OT? Casio Forester Ana Digi Mod / refurbishment
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By lowtech

Thread: OT? Casio Forester Ana Digi Mod / refurbishment

OT? Casio Forester Ana Digi Mod / refurbishment

As traffic is higher here than in the Digital and ABC forum and its a Casio after all, i think its ok to post here:

I bought this pretty rough FTS-601 Casio Forester.
    Its an Alti/Baro Ana/Digi with module 2376.

It looked pretty shabby, the acrylic crystal was scratched an dull at some points, the silver and grey plastic bezel parts were rubbed off an scratched. It had no strap, a bent springbar and did not run.

A fresh battery and a lubed seal brought it back to life.

I did not remember to take a pic before i started dismantling.

In parts

I planned on blasting/prepping and painting the plastic parts all black.

While at it, i thought maybe the grey plastic wouldnot look bad at all. I left teh upper and lower bezel parts grey and only painted the middle part.
    The crystal polished up well.

What do you think, should i go all black or leave the grey parts as is?

The strap is a Casio one for the AD-300 and DW-290, the lug width is a strange 19 mm.
    Do you like the strap or do you have better ideas what kind of strap to fit?

Feedback welcome...
    Last edited by lowtech; June 28th, 2012 at 22:24.

Re: OT? Casio Forester Ana Digi Mod / refurbishment

Bravo...well done. That's a fantastic bit of restoration, I always get jealous when people do a job as good as this as I'm not that good at restoring. I would keep those grey bits as is, it is a nice looking watch and the grey adds some depth and contrast.

Don't worry about posting on this forum, quite a lot of us G guys love anything Casio and I for one love to see these cool and funky Casio's
    Last edited by dobber72; June 28th, 2012 at 19:38.

That's a hell of a restoration. The result looks pretty nice. I didn't know that Foresters of the past had Alti/Baro sensor. A big well done to you
    "There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love."~ Sir Stirling Moss

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

To be honest the black plastic doesn't look like it needs painting, all it would need is the light/mode/adjust/start/section text painting white and it would look superb.

Edit, just reread and realised you have already painted it, I though you'd removed grey paint from the inner bezel. Just another excuse for me to say, it looks cool man.
    Last edited by dobber72; June 28th, 2012 at 20:13.

Keep it the way it is. Looks awesome. Well done.

Sent Via Tapatalk

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the feedbacjk, althoug i did not anticipate so much positive feedback.
    I held back with laying in paint into the lettering as i was not sure if i needed to paint some more parts. I think i will reapply all lettering to achieve the same white-tone everywhere.

What i do really like about the watch is the Illuminator that not only lights the LCD, but does make the whole Analog display glow a Lava orange. I need to try to capture it in a pic. It looks like on those old MR-Gs but instead of a cool blue its a warm orange.

So i think i will glue the bezel parts back on the way they are and maybe look for a metal buckle to replace the plastic one.

BTW: While reading the manual i just found out that on this Casio you can indeed choose teh volume of the Alarm beep - one level is a bit more quiet than the typical solar G shock, the other a bit above the normal G-Shock beep.
    Last edited by lowtech; June 28th, 2012 at 22:45. Reason: Typo, Info added

LUW

Though it looks AWESOME now, if possible, i would make it all black (paint the gray parts) and paint the leterring white for a bit of detail.
    But even the way it is it looks terrific!
    Cheers!
    Luciano

nice restore! the watch looks awesome I especially like the size of the crown compared to the sensor, since its big the the sensor doesn't look out of place.

That came out great! I have to say i like the contrast with the gray. Well done. This makes me want to take on "a project".
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Thanks again. I think i will leave the grey parts as is for now. I even think about leaving the lettering stealthed, as it gives a nice subdued look to the watch, not as busy as it looks with white lettering.
    Well, Ill have to think about it - Maybe Ill even wear it for a few days, if i can stand taking off my DW-5600.
    Fer Guzman, i share your opinion that on this watch, the rather big crown with its protectors balances the Sensor nicely.
    Now ill have to find a 19 mm ss buckle. I will take a polished stainless one that goes with teh bezel screws and the crown, i think.

Bad thing is taht i have some black ones, but would need to order a ss one - which might probably lead to more ordered things. you know, i pay shipping costs anyways, so i can add a strap or two, maybe a deployment clasp for experimenting....

Ill post a few pics in Comparison with a typical G and or a Protrek , should have some "watchtime" this weekend.

Any hints on how to take pics of Backlights?!

Thread Information