Pathfinder Comparison Question

Thread: Pathfinder Comparison Question

Pathfinder Comparison Question

I was looking at the paw 1300t -7v and paw 1200t -7v yesterday and have a couple questions.

I kind of like that the 1200 has lines on the face showing the cardinal points. It seems like it would be easier to tell at a glance the directions. Does it really make a difference in actual useage?

I liked how the 1300 was so much slimmer, the watches were strapped down to their stands so I couldn't try them. Is the height actually that big of a factor is actual useage?

I know that all the answers are just going to be opinions but I'm interested in some real world feedback.

Thanks,

Chad

Re: Pathfinder Comparison Question

I have only the 1300T and have never had trouble seeing which was was north with just the dashes on the outer ring. It's a thin yet pretty wide watch. My wrist is kinda big so it doesn't matter to me but might be something to consider. I have no experience with the other model.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

Thanks.

I am kind of torn. In the store, the lines look handy, but in the field they might be bothersome.

I looked at the 1300 first and I wasn't bothered by the lack of lines. In fact, until I saw the 1200, I didn't even know they had them but then I felt I needed them.

Maybe I should go with my first instincts.

Chad

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've heard (maybe here) that the lines are in a second LCD layer over the main display and makes the main display a little less clear that it would be otherwise. That's one of the reasons (plus the titanium) that ended in me getting the 1300T. Again, I don't have a 1200 so I'm not speaking first hand.

First impressions are correct a lot of the time.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

I originally bought the 1300, that had been my first instinct too. The form factor was nice, and the features were great. I was disappointed about the countdown timer though, I preferred having a repeat countdown on it. 1300 only counts down once. Also, I do alot of cycling, I did find the dashes on the 1300 hard to see, I preferred a watch with the lines and really like the feature generally. I have big wrists, so the size didn't really bother me either. I returned my 1300, and purchased the 1200 and don't regret it at all. I also didnt find the lines weakening the main display at all. Make sure they have a return policy, if you can't try it and have to purchase blind, its nice to know you could exchange it for the other if you are not satisfied.

This is just an opinion, and it all comes down to preference. If you don't mind a larger watch, and you find you may need repeating countdown timer, and want to see the compass, barometer, and altimeter clearly, go for the 1200.

If form factor is very important, you don't care about the dashes around the circumference, and repeating countdown is not a big deal to you....do the 1300. Those are your biggest differences.

Last note, I found I appreciated the lines on the face more as opposed to the dashes so I could just glimpse as opposed to looking at it for a few seconds to confirm the dashes were where they were.

Let us know what you decide to purchase....good luck.

I have the 1200, and actually like the "bulk" of the watch. It is large, but there are no protrusions, and all edges are rounded. The 1300 is more elegant though, especially on the bracelet. Two thing to consider:

1. The watch should be level to the ground for the compass to be accurate at all, so quick glances while running/cycling/exercising to determine the direction are out of the question.

2. I find the titanium bracelet to be very easily scratched. Some may be bothered by this, but I don't really mind, I treat the watch as a tool:

Hope this helped,

Arno

I did a lot of comparison work on both models as well (haven't bought one yet), but I'd probably go for the 1300 due to smaller wrists. I wondered if it was possible for Casio to make the outer compass ring with blue or red coloured LCD so that it stood out more on the face...that would have been a nice innovation.

Thanks for all the comments. I have a big wrist so that really isn't a concern.

I didn't know about the countdown timer. I like a countdown timer that repeats. I have at least one G-Shock that has that feature so I'd have to think if I need it on a Pathfinder as well.

I wish there was an ala carte watch :)

Chad

Here are my two cents with regards to your questions:

1: The inclusion of the cardinal points lines in the 1200 or exclusion of them from the 1300 does not functionally change the use of the watch. Both of them do the same job but, the appearance choice is upto the individual.

2: The size of the watch, however, will do make a HUGE difference. I like big watches so the 1200 is better suited for me. Even though it is fat, the watch is very light and, the extra height doesn't impede my daily activities however, if you plan to wear this watch with a dress shirt (for whatever reason), you should think about it since the cuffs will never go over the watch. The 1300, on the other hand, looks much more suited for office wear etc. But again, it is upto the individual preference for watch size and bulk. Both watches are very light but, the 1300 is obviously lighter. Both watches will get scratched very easily because of the titanium bracelets.

The other thing besides the Countdown Timer (discussed above) you might want to consider is the display in standby mode. The 1200 can only show either date (MM, DD) OR the day. However, the 1300 can show the month, date and the date at the same time or the year, month and date. I personally like to see everything in one display and not have to press a button to toggle between date and day but, the smaller and thinner case doesn't justify me selecting the 1300 over the 1200 coz' size is more important to me.

Hope this helps a little bit!

vishrit

Hi, I have both the 1300 and the 1200. 1300 wins for me for basically 3 reasons
    1. you can put the barometer graph on the time screen.
    2.it is much thinner and is similar in size to a dw-6900
    3. the artificial second hand (on the outer ring)
    Being able to monitor the barometer at a glance is a great feature. The only other watch I have that has that feature is the Suunto Vector( which I also like for reasons 1 and 3)

Thread Information