O'ring / Seal Dimensions?

Thread: O'ring / Seal Dimensions?

O'ring / Seal Dimensions?

I may have missed it in the Wiki, but is there a table of dimensions for the O'rings that seal the watches?

I'm a little outside the correct realm here, as I have several Casio DW-260s, which aren't quite G-Shocks. I had a DW-210 in the 80s, and loved it. I can't remember what happened to it but I replaced it with a DW-260 which I've had ever since. When I realized that Casio wasn't making anything like it any more, I picked up a few more on Ebay over the years.

As the batteries wear out, I'm finding that the seals are often on their last legs. I used the phone number in the parts thread to order a replacement seal from Casio, but the nice gentleman on the line told me that they only had one available. So I got that one. But I have several watches, which I plan to keep forever...

Before I use this seal, I would like to measure it and see if replacements are available outside of Casio.

A local seal place used their micrometer on it and got .75mm for the width (thickness) and a smidgeon over 28mm for the inside diameter (size of the O it makes).

I measured the seal channel in the watch bezel and got 28mm ID (inside diameter) and 30mm OD (outside diameter). If the thickness is really .75mm (I saw her measure it and she was really careful and redid it several times), then it seems like 28.25mm ID X 29.75mm OD and .75mm W would make sense.

The issue with simply measuring the ID of the new seal I have is that it's really hard to measure the ID of a flexible seal.

The local seal place can't get anything with a .75mm width. 1mm is the smallest available.

I found a place on-line which will do a custom run of O'rings for about $100 for 100 of them (probably many more than I'll ever need). Or $118 / qty. 200.

Before I go that route, I thought it would be useful to seek out three pieces of information.

1) Does someone have the dimensions of this O'ring available, so I can confirm or deny my measurements? I asked the Casio sales guy, but he said all they had was the part number, not the dimensions.

2) Does another, more recent, still supported, Casio watch use the same O'ring, so I could just order that part number instead?

3) Failing #2, if there's a table of dimensions of Casio seals somewhere, I'd like to look up which other old watches use the same seal (if any) so I can see if there's anyone else who could use this size seal before I order 50 - 150 more than I'll ever use.

4) Sure, I said three questions, above, but I thought of a fourth before I hit "submit". Is the material used for the seals simple nitrile rubber (Buna-N)?

Thank you for your time and attention,

Jeff Walther

Re: O'ring / Seal Dimensions?

Can you pleasse tell me the module number? I believe i have a sister-model and chances are they use the same O-Ring. I will have a look and measure and ask around my watchmakers - as long as it is just a round o-ring, something should be available.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech View Post
    Can you pleasse tell me the module number?
    Is the module number the number in the little rectangle next to the watch model number on the back of the watch? If so, it is 690, IIRC. I looked at it last night, but then was distracted before getting to the computer, and it's possible that I've misremembered in the intervening 12 hours, but I'm pretty certain 690 is what I saw in the little rectangle.

How does module number affect the seal? I would expect that the seal used would depend entirely on the bezel in which the module is installed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

you are correct, but sometimes one module has only been used in models with similar cases (or a silbver and a bvlack case of the same dimensions) and googling with model and module number sometimes is more fruitful.

To me it looks like an "ordinary" yet slightly bigger than usual O-Ring seal. My watchmaker (not battery and strap changing shop in the mall) could order one for me - i had to pay 6 euro, but to me that´s better than a useless watch...

Back in January I had the seal place run off 200 of the DW260 seals. I also sent them the Casio original to measure, just to make sure I would be getting the right size. The dimensions that their computerized machine (Micro VU?) reported was: .81mm X 28.37mm or .032" X 1.117" .

I believe that the first number is the diameter of the cross section of the toroid, and the second number is the diameter from center-line to center-line.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

It sounds like it worked out for you trag. I would expect that the module isn't as key as the casing itself. Some of the modules like the 548 are used in a number of different models (to my knowledge, module 548 is in the DW-210, DW-300, W-700, W-720, W-760, W-7001, W-7201, DW-2101, DW-2102, DW-3000, DW-3001, TW-7000, and TW-7000C [possibly more]), and I'm not quite sure the O-ring is the same size for all of them.

EDIT: I did a look up and the DW-260 uses the 690 module that is in the following models: DW-240, DW-260, DW-270, DW-310, and DW-1500.

I see plenty of the DW-2xx series CASIO watches sold up on fleabay. Of the few I've bought, they all had flattened O-rings. My trick was to flip them over, coat with silicon grease, and re-install. That seems to provide enough of a seal to survive casual swimming. Given how many of these watch models are around, you'd think CASIO would still offer the O-ring part. Anyway, you can probably offer some for sale on eBay and WUS to recoup your investment.
    Last edited by xevious; May 4th, 2012 at 22:56.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Thread Information