OT: So Angry!!! Want to vent! :-(

Thread: OT: So Angry!!! Want to vent! :-(

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OT: So Angry!!! Want to vent! :-(

Hello all,

I know this is an OT, yet I am so angry that I wanted to vent a bit. Thus please forgive me...

Recently I decided to start wearing watches again as I have not done so in a long time (there is always a cell phone or PDA or clock around). When thinking of what kind of watch would be most useful to me I came upon the notion that one for work would be a calculator watch, especially if it had certain mathematical functions, and one would be a tough, all purpose piece. I ended up getting a vintage Pulsar calculator (circa 1979) watch for work and social events, and a G-shock for general use (model GW-056, even with the tough to use buttons :-D ).

Since the Pulsar is vintage the only place I know of to find a decent price one is on eBay. After getting a unit I found that, while it worked, some of the buttons were sunken in, making them a little hard to use. As such yesterday I took the watch to a jeweler to see if anything could be done.

Regretfully the jeweler ruined the fully functional vintage watch as he did not listen to me when I stated several times the watch worked but had some sunken buttons. He then told me that he would show me how to clean the watch as he said it would be good for me to know, but when he opened it the keypad simply fell apart. He blamed me for the mistake and proceeded to engage in an argument with me over responsibility (my comment that started all of this was something to the effect of "I should not have done that" or "I should not have let you do that"; I do not exactly recall as it was not meant to be accusatorial, just a comment). Yet during this I got so angry that I actually started shaking! And, even worse, I did not see what I could do in the matter. I am not a person interested in sueing anyone. And, further, sue him over a $80 old watch? That would not make any sense.

I found this all to be very unreasonable in my opinion, and he would not even let me finish any sentence during this event, which only further got me angry. Now I have a nonfunctional old watch. O| This is too bad as I went out of my way to go to his shop based on reviews I saw. I would NOT recommend the shop, nor will I return.

A suppose on a positive note, the jeweler was kind enough not to charge me with a watch-strap adjustment even though I tried twice to pay him for his time/work (regardless of the fact that I was angry at his ruining one of my watches).

Oh well. Thanks for letting me vent. :thanks
    Last edited by santeh; May 28th, 2006 at 16:11.

Re: OT: So Angry!!! Want to vent! :-(

Not a problem Santeh and sometimes it good to release your stressO|

I've also been caught with a few Calculators of EBay.. It's also a big hobby in Japan.

I love those old LED type that take me back to my Sydney University daysB-)

I think it was when I was around 16 years old, that schools just started to let students use calculators in the classroom.. That was a real bonus:-D

buddha-g

Santeh, it is so frustrating, I know, when there's nothing you can do and all your best efforts seem wasted. I think almost everyone here on the fourm has a story like your own (whether repair, shipping or eBay nightmares), so we appreciate what you are going through and how upsetting it is.

I once took a Citizen Navihawk in for a new crystal and to repair a sticking button, estimated fees <$50. They changed the entire module (without my permission) and tried to charge me $200 for it (it was only a $300 watch!). After a lot of heated discussion they did cut the fee by half, but it was very upsetting for me how such a tiny repair could mushroom into a new watch!

Take heart. Sometimes these things just happen and we swollow hard and move on. Best of luck in your future efforts!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Anton

It's a jungle out there. Better luck next time.

Wink Re: OT: So Angry!!! Want to vent! :-(

Hi Santeh and Buddha,

Sad stories. The only thing I ever had was a casio deales that claimed the worse button control was due to the model, while a small inspection at home learned all buttlons were under the lips in stead of on them.

I hope it stays with just once such an experience...

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

When I got engaged to my wife about 12 years ago of course I bought her a ring. She wanted to get me something so I suggested a watch. We chose a seiko dive watch with the rotating bezel thinh as you'd expect. Then the lady in the jewellers suggested she take a link out of the bracelet to make it fit better. She made a real mess of it with pliers so took the next link out as well as it was now scratched due to her clumsiness. Then she tried to polish the bezel with metal polish which promptly took the paint out of the numbers on the rotating dial. At this point I just said 'no thanks' and we walked out leaving them with a totally knackered seiko and a pile of strap bits on the counter !!! HA HA HA Ho HO HO HEE HEE HEE :-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D:-D:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

This is why I never let other people touch my stuff not ever, if I can't do it it doesn't need done.....

PS perhaps that is why my house and car is in such a bad state eh?

Hello carrot:

Great piece of Scottish wisdom!

I am always amazed by some of the people who are employed at jewelry stores. No idea what they are doing and they couldn't case less about watches. Just make the sale and get the money.

I always do my own bracelet adjustment and battery changes.
    Best regards,

Mike Hogan
    [email protected]

"Go ahead laddie. Buy the watch."

Wink Re: OT: So Angry!!! Want to vent! :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan
    I am always amazed by some of the people who are employed at jewelry stores. No idea what they are doing and they couldn't case less about watches. Just make the sale and get the money.
    Hi Mike,

You didn't even mention the 16 y.o. schoolgirls with their weekend job in a department store changing batteries.... I won't trust any G there.

Cheers,

Sjors
    Last edited by Sjors; May 29th, 2006 at 20:57.
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

[QUOTE=Sjors]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan
    I am always amazed by some of the people who are employed at jewelry stores. No idea what they are doing and they couldn't case less about watches. Just make the sale and get the money.[/QUOTE]

Hi Mike,

You didn't even mention the 16 y.o. schoolgirls with their weekend job in a department store changing batteries.... I won't trust any G there.

Cheers,

Sjors
    Hello Sjors:

How true! The sad thing is that people take very nice watches to some of those places and the clerks ruin them. Once I actually saw a clerk try and force a new battery into a Timex UPSIDE DOWN!
    Best regards,

Mike Hogan
    [email protected]

"Go ahead laddie. Buy the watch."

Hi Mike,

Cheers,

Sjors
    A friend of mine owned a watch store until two of these department stores opened up right next to him and stomped him out of business. Not a day went by when he wasn't fixing the mess they made out of peoples' watches and doing repairs they couldn't even start.

Some people are not wired to repair anything. I was swapping batteries since the third grade. I'm a natural.

I have seen very old watches become brittle, especially if they've been to these department stores for a manglin' er... I mean "battery change".
    Last edited by Sjors; May 29th, 2006 at 21:06.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information