painting case back and screws black - any suggestions?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lowtech

Thread: painting case back and screws black - any suggestions?

painting case back and screws black - any suggestions?

I have a GDF-100BB that I have replaced the resin strap with strap adaptors and a black NATO with PVD buckle/keepers. Everything on the watch is black except for the screws (case and case back) and the case back itself. Any suggestions on what would be the best method to paint these items black? I'm concerned the paint durability may not last if I just simply spray paint them. Thanks for any and all insight, Brad

Re: painting case back and screws black - any suggestions?

Hmm, if it were me I would scuff up the case-back first with sandpaper, then use Hammerite spray, which in my experience provides a very tough finish (I once used it on a metal skateboard and found that it stayed looking great for years).

The screw-heads can be scuffed by dragging them over fine emery paper once or twice and then be painted, although you will have to touch teh paint up after every removal, i guess.

the backplate is hard to paint durable, as ss needs a good prepwork and primer to let paint adhere to it. And even then, chances are high taht the paint won´t last as it will eventually wear away at the edges, allowing moist to creep under and lift teh paint in the end, especially as it is salty sweat and it´s a warm environment.

Maybe powdercoating will adhere better, but i do not know if teh piezo speaker will survive the process.
    Then there are people ion plating /PVD plating watch parts, i guess a look in the more expensive corners of this board might lead to some links, but i think this is a bit expensive from what i´ve heard.
    xevious likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

I once saw a Riseman for sale on eBay having a back plate treated with a matte finish enamel paint. It looked sloppy, because the paint started to flake off. So I think lowtech is right, that to do it right it needs to be PVD/ion plated. And that's not cheap to do... but if you're really hankering to have it done and it'll make you very happy in the end, it could be worth it.

Note that another alternative on the screws is to lightly buff to get a matte hazy finish, then use a Sharpie. Since the screws are inset, they could probably last a year before needing another application. But it's so easy to do, I don't think it would be a bother.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Ceracote*, i know motor city watch works does it for seiko's which are ss. maybe send it there if you want it to last

for the screws, I used permanent black marker

as for the cheapest way to blacken the back plate, i would use gun powder burning over it a few times

Quote Originally Posted by BradinFLA View Post
    I have a GDF-100BB that I have replaced the resin strap with strap adaptors and a black NATO with PVD buckle/keepers. Everything on the watch is black except for the screws (case and case back) and the case back itself. Any suggestions on what would be the best method to paint these items black? I'm concerned the paint durability may not last if I just simply spray paint them. Thanks for any and all insight, Brad
    I tried the very same thing, you can see the thread here...

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/pai...ow-573127.html

It was OK, but now has a few minor scratches on it which has meant it's now on my 'to do' list for a respray!
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Cerakote is a very durable finish, yet i am unsure about the effects the heat has on the piezo, same as with powdercoating. If the speaker survives, it will be even more durable than powder coating.
    Last edited by lowtech; June 25th, 2012 at 21:42.

Thread Information