of the world You really need short sleeves for showing off this great orange King IMHO. Not really for the cold, grey wintertime. Let's wait for EasternMickey who's the King of the Kings ( together with Sjors and few others ) Back to the OP ... my recommendation black King first and then later grab few others
    Chrisek likes this.

I've got both the orange and the military green KG. I went for the orange first because like what you mentioned if you're gonna go big, you might as well go loud! I got the KG almost 2 yrs later because I love the color scheme on it.

I only wear the orange king when I'm in casual wear and tee shirts. My wrist is relatively small but the king never looks out of place.

Ironically being the more 'matchable' and 'mean looking' of the 2, the KG has very little wrist time.

But I agree with sedi: save yourself the agony of deciding and just get both! ;)

If you're worried abt buyer's remorse, keep one in the box and unbox it on your birthday/anniversary/[insert special occasion here]

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information