OTpoll: Policy on buying from "private feedback" sellers? (casio cosmo phase

Poll: Policy on

Thread: OTpoll: Policy on buying from "private feedback" sellers? (casio cosmo phase

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

poll: Policy on buying from "private feedback" sellers? (casio cosmo phase

I wish that wasn't an option on ebay. I know people can put unfair or unjustified comments in your feedback, but you can explain it as some do. Making your fb private just makes me assume the worst. And the guy is from HK.

Too bad, because the watch is one you rarely see new. The Casio Cosmo-Phase. Anyone remember this watch? I have the black version of it (before it died), and I know MINE didn't have a screwdown caseback. He is selling the stainless version as new, and it HAS a screwdown caseback! That little surprise would have otherwise been an instant deal sealer, even at $200. Except now considering the private comments, and foreign, and the fact that I have one that is NOT screwdown, I am just skeptical (no I don't think he just built a better version of it himself lol but jsut weird).

So what's your policy on private feedback sellers (or buyers)?
    Last edited by Sjors; August 15th, 2006 at 14:02.

Re: poll: Policy on buying from "private feedback" sellers? (casio cosmo phase

I actually don't like privite feedback either, but if the feedback number is huge and the total is 100% or very near I would buy. If the guy is new and/or there is something fishy with other items (or no other items at all) I won't buy. I also would try to contact the seller. Actually I often do that. At the tone of your reply you can often make up if someone is trustworthy.

I actually don't like shielded bidderslists too. That way I can see who my competitors are. If it's someone I know (like here on the forum), I most of the time pass the bid. I know Neil is often looking at the same kind of auctions as I do.

Since a lot of us buy G-Shock's on e-Bay, I don't considder this an Off Topic thread BTW...

Cheers,

Sjors
    Last edited by Sjors; August 15th, 2006 at 13:48.
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Re: OTpoll: Policy on buying from "private feedback" sellers? (casio cosmo phase

Yeah, his bidder list was hidden too. Didn't even occur to me to think about who I am bidding against. Like you said, I contacted him about it, but don't think I'll pull the trigger.

btw not that being in a different country really matters as far as what recourse I have if ripped off, but theoretically, no matter how far away in the US, I could drive there and provide some face to face feedback (which he is welcome to keep private).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: OTpoll: Policy on buying from "private feedback" sellers? (casio cosmo phase

Quote Originally Posted by jlh2600
    Yeah, his bidder list was hidden too. Didn't even occur to me to think about who I am bidding against. Like you said, I contacted him about it, but don't think I'll pull the trigger.

btw not that being in a different country really matters as far as what recourse I have if ripped off, but theoretically, no matter how far away in the US, I could drive there and provide some face to face feedback (which he is welcome to keep private).
    Wise move on your part. As for me, if there is any doubt in my mind about the product or seller I decline to purchase. It's a shame because there are so many excellent and reputable sellers on EBay.
    Best regards,

Mike Hogan
    [email protected]

"Go ahead laddie. Buy the watch."

Banned

I prefer to be able to read just what kind of comments other people have to say about the seller before I bid/buy from them. I almost got burned back in winter from somebody who had a good FB rating but something happened with the guy and his rating just plummeted FAST. I won the item but when I tried to pay thru PP it said his account was closed. That's red flag #1. Tried to contact him but he never replied so I reported him to ebay. Just a couple of days later his FB comments went private . So I never paid him and he never tried to contact me afterwards. I was bummed cuz it was a Seiko perp. calender watch . Also I RARELY bid on something from anyone who has a FB rating under 98.5%.

I used to be an eBay Power Seller with id: eternatick
    My experience:

Private feedback on Seller, and "Private" bidder list will lessen the attractive factors for that item, and reduce competition among bidders (those factors all sellers want). More desires, more competition, it meant more money for seller.

People used to be show off things those made them look good, if they hide them, it means:

1. They are really, really shy, humble and honest man.
    2. They had some things to hide, or try to cons bidders.

When I bid for an item on eBay I always research on other bidders:
    * are they experience or beginer? (feedback numbers)
    * Do they know what they bidding for? (what they usually bought)
    * Is this bidder a price bumper? (appeared all the time)
    * what the current market price for this item? (If new item)
    * How rare is this item? (If vintage item)
    BUT, If the seller 'private' id out, only and only for that reason I just walk out at the begining to save my time, never buy!

PS: If someone are eBay sellers also WUS member you are considered as case number 1 in this post. Just my opinion, nothing meant against you.
    Last edited by eternatick; August 15th, 2006 at 22:01.

Wink Re: OTpoll: Policy on buying from "private feedback" sellers? (casio cosmo phase

Hi Asuoab,

As a bidder I also always try to check the history, thinking just the way you do.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D.
    IAlso I RARELY bid on something from anyone who has a FB rating under 98.5%.
    Excellent comment Brian! I too get a bit suspicious when I see a seller rating at 98% or below. Granted, some excellent merchants have slightly less than a 100% rating but for me 98% or less screams, "Where there's smoke, there's fire." I know several people who refuse to use Ebay out of a fear of being taken. It's too bad because, as you all know, a little research and reasonable caution will keep you relatively safe and still allow you to get some really great deals on Ebay.

Oz is a well respected Ebay merchant and it would be great to hear some comments from him about shopping safely on Ebay.
    Best regards,

Mike Hogan
    [email protected]

"Go ahead laddie. Buy the watch."

The only reason I can come up with as to why a seller would make their feedback hidden is because they did something bad. Perhaps enough people mentioned it in the feedback for them to want to hide it from the public.

I don't buy from people with things to hide, because if the transaction goes down the toilet, NOBODY will know about my bad experience. Out of sight, out of mind?

Was Japan, now back home in Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Could be many reasons, privacy is one of them

I've made my auctions privately more recently due to harrassment of other's emailing other members, etc.:-S

Besides that, it's good as not all buyers wish for other's to see what they are buying as many enjoy reading and clicking links through other's feedback.

When someone leaves me, or I leave them feedback on a private auction, other's still cannot access a link to see what the other purchased.

My Mother has been hassling me due to the amount of clothes I've purchased on EBay as she can access my feedback

I have been replying to feedback left for me, mainly because the link is private so I thought good for other's to see. I've also typed a few names on my feedback, which gave me second thought's as some may not wish to have their names made public.

As for having private feedback, I personally can't see what difference it makes as the percentage still shows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information