PAW 1500 vs PRW 1500

Thread: PAW 1500 vs PRW 1500

PAW 1500 vs PRW 1500

Hi all,

something is pusseling me and I cant find it out. I realy like the casio SPF-40 watch I have but now Casio also seems to offer a PRW-1500 which I like function whise a lot more. However, it is not appelaing to me. There is also a 1500 with orange and one with yellow but they seem to be named PAW-1500(GB-3). Is this a special edition? Why can I not find the orange and yellow ones in Europe? If i order them somehwere alse, do they work in europe (attomic time thing)?

Anybody who can shed light in my darknes?

Also, can I attach a black metal wrist band to these watches?

Thanks for your support in advance and I promise to post a picture if I buy one

Re: PAW 1500 vs PRW 1500

PRW-1500 and PAW-1500 are exactly the same watch: PAW in USA, PRW in the rest of the world. PRG-130 is also the same watch, minus the atomic sync.

The only one that is different is the PRW-1500 with a J among the letters (that is, Japan) after the first number, because it only provides metric units instead of metric+imperial.

Since they are the same watch, the atomic sync is also the same: multi-band 5, so Japan+USA+EU (no China).

You can easily attach a metal bracelet to any of the PAW/PRW-1500 or PRG-130 as long as it is made for them, in fact the PAW/PRW-1500T(J)-7 and the PRW-1500YTJ-1JF come with one. The one for the PRW-1500YTJ-1 is black, but you need to buy it from Japan, since JF means Japan-only edition.

Picture Re: PAW 1500 vs PRW 1500

You might find this quick summary of use, Casio ABC`s come with numerous naming conventions; PRW, PAW, PRG, PAG, however the model number is the same, major difference is some have "Atomic" clock reception some do not

40 first of the big screen Protrek`s runs on a massive power source of four replaceable batteries, feature set is now dated, however still a firm favorite with many including some military units. Still one of the best digital displays on the market thanks to its extremely high contrast ratio and large clear primary & secondary digits. Only non solar triple sensor in production.

80/1100 a true field watch designed for Alpinists, mountaineers, trekkers, big and brutal virtually in "G-Shock" territory for durability/survivability. Released in 2005 and getting a little old in the tooth, one of the most proven Protrek`s

110/1300 has one of Casio`s most versatile modules in a slimline form factor, offering full ABC functionality, good logging well balanced features for timing events etc. Can now be found for very reasonable prices, although the selection of versions is reducing.

130/1500 is best suited for life by the sea with its moon & tide data, 200m water resistance and limited logging. Has one of the biggest selections of versions with seven different styles to choose from.

200/2000 is very similar to the 1300 reintroducing the duplex display in the slimline form factor and adding the sunrise feature, the watch is more focused for casual wear than the 1300 with its smaller steel pushers and flush crystal. The 2000 has a new sensor and is more thermally stable than the majority of its predecessors. Still relatively new with only a few versions released so far.

New 5000 analogue digital ABC display breaks away from the norm. Casio`s most expensive ABC`s outside of the "premier" PRX line, the 5000 raises the stakes in fit & finish and the addition of the hybrid "Tough MVT" ABC movement all add to cost. The watch fly`s under the radar as an ABC, with most taking it for a typical sports watch. More in competition with Suunto`s "Elementum" than the more expensive PRX`s. all this and it still retains full ABC functionality with no loss of accuracy, not one for serious field work, a very different take on an ABC.

You will find most of my posts are ABC related so just search and you will find a wealth of info and most import the opinions of many. First step to an ABC is matching the watches feature set to your intended activities.

In this case PRW is European & Japanese markets, PAW is US & Canadian

If you are looking for colour and style options in the Casio ABC line up, the PRG-130/PRW-1500/PAW-1500 offers the most variations at present, they are best seen in real life as the colours are far more vibrant, than depicted in most online images. You can also see the differences in the displays, like the GC-3 has green highlights, in comparison to the GB-1 etc.

PRW-1500YJ-1JF or PRG-130Y-1DR Best negative display produced by Casio

PRW-1500CAJ-3JR or PRG-130GC-3DR (Kawasaki Green if you can pull it off, a super looking sports watch)

PRW-1500CAJ-4JR or PRG-130GC-4DR

PRW-1500GB-1V or PRG-130GB-1VDR

PRW-1500YTJ-1JF (Japan only, if you see one outside of Japan it`s a JDM export, Casio.DE for example)

PRW-1500TJ-7JF or PRG-130T-7VDR

PRW-1500J-1JF or PRG-130-1VDR

All have full moon phase (8 segment, single step) & tide data & dual CDT

The PRW`s are listed out of Japan, Euro & US version have differing numbering sequences. Just go to Casio.com for you regional site for more info.

PRG`s do not have "Atomic" reception, most Japanese domestic market (JDM) Protrek`s are metric only , however all barring the "YTJ" are available in different regions with both metric & imperial measurements. The "Black" titanium (Ion plated) bracelet off the YTJ can be sourced for around $60 USD and will fit any of the 1500/130 range, making a more realistic alternative to the JDM PRW-1500J-1JF which is priced for the domestic market (expensive around $800) and metric only.

PRG-130/PRW-1500 has a 24hr Chronograph, yet the CDT is only 60 min, the logging feature is poor for an ABC only recording only two values max altitude & user recorded altitude. Typically you would expect min & max total ascent & descent, even rate of ascent & descent from an ABC watch, if this type of data is important to you don`t buy a PRG-130/PRW-1500 as you will only be disappointed. Compass has declination correction, moon & tidal data, world time, solar powered with "Atomic" clock reception. The display has the smallest primary digits of all the present triple sensors, due to the amount of information presented on the display; Well suited to mixed activities particularly marine orientated (hence the weak logging feature), some shallow dive activities (200m WR) etc. Later models appear to be far more accurate/less drift (altimeter & barometer) than the initial production release, which is par for the course with Protrek.

My PRG-130 just kind of snook up and quietly clocked up the wrist hours. I always thought I would move it on, as it`s ability as a field ABC is compromised for several reasons (which I still standby), however as a multifunctional digital it`s a very hard watch to beat, for work and generally knocking about. The watch offers a lot of differing looks thanks to the numerous combinations of straps, and bracelet that can be changed quickly. I now have the PRG-130 GB, PRG-130GC and PRG-130Y.

Those looking for the new negative PAW-1500Y, might want to search out a PRG-130Y, they are significantly cheaper, around $250 (shipped), mine was $208 as opposed to the 1500Y`s near $400 asking price, same watch only difference "Atomic" reception

You can source the "Black" titanium bracelet from tiktox.com (UK based), if out of stock you will need to wait a month or so, just mail Keith

Q-6

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Briliant summary and thnks a lot. I will shop arround a bit for the orange one!! Although the yellow one is also verry cool and the one with a black screen I gues i need them al 3

@Q6:

You might want to add the PRG-500, the non-atomic version of the 5000.

Also, I think PRW/PRG/PRX is for all markets outside of North America, even though PRW is most common in EU+JP, PRG in Asia and PRX in JP.

North America has (mostly older) PAG as well as (mostly newer) PAW.

Quote Originally Posted by RiseOfTheAnts View Post
    @Q6:

You might want to add the PRG-500, the non-atomic version of the 5000.

Also, I think PRW/PRG/PRX is for all markets outside of North America, even though PRW is most common in EU+JP, PRG in Asia and PRX in JP.

North America has (mostly older) PAG as well as (mostly newer) PAW.
    Thanks, yes the PRG-500 is amiss, sadly it not only doe not have the "Atomic " feature the watch also does not have the "Tough MVT" which is a great shame, there is no doubt in the reliability of the regular Casio movements, however the the "Tough MVT" is a guarantee of accuracy. Sorry to say Casio dropped the "Ball" with this one as this is a strong selling point for the top of the range Protrek. The watch lacks the instant readability of a digital, so the omission of the auto correcting movement is a big differentiator for me

Q-6

Here's an example of two watches that look almost identical, except one's atomic and one isn't. Just goes to show you that you have to take a close look at what you're getting before you realize you didn't get something you want.

If you look at these two watches they both look great, and only have minimal differences appearance wise. If atomic isn't important to you, you can save 200 bucks by getting the non-atomic version.

I'm using these as an example because I just got the atomic version of the one below (not from that website though) and looked around a lot before buying.

PRW-1500YJ-1 (Atomic):

PRG130Y-1DR: (not atomic)

Thread Information