Perfumed G Shock!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike K

Thread: Perfumed G Shock!

Perfumed G Shock!

Hiya guys, I recently purchased a used GW2310 from the aution site and im very perplexed as the watch smells strongly of perfume or deodorant! I had to wash the thing anyway as it was filthy but I didn't get rid of the perfume smell. I prefer to shower instead of hiding my body odour so I notice this thing noticeably. Has anyone had anything similar?

Re: Perfumed G Shock!

I bought a frogman with the same problem. I tried sealing it in baking soda, scrubbing it with detergent and putting it in the dishwasher. Nothing helped.

I've yet to try sealing it in a container with activated carbon, but hear it's a better method than what I've tried thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Hiya guys, I recently purchased a used GW2310 from the aution site and im very perplexed as the watch smells strongly of perfume or deodorant! I had to wash the thing anyway as it was filthy but I didn't get rid of the perfume smell. I prefer to shower instead of hiding my body odour so I notice this thing noticeably. Has anyone had anything similar?
    You're certainly not alone: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/rem...ke-912129.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/how...ll-534770.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/how...ll-295966.html

I won a GW-2310 on "that auction site" that had a relatively faint cologne/aftershave smell. Luckily for me that faded after just a few weeks and I didn't have to try any of the methods in those threads.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

im currently working on one myself! dont know why i didnt just search this forum for tips! lol (thanks for the links mike (y) ) but turns out getting smells out of plastic is pretty universal. ive tried pretty much everything listed in those threads except for the coffee since i dont drink it or like the smell of it! ...tho it would be a damn sight better than the nasty cologne this thing has been soaked in! i mean seriously, how are you applying it to get that much on your watch??

the quickest and easiest method is toothpaste. gave it a good scrub then let it sit there for half an hour or so then gave it a good rinse. instantly noticeably less but i have a sensitive nose so when i wasnt wearing it i had it in a bag with mint chewing gum.
    recently i have decided to go at it more aggressively since a passive soak in vinegar/baking soda or dry baking soda or active carbon wasnt cutting it, you need very hot water to let the resin "breath" kind of like the dying process where the colour is absorbed... but opposite. did about 8 soaks in very hot water (boiling water with about 25% cold water) swapping it out after about 20-30min each time and rinsing it after each. after a few times i noticed a fine frosted coating appearing on it, rubbed it off with a tissue, smelled the tissue and what do you know it smelt like that damn cologne! watch its def. much better but i think the only real way is to sweat it out. i had one with a faint smoke smell once, wore it nonstop for a couple weeks attending summer concerts and music festivals and sure enough it was gone after that. nothing beats festival sweat! lol

good luck man, nothing worse than cringing at the thought of wearing your new watch cos it stinks!
    One struck by lightning is not the same as by a baseball or cabbage.

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Its wierd right how there's this perfume/cologne/deodorant issue going on here. Do people actively douse their watches to make them fragrant? Is that a valid hint or tip to counter an even worse odour?

At a guess, I'd say it's just because some people douse themselves with cologne and aftershave more than others do.

Throw in the decade-long advertising blitz from Axe (or Lynx in some regions) male grooming products and their "body sprays," which are aimed at young males who are also targeted by Casio ads, and we end up with some odoriferous watches!
    Crater likes this.

If you let the resin sit in the sun and get hot and let it breathe, as soulbridgemedia stated, this should eventually let the smell out over time.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

i tried the sun baking thing too, its a solar so thought two birds n all that. it did sweat it out a bit for the first few days but it kind of didnt make much difference the next few and im talking 30C+ days of full sunshine. i ended up giving up, didnt want the prolonged sun exposure to fade or add unnecessary wear to the resin.

agreed with the body spray thing, they think its just like on the ad, the more you spray the more chance or the more chicks youre gonna get :rolleyes: of course this leads to more usage = more purchases = more stank ass watches ):
    One struck by lightning is not the same as by a baseball or cabbage.

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

I got what I thought was a killer deal - 3 g-shocks for about $85 or so. One was a Nigel Sylverster XL, and 2 others. BUT when I got them, they smelled of febreeze. The seller was a smoker (cigars!) and he must have Febreezed everything in his place to cover the massive stink.

I was honest and resold them for my cost, but I'm with you. It sucks. Hope the sun trick helps

Neil

Thread Information