Pathfinder / ProTrek compass ring indicator - how does this work?

Thread: Pathfinder / ProTrek compass ring indicator - how does this work?

Pathfinder / ProTrek compass ring indicator - how does this work?

Hi,

I have the Pathfinder PAW1200-7V and wonder why on the compass ring with the degress on it "0 - 30 - 60 - 90 - ...", the numbers are increased clockwise.
    When I check my old PRG-40 (or the PAG-40 on the Casio site) the scale is written counter clockwise. So exactly the other way around.

The result of this is that for example with the PAW1200-7V the graphical indicator points to 30 on the the scale, when the text shows 330 degrees NNW.
    When using the PRG-40, the graphical indicator points to 330 on the the scale, and the text also shows 330 degrees NNW.

Can anyone please explain why this is not in sync with each other, the compass text and the scale? As I just don't understand why this is and how to use it. I would expect 330 NNW displayed, is also 330 on the ring indicator. :-S

Re: Pathfinder / ProTrek compass ring indicator - how does this work?

Good question, I wonder why they did that :-S

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

same on my PRG 80Yt. to be honest I never really tought about that but it makes sense: the scale rather shows you the aberration of the 0/360° position than the current position on your PRG-40. its pretty useless to see the actual position showed both on the display AND on the scale, so the opposite scale is more handy IMO.

regards, holger
    We are 12.6 %

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the answer; I need to think about this as honestly I don't get it yet

I would think if I want to go straight North but see 330 degrees on the display, indeed I can easlily read out on the scale I need to move 30 degrees to the West. I think that is what you wrote. But if the display shows 30 degrees NNE, then I believe need to move 30 degrees to the East where the scale shows 330 degrees.

Perhaps I need to dig in a bit more in compass reading, as I'm not so experienced in that yet to understand this.

Thanks,
    Ed

Ed,
    The degrees ring should increase clockwise - E is 90 and W is 270.
    I don't have a Protrek (someday!) but here's what I think is happening... the graphical indicator is the compass needle and always points towards magnetic North (or close to it depending on magnetic inclination). The display is the actual direction the top of the watch (12 o'clock) is facing.

If the display says 330 NNW, then magnetic N is 30 degrees to the right of you and the graphics point to 30.

The inner ring on the PRG40 will give you the reading that's on the display. The reading you get on the display is the position that the top section of your watch (12 o'clock) is pointing to in regards to magnetic North. This works the same with any compass, but in the PRG40 you can look at this information graphically on this inner ring instead of looking into the display. I have never used a compass this way, and what I do is just turn myself around so I match the top of the watch with the North pointer on the graph and would guide myself using the "Outer" ring.

Newer Protreks got away from this and kept the "Outer" ring found on the PRG40. I'm guessing they did this to clean up some of the clutter on the watch face.
    ...It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live!

Thanks for all your answers; now when I read all your answers again it looks like you all are in sync and it makes sense to me now! Much appreciated

Thread Information