Pathfinder: Go Atomic or not?

Thread: Pathfinder: Go Atomic or not?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pathfinder: Go Atomic or not?

I live in Australia. We do not have any sort of time-keeping such as in the US.

I like the features of watches such as PAW 1300 series, but need to know a couple of things

If Oz ever _did_ get time signals, would it be possible to upgrade firmware to allow using it?
    If there is no time signal can you manually set the watch anyway?
    Is there a non-atomic pathfinder that has all the features of the PAW1300s? I have had quite a look around, but that "A" seems to come with a lot of other stuff! <G>

Thanks for any help on this

Nick

Re: Pathfinder: Go Atomic or not?

I know of some fellow members 'down under' that do receive the time signal from Japan on a regular basis.

Depending on your location relative to theirs, I'd go for an Atomic version. Plus, if you want to sell it later, it would have a feature desired by others (instead of missing the feature).
    The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.
    -Albert Einstein

The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

My Team
    Casio DW-6900-1V; DW-9100; GW-5600J-1; GW-6900-1; GW-6900B; GW-7900B; GW-9200-1; GW-A1000FC-2ADR; GW-M5600-1ER; MTG-520; PAW-1500T
    Citizen AT0660-05F; AT4004-52E; AT8020-54L; ATD53-3011; AV0021-52H; AV0031-59A; BL1258-53L; BL5440-58E; BN0088-03E; BN0100-51E; BZ0000-50E; EBJ74-1741; JY0010-50E; JV0020-12F; JY0000-53E; JY8000-50E; PMD56-2861; PMT56-2731; PMX56-2812
    Omega Planet Ocean XL 2200.50.00
    Rolex Two-tone 1500
    Seiko SARB023; SBDB001; SBDC003; SBPG001; SKA371; SKA511; SKXA33; SKZ325; SLT079; SLT081; SNDA59; SNE109; SNE283; SNG045; SPB001J; SRP043; SRP227; SRP307; SSC017

Tag Heuer 500m Aquaracer WAJ2110.BA0870

Thanks for the reply.

Any idea where they are? I would assume well to the North. I am in the South-West I have just Googled and I am nearly 8,000 Km away from Tokyo, in Perth.

I doubt the signal would get that far. ??? Also, our terrain is not the best for reception; hilly ironstone, thick bush.

Also....ME SELL SOMETHING. HAH <G>

Nick

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I own the PAW1300, so it would be news to me if the firmware could be upgraded to support a new time signal. I'm thinking that it's not likely, but maybe someone else knows otherwise.

Yes, you can set the watch manually. It runs just as accurately as any other quartz watch.

I live in W. Australia, and have yet to receive the time signal from Japan or Hawaii. I do like all the other features of the watch, and the inability to receive a time signal is easily overcome by dialing the time service once or twice a month and manually setting the time.

I receive regular signals in Brisbane (most nights) and we're over 7,200km from Tokyo, so I'd say it's very likely you'd get signals further south. I have heard of people receiving in NZ too! May be WA has too much interference etc, but also, most people here don't set the watch to 'Tokyo' either...Aus city settings will not accept atomic signals.

The way to do it is either temporarily set the watch to Tokyo, sync, and then return it back to your Oz setting OR keep the home city as Tokyo and set DST to 'on' which will give you Aust Eastern Standard Time (if you're on DST in Oz, this won't be any good until the DST comes off). Unfortunately Casio refuses to design their atomics to allow syncing when set to Oz cities.

If I get a Pathy, it will almost certainly be an atomic, and I'll set it to Tokyo with DST since we don't have DST here in Qld. You southerners can just do the tempt city swap to sync your watches (which is what I do with my GW-400 because I need to keep it local setting for the tide graphing).

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will have to give this some thought. It would be interested to see if I _can_ get a Tokyo signal, and I like the idea of using an alternative. You could set one for DST and one for not! <G>\

I would probably actually use the PC mosts times to get atomic time, then set from there, but yes, if I am away (bwwwaaaah!) from my PC, ringing up is OK.

Maybe I just mail my watch to Brizzie once a week! <G>

I also give the to Casio's attitude to where you can sync.

Final question. Is there a non-atomic watch that has all the goodies? It does look dodgy for me to use atomic, and if I can get all the fruit without the atomic cost, then I would go for that, I think.

I will keep trawling the Casio stuff to see if I can find that watch, but if anyone knows of something....

Seriously, thanks again for all the advice.

Nick

If you're happy to set the time yourself, then go for a non-atomic Pathy. They're a bit cheaper than atomics. Check out the prices from these shops (I personally recommend Freddy at 21Jewels...that guy is pure class re customer service )...

http://www.21jewels.com/index.asp (free ship)
    http://www.skywatches.com.sg/watches/
    http://www.superchrono.com/index.php (free ship)

All the Pathys and Pro Treks from these shops are the non-atomic models.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegum View Post
    If you're happy to set the time yourself, then go for a non-atomic Pathy. They're a bit cheaper than atomics. Check out the prices from these shops (I personally recommend Freddy at 21Jewels...that guy is pure class re customer service )...

http://www.21jewels.com/index.asp (free ship)
    http://www.skywatches.com.sg/watches/
    http://www.superchrono.com/index.php (free ship)

All the Pathys and Pro Treks from these shops are the non-atomic models.
    Ahah! Thank you. That last sentence is what interests me. What with triple sensors (which turn out to be not for Atomic, but atmospheric <G>) etc it's a bit complex to wade through.

I read a review just now, "The ultimate Pathfinder". The reviewer points out that not until the 1500 series can you actually see the time, day and date at once. I use that quite a bit. I bet by then we won;t have a choice about Atomic!

Food for thought though. I am not in a screaming rush. This is a bit of a "present" to myself rather than a necessity. I have an old faithful Casio that must be ....10?...years old?

Nick

I suspect Casio will still put out non-atomic versions of future Pathfinders for the Asian market etc, despite the fact that many of these countries can probably receive signals...

...Casio appears very stubborn and close-minded in this regard.

I sense a love-hate here! <G>

Love the products, but not happy with the makers. A not uncommon reaction in these complex days.

I really think that not seeing the time day and date together is a deal-breaker for me at this stage. My little Casio basic does that and it seems a very strange thing to have "lost" in the name of features.

I will wait for the 1500 series, I think. I like all the "fruit" but not at the loss of the basics. I have a compass. I have a digital Thermometer. The Altimeter and Barometer are "nice to have"s. I would just like them all in one package..but not if I can't read the time! <GG>

Nick

BTW. If you are in a boat, and have no compass. You can find your direction with a digital watch!

You tie it to a piece of string, and swing it around. AFter it gets up a good speed you let it go and watch where it sinks.

You then say "Well.... that watch went West"...and you now have your direction......

Nick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information