Partially restored DW-5600C
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Partially restored DW-5600C

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Partially restored DW-5600C

I bought and partially restored a DW-5600C back in September. I really should have posted something about my experience then, but better late than never!

I had been looking for several months for a 5600C for the reasons most people cite: its a classic, solid stainless steel construction, screw back, easy to read display, flight qualified by NASA, … I decided to find a later (901 module) version so it would be slightly newer and take the readily available CR2016 battery. Given the issues with resin decomposing, I also decided to find a raw module (i.e., with no bezel or strap) rather than find one that had original resin that might fall apart soon after purchase. I planned to start with fresh Brazilian resin. Lastly, I wanted one that had all four bezel screws removable and not broken off in the case.

After a few weeks of looking on xxxBay, I finally found exactly what I wanted. I ordered it plus the Brazilian resin and strap. From the xxxBay photos, I knew the crystal had a few scratches, but when I got it I decided the scratches weren't all that bad so I didn't do any restoration to the crystal, hence I consider the watch partially restored but still in very good condition. I did however take the module out of the case, clean up the complete case, clean and lubricate the pusher o-rings, and put a new battery and caseback gasket on it and new springbars.

Name:  LoRes13r156f098.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  42.0 KB

I'm very pleased with the result. It's a great watch -- very functional and good looking. I bought it for wearing not collecting! The alarm is loud enough for my needs and the illuminating light more than sufficient for the situations I use it in (reading the time in pitch blackness). The only thing I wasn't initially satisfied with was the accuracy. It was running about 22 seconds / month slow but I was able to easily adjust that. I'll have a subsequent posting on how I adjusted it's accuracy.

Name:  LoRes13r158f181.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  73.3 KBName:  LoRes13r158f045.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  70.6 KBName:  LoRes13r158f279.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  56.0 KB

Re: Partially restored DW-5600C

Oops, I erroneously mentioned it was running 22 sec / month slow. I should have said fast !

Looking good. My DW-5600C is still one of my favorite watches to wear. Even after all these years, it still has one of the clearest displays of all G-Shocks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbait View Post
    Looking good. My DW-5600C is still one of my favorite watches to wear. Even after all these years, it still has one of the clearest displays of all G-Shocks.
    Buzzbait, agreed re: the display clarity. Nice big numbers and the side lit display has much better contrast than a modern Illuminator or Indiglo style display. The display was one of the big reasons I sought out such an "old" digital watch.

Nice work, it looks great!
    garthg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    Nice work, it looks great!
    Kung-fusion, thanks. I had the benefit of reading many of your postings to help me decide what model to get and how to restore it. Your postings were very useful !

Nice, never get tired of good 'ol threads and seeing another 'C'
    ~~: Vintage Screwback & Classic/JDM G collector :~~
    Screwbacks {DW5000C.. {DW5200.. {DW5400.. {DW5500C.. {DW5600C-1, 1V, 9V, 9CV, 5600B-3V, 5600D-1.. {DW5700..
    {DW5000-1JF.. {GW5000-1JF..
    Illuminators DW5300 DW6600, DW6600B, DW6600G-9V, DW6695-A, DW069, Dw6900, DW6900BF, DW8300 DW8120
    Other Watches: Rolex 116300 ( DatejustII), Orient Conductor, Sandoz Submariner.

This thread is good for me. I am in the process of looking for a square g and of course a screw back if of big interest. There are a couple on ebay now, but before pulling the trigger i have a few questions (i am a g noob): where can i find the resin bezel and strap? Why brasilian? Can bezel screws be sourced somewhere? A lot have scratched crystals, can they be restored, replaced?

Envoyé de mon GT-N8010 en utilisant Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bricem13 View Post
    This thread is good for me. I am in the process of looking for a square g and of course a screw back if of big interest. There are a couple on ebay now, but before pulling the trigger i have a few questions (i am a g noob): where can i find the resin bezel and strap? Why brasilian? Can bezel screws be sourced somewhere? A lot have scratched crystals, can they be restored, replaced?

bricem13, Casio no longer makes the resin bezel and straps for this model. There are still some NOS (New Old Stock) bezels/straps available occasionally on eBay but in particular the NOS bezels are very expensive. I think for most people restoring this type of watch, the best solution is the Brazilian replicas of the bezel and strap -- search for "dw5600 bezel" on eBay and you find them sold by seller "watches.br". The bezel screws I think are hard to find, but the more important issue is to find a watch where the screws have not snapped off inside the case. This often happens because the screws can seize over long periods of time. Restoring scratched crystals is possible but a lot of work -- I'm sure a better expert like kung-fusion can speak to the effort required. I think the crystals can be replaced, but like the bezels they are rare to find.

Quote Originally Posted by bricem13 View Post

Is there a particular reason you want a vintage screwback as opposed to a more modern screwback like a gw-5000 or dw-5030c? The modern screwbacks have parts available and are far less problematic than the vintage watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information