OT: Anyone here wearing a fitness tracker or smartwatch?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: OT: Anyone here wearing a fitness tracker or smartwatch?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

OT: Anyone here wearing a fitness tracker or smartwatch?

Does anyone here wears fitness tracker or smart watch?

I like the idea of fitness tracker (I'm on a loosing end of battling my beer belly - wondering if a fitness tracker would help or if it's really just a gimick?)

Also, I like the idea of having a notification watch but I dislike the idea of charging it every other day...

Opinions? Has any one here complemented their G-Shock with smart watch or fitness tracker?

What was your experience?

I'm not looking into product reviews - there is tons of those out there , I'm marely interesting to hear if you guys think that they're worth it or are they (as I actually suspect) pretty much as usefull as that excercise machine that's collecting dust in your basement (yea, it's probably been used for first couple of weeks or months... ;) )

Hey, if everything else fails I don't mind fitness tracer / smartwatch funds beeing used for another g-shock... because we can never have too many g-shocks...
    "Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" - Rocky Balboa, Rocky II, 1979

Re: OT: Anyone here wearing a fitness tracker or smartwatch?

I have a fitbit I wear right next to whichever G I happen to be wearing. It was given to me as a gift and I like it, I use it to keep track of steps taken, distance walked and sleep. I also like the vibration alarm feature. Gimmicky? maybe, but if you want to lose some weight and become more active the other features they have like the calorie tracker and exercise tracker could be useful.

It definitely makes you more aware of how much you're eating and how active you are, kind of makes you accountable to yourself. My wife has one too so there's a little bit of competition going on there as well.

Mike

I'm not trolling but IMO I think they are a waste.

Spend $20 on a Gymboss for interval training and be done with it. Or better yet do push ups, sit ups, ride a bike, or run/jog/walk for free. I just do not see how this thing is supposed to motivate you.

If I see another housewife or pseudo exercise junkie wearing one I'm going to scream.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Go 3-4 days a week for a run - at least 5 km
    Start to make push-ups, triceps dips, pull-ups, sit-ups (not as important as many believe) and squats (50-100 of each)
    Start to eat less, reduce sugar and carb in general (low carb), increase protein and (good) fat eg peanuts, fish, olive oil.. .

I'm not talking about a diet but a total change in your nutrition. Don't expect a fast outcome but make a picture of you now and make a picture three month later and you will be very surprised

A fitness tracker can help but it is only a tool. The true goal to success is a pure mind thing and I don't think any watch or whatever sports instrument can do much if you are not up to it.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Quote Originally Posted by duke4c View Post
    Does anyone here wears fitness tracker or smart watch?

I like the idea of fitness tracker (I'm on a loosing end of battling my beer belly - wondering if a fitness tracker would help or if it's really just a gimick?)

Also, I like the idea of having a notification watch but I dislike the idea of charging it every other day...

Opinions? Has any one here complemented their G-Shock with smart watch or fitness tracker?

What was your experience?

I'm not looking into product reviews - there is tons of those out there , I'm marely interesting to hear if you guys think that they're worth it or are they (as I actually suspect) pretty much as usefull as that excercise machine that's collecting dust in your basement (yea, it's probably been used for first couple of weeks or months... ;) )

Hey, if everything else fails I don't mind fitness tracer / smartwatch funds beeing used for another g-shock... because we can never have too many g-shocks...
    Like many other people, I do have at least one piece of exercise equipment at home gathering dust. Yeah, I admit it.

But I do have a Fitbit, got it recently, and wear it 24/7. It tracks steps, flights of stairs, calories, and total distance, plus sleep patterns. Uploads data wirelessly to your PC or smartphone. Stats are very cool and can be viewed for the day, week, or month.

I like it, because for me it is a motivational tool to become more active. My job requires me to sit a lot and activity is important, and this will help me to get more of it. I'm not looking to become a tri-athlete or anything like that, I just want to increase my activity level and eat better in order to have better health. (the sleep tracker is also very useful, IMO. I have found that I'm not getting nearly as much actual sleep as I thought I was)

Just yesterday I used it as a motivational tool... I found by early evening that I climbed 16 floors throughout the day. I decided that 25 was a better number, so I climbed 9 more, for no other reason. Then I decided I didn't want to stop at 25, and did 30 instead. (30 floors x 14 steps/floor = 420 stair steps in a day, not bad) Keep in mind, this is from someone who has a desk job and does not exercise regularly, anymore. But studies claim that even IF you exercise for 1/2 hour or an hour a day, what you do with the other 23 hours is very important too. I am using the Fitbit to become more active in general.

I suspect the Fitbit or similar activity tracker will work well for anyone who already has the motivation to become more active. For those who don't -- well, it's not magical.

Smartwatch? For me, no way. Have ZERO interest in a watch that I have to plug in or recharge. Not only that, but they simply have no appeal to me, compared to my g-shocks or other standard watches. Maybe that's just me. But I haven't even looked twice at any of the smart watches out there, and don't plan to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    I'm not trolling but IMO I think they are a waste.

Spend $20 on a Gymboss for interval training and be done with it. Or better yet do push ups, sit ups, ride a bike, or run/jog/walk for free. I just do not see how this thing is supposed to motivate you.

If I see another housewife or pseudo exercise junkie wearing one I'm going to scream.

There are allot of "wastes of money" out there.
    Remember, not everyone has the discipline, so if someone can use motivation in the form of a gimmick, it just might get them going.

Hi Duke4c

Apart from G-Shocks and mechanical watches, I use Garmin fitness watches (not fitness trackers, since my iPhone 6 already tracks my steps) and I just bought a Moto 360 smartwatch.

Quick answer: Fitness trackers are largely gimmicks. Walking 10k steps a day may not result in any weight loss. The secret to weight loss is just a healthy diet - you can actually lose weight without exercising or starving yourself. But exercise (at least 40min each time) helps you to lose weight faster.

Long answer:
    Weight Loss: I wrote a short book on how to lose weight. It's just common sense, and doesn't require any drastic diet or exercise regimes. You can download it for free here. Anyone Can Lose Weight | Empty Vessel
    Wearables: I just wrote a long blog post with my thoughts on wearables like the Moto 360. If you like tech, you'll love the Moto 360 despite all its flaws. It can only get better from here. Watching the Wearables | Empty Vessel
    fatehbajwa likes this.

I have a pebble smartwatch well make that 2 :)
    One for weekend stuff and one for normal day wear.

The pebble is the best of the smartwatches IMO.
    It has the most outstanding features to the rest:
    battery 3-5days
    more water proof
    easier to read in the sun
    being out longer than the others it has more apps.

It is b/w however while the rest are colour and touch.
    Those 2 features kill battery life so for me the extra battery is worth it.

The pebble has support for jawbone and other fitness attachements but i dont use them.
    I do use a sleep tracker which is useful to wake me up when i am most active thus I am not rudely awaken from deep sleep.

Gshock or Seiko on the left and pebble on the right wrist.

I have a Fitbit Force free to the first person that sends me a pm.

I've had a lot of Polars and finally got stuck to Garmin; the GPS is solid and the software online is great

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419357049.296796.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  114.5 KB

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    Watches

LACO Paderborn
    LACO Munster
    CASIO G-SHOCK GW5000, "The G-Shock Submariner" Just Perfect!
    CASIO GSet: DW5030 + DW5030D
    Breitling Avenger Seawolf Titanium 3.000m
    Seiko Brightz Grand Cocktail SDGM001
    Seiko Tuna SBBN033
    Helson three handed Gauge 2.0 #23
    Omega P.O. 45.5 mm. Black Bezel.
    Omega SM Electric Blue Quartz.
    Omega Speedmaster "From the Moon to Mars"
    Longines Hydroconquest Automatic Chronograph in Rubber
    Ocean7 LM-7
    Tag Heuer 2000 exclusive.
    Tag Heuer F1.X2 Classic and New Grande Date.
    Zodiac V- Wolf. 44 mm.
    Seiko Fang Monster with 4r-36 mov.
    Seiko 6r15 Diver Black Sumo.
    Seiko White Samurai.
    Seiko Orange Monster.
    ORIS Flight Timer2 Day Date SS

Guit Stuff

1997 Fender Lonestar Strat (Humbucker s/s)
    Marshall Valvestate 30W Amp.
    Several Boss pedals.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information