People like this anger me.

Thread: People like this anger me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry People like this anger me.

Check out this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true

Nice, right? Fantastic starting bid, etc., etc... but read carefully the description.

"PS pls adjust your bid accordingly, i am keeping starting bid low, shipping and handling at $40.so the starting price is at $40.25. pls email if you have any questions."

$40.00 for shipping. Insane!

Now tell me... how many people would bid without catching that caveat? I'm guessing quite a few.

Is it too much to ask that a seller just be honest and straightforward? It's kinda like those morons who sell PS2 and XBOX boxes without anything inside. Oh, the description states that... but you have to carefully read it to catch it.

I understand that people should read the descriptions carefully, and I always do. But it just cheeses me how cheeky some people are.

Sorry, I'm venting. Carry on, gents.

WallaceD

Re: People like this anger me.

Nice catch Wallace!

Plenty of snakes in EBay.
    Best regards,

Mike Hogan
    [email protected]

"Go ahead laddie. Buy the watch."

Was Japan, now back home in Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Hi Wally -

It depends on how he or she is shipping.

If it's express priority Air Mail, tracked, regsitered and insured, fair enough.

I would have to charge $48 on my auctions for this same method.

I don't because it is very high.

In Japan, It was only $25!!! Who said Japan was "Expensive"B-)

I have been sending all my watches from Cairns by insured Air mail only and items have been taking up to twenty days to arrive, although able to be traced and tracked by the Post Office, albeit very slow.

My biggest problem is being a long way from Sydney in Cairns.

When I post from here, all items get X-rayed, scanned, sniffer dogged, and sometimes opened before heading down to Brisbane. From Brisbane they go through the same process, before heading to Sydney.

From Sydney, the same process again before heading OS on the plane.

So I think it could be up to four days after I actually post before they even leave Australia!!

Geez I miss everything Japan, including the women:-D

It's probably best to email the seller, and ask them what postage method they are using.

If it's standard, not insured, and definitely not recommended, they are obviously charging a service/handling fee for Pay Pal and EBay commission, although depedning on how high the final auction price is, the $40 may not cover all..

Keep in mind that you are in the UK and your customs are VERY strict about tax so It's best if you request how much you would like the insured value down at, keeping in mind, if the item doesn't arrive, you are only covered for what it was insured for so It's a viscious circle.

Also check if the seller is a POWER SELLER - SQUARE TRADE VERIFIED - and PAY PAL Verified, thus you are covered by all..

Some sellers request that the buyer pay for the Pay Pal fees.

Anyway, at the end of the day, always make sure you know what you are up for before you bid, check postage, and item, email the seller and use that as a gauge.. No reply, don't bid!

Always be sceptical unless you know the seller and/or have dealt with them before..

All the best - OZZ

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I emailed the seller and he said he was just trying to keep the starting bid down. Deceitful, but I've learned the hard way to reread all auctions. The watch has a 1 inch scratch on the crystal also.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE

<snip>
    This wasn't a case of expensive overseas shipping. This was just shameless circumvention of appropriate fees/prices, and it's against eBay policies.

WallaceD

HA!

eBay removed the item. Guess I'm not the only one who noticed, eh?

WallaceD

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE
    Hi Wally -

If it's express priority Air Mail, tracked, regsitered and insured, fair enough.

I would have to charge $48 on my auctions for this same method.

I don't because it is very high.

In Japan, It was only $25!!! Who said Japan was "Expensive"B-)

I have been sending all my watches from Cairns by insured Air mail only and items have been taking up to twenty days to arrive, although able to be traced and tracked by the Post Office, albeit very slow.

My biggest problem is being a long way from Sydney in Cairns.

When I post from here, all items get X-rayed, scanned, sniffer dogged, and sometimes opened before heading down to Brisbane. From Brisbane they go through the same process, before heading to Sydney.

From Sydney, the same process again before heading OS on the plane.

So I think it could be up to four days after I actually post before they even leave Australia!!

Geez I miss everything Japan, including the women:-D

It's probably best to email the seller, and ask them what postage method they are using.

If it's standard, not insured, and definitely not recommended, they are obviously charging a service/handling fee for Pay Pal and EBay commission, although depedning on how high the final auction price is, the $40 may not cover all..

Keep in mind that you are in the UK and your customs are VERY strict about tax so It's best if you request how much you would like the insured value down at, keeping in mind, if the item doesn't arrive, you are only covered for what it was insured for so It's a viscious circle.

Also check if the seller is a POWER SELLER - SQUARE TRADE VERIFIED - and PAY PAL Verified, thus you are covered by all..

Some sellers request that the buyer pay for the Pay Pal fees.

Anyway, at the end of the day, always make sure you know what you are up for before you bid, check postage, and item, email the seller and use that as a gauge.. No reply, don't bid!

Always be sceptical unless you know the seller and/or have dealt with them before..

All the best - OZZ
    I bought a watch from Singapore and it took just 2 days to be shipped to Europe (UPS). That was incredibly fast I thought!

Ad.

Was Japan, now back home in Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Excuse me for my ignorance, but I can't work out what the problem was with the listing..

The seller quoted shipping and handling costs, what's wrong with that?

Adanac: UPS is a very fast international express courier service. Most of my APO military sales used to go UPS.

All the best - OZZIE

Angry Re: People like this anger me.

That seller violated eBay's listing policies. That's what was wrong.

Read this, Ozzie:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies...g-shipping.html

To quote: "A shipping and handling fee can cover the seller's reasonable costs for mailing, packaging and handling the item. However, shipping and handling fees may not be listed as a percentage of the final sale price."

Obviously eBay agreed that this was the case with the auction, as it was removed. The item has now been relisted, and the seller confirms that this was the case:

"PS THis item is a relist because some ebayers complained about the high shipping and handling cost and low starting bid. Ebay took it down a while ago. So there i am, relisting the same item with a high starting bid and FREE SHIPPING FOR THE US OF A Only. Anyway, pls email if you have questions. PLs bid only if you are agreeable with the item description."

WallaceD

Great call and links, Wally! I have a real problem with paying too much for shipping like that. It feels dishonest even if he's upfront about it.

I agree with Oz also though, that if he were to spend $40 on the shipping, it'd be fine, but he was just trying to get around the fees.

Neil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information