Parts for G-Shocks
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Parts for G-Shocks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Parts for G-Shocks

Hi,

I know that this has been covered before. I bought a brand new Frogman a few days ago. I really like it. For me, this is an expensive watch, not only an expensive G-Shock. I sent a mail to Casio Europe asking about the future supply of spare parts. For an expensive item, I think it's fair to be able to fix it in five years if you need to. The answer from Casio was a bit disappointing I think. They said that we of course will replace your watch during the time of warranty. After that they don't know if they can get any parts. They are not required to hold any parts in the inventory, so the supply is based on production numbers and things they can't say anything about right now. So basically after the watch is discontinued (could happen fast looking at Casio's history) and after the warranty is out you won't be able to fix the watch. I know that you can source parts yourself but I still think it is strange for a company to communicate this way. I could buy it if we are talking about a cheap local store G-Shock, but a Frogman for a lot of money? Also the case is plastic so it is not unlikely that it needs to be exchanged in the future...

Erk

Re: Parts for G-Shocks

Depending on the model, you may be able to buy a spare bezel and strap, then store them until needed.
    Desert likes this.

Send them a reply that you are thankful for their honesty, and that you will buy from their competitor who has a better end user support system.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Luminox 1881.BO Field Chrono
    G-Shock GPW-1000T-1A (The BEAST)
    G-Shock GD-350-1BER
    (2) G-Shock GXW-56BB-1JF (The KING - I own 2 because everyone should own at least two...LOL)
    G-Shock GW-9300GB-1JF (Mudman)
    G-Shock GD-350-1C (Custom - Black Bezel)
    G-Shock GWX-5600C-7JF (G-LIDE)
    G-Shock GW-5000-1JF
    G-Shock GD-X6900-1CR
    G-Shock GW-9300DC-1CR (Mudman - Custom - Black Bezel Screws/Strap Screws/Strap keeper/Buckle)
    G-Shock G
    W-M5610-1BJF (I want to enter this one in for a honorary COSC rating, its running about .75 seconds fast per month!)
    G-Shock GB-5600B-1JF
    G-Shock GD-X6900MC-1
    Lum-Tec COMBAT B24 Carbon (Miyota 9015 Japan Automatic Movement)
    Lum-Tec COMBAT B35 Auto (STP 1-11 Swiss Automatic Movement)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    Depending on the model, you may be able to buy a spare bezel and strap, then store them until needed.
    Absolutely, but my point is that it is a it strange that they think that people buy for example a Frogman as a throw away thing then the warranty is out.

Quote Originally Posted by Airbus View Post
    Absolutely, but my point is that it is a it strange that they think that people buy for example a Frogman as a throw away thing then the warranty is out.
    Yes, not really acceptable. Even the GWF-1000 goes for $400 or more. The GWF-D1000 goes for twice as much or more. The good news is that these digital models should be very reliable.

they gave you a non-answer. there will be bands and bezels on the market, they just wont say it. pacparts, tiktox etc will have them for some time, or it will be a factory restricted part. you cant go on "history of Casio", some models are here and gone (GL-150) but Frogs are here to stay.
    Last edited by Steelerswit; August 10th, 2017 at 08:45.
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

Frogs might be here to stay, but the models keep changing with different movement and other parts. So I guess that it doesn't matter if the Frogman as an overall model stays?

then return it, if you are that worried.
    jupiter6 and Phreddo like this.
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by Airbus View Post
    Hi,

I know that this has been covered before. I bought a brand new Frogman a few days ago. I really like it. For me, this is an expensive watch, not only an expensive G-Shock. I sent a mail to Casio Europe asking about the future supply of spare parts. For an expensive item, I think it's fair to be able to fix it in five years if you need to. The answer from Casio was a bit disappointing I think. They said that we of course will replace your watch during the time of warranty. After that they don't know if they can get any parts. They are not required to hold any parts in the inventory, so the supply is based on production numbers and things they can't say anything about right now. So basically after the watch is discontinued (could happen fast looking at Casio's history) and after the warranty is out you won't be able to fix the watch. I know that you can source parts yourself but I still think it is strange for a company to communicate this way. I could buy it if we are talking about a cheap local store G-Shock, but a Frogman for a lot of money? Also the case is plastic so it is not unlikely that it needs to be exchanged in the future...

Erk
    do a search here, there are many threads with many replies discussing this very thing but a couple points to address some of your concerns -
    - is it really that strange that a company doesnt keep parts indefinitely? or that they cant say how long they will keep parts for? no one can predict the future market like that so no one can say for certain.
    - frog cases are steel or titanium, not plastic. even if it was plastic, 100s of confirmations on this forum prove everyday that mere "plastic" casing is more than enough to survive decades of wear and years of abuse.
    - its a G. its made for heavy use and minimal maintanence. being a solar, you wont even need to change the battery for at least a decade (if you care for it properly). at most you may need to change the bezel or band when it gets a bit too ratty.
    - if youre really worried, do like many others do and buy spare resin now while its still available and put them aside till the original set wears out. theres really not much more to it, with a little care they will last decades and you'll look back at this thinking how silly you were.

...or you can do as others have suggested, return it and go with a brand with better support... like apple or something
    Steelerswit likes this.
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

[QUOTE=soulbridgemedia;43820817]do a search here, there are many threads with many replies discussing this very thing but a couple points to address some of your concerns

Thanks a lot for your answer - I really appreciate it.

As for one of your bullets - "Is it really that strange" - yes, I think it is actually. What they basically are saying is that after the warranty is out they can't guarantee that they can fix your watch. I agree with you that "indefinitely" is a lot to ask for, but at least they could say that maybe 5 years after the model has been discontinued they will have parts. I know for example that Tissot and Certina say that - we are not talking Rolex level.

If I buy a 1000 dollar watch I think it is reasonable to be able to fix it for a few years at least. I will keep the watch, and I'm sure that somehow I will be able to fix it in the future. I'm sure that it will be no problem. But I wonder why it should be different if I buy a 1000 dollar G-Shock over a 1000 dollar Tissot for example.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information