pathfinder 2894, compass reading always show about 40 degree, is sensor faulty?

Thread: pathfinder 2894, compass reading always show about 40 degree, is sensor faulty?

pathfinder 2894, compass reading always show about 40 degree, is sensor faulty?

Hello, I hope you can shed some insight.

I have casio pathfinder 2894 (PAG-80-1V) . I own this watch for 7 years now, a good companion for backpacking trip. I recently took it to wind river, notice it's off. Once got home, I notice the compass reading always show about 40 degree doesn't matter which direction it point to.
    I follow this instruction (url removed) for the bidirectional calibration, then the northerly calibration multiple times, in open area (away from building), I hold the watch as perfectly horizontal as possible.
    I then remove the cover of "triple sensor", and clean it up a little bit. it was reasonable dirt. I never drop the watch in water or abuse it. I put it in place facing right light even though I don't use it so the battery is not an issue.
    the temperature and elevation sensor functions fine.

Is it safe to conclude the triple sensor is faulty? Is there any replacement sensor I can purchase somewhere? is it a DIY work?

I talked to the casio repair guy, I need to ship the watch to them, they estimate. if I agree to the cost, I will pay first, then they fix it. he can't give me an estimation. I don't know what's the two way shipping + their handling fee. I wonder if it's better off just purchase another watch

Thank you in advance!

Re: pathfinder 2894, compass reading always show about 40 degree, is sensor faulty?

I don't know how to fix your problem, but I would probably just replace the watch. You can often get some versions of the PRG-270 for about $100, and it has the newer v3 sensor.

https://www.casio.com/products/watch...-trek/prg270-1
    Last edited by GaryK30; September 23rd, 2017 at 23:12.

Thread Information