Persnickety man needs a watch!
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Persnickety man needs a watch!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Persnickety man needs a watch!

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I need a g shock that has very specific attributes and as much as I love the casio site, it really is not very user friendly.

I've recently purchased a GW9000A-1 Mudman Solar Atomic watch and I found that it does not come with an automatic restart Countdown timer and I'm thinking of returning it.

I've tried in vain to find if another g shock can have it... and thus far it's been the Module 3031 watches...I've no idea how to find out which watch has which module.

Anyhooo, these are the things I'd like in a g shock.. I would really appreciate anyone helping me find a watch:

Must Haves:

- Tough Solar
    - Atomic Timekeeping
    - Stopwatch
    - Countdown Timer (with auto reset AND auto restart... so I can have 15 minute beeps to be more productive).
    - Positive Display.

Optional:

- Compass
    - Calendar

This one has what I need but has a negative display that I do not like (Mudman GW9000-GP). I have done my research, and my homework before asking anyone to assist, but unfortunately I've reached the end of my rope on this one.

Can anyone help ?!

-Bertietabac
    Last edited by bertietabac; December 5th, 2011 at 22:13. Reason: countdown timer auto restart gshock

Re: Persnickety man needs a watch!

Does the Japanese GW9300 have auto restart?

There's not many solar/atomic G-Shocks out there that have auto-repeat timers - one of the reasons might be that the receiving function won't work as long as the timer is running. There still are a few however like the GWX-5600 which has a double timer with a max duration of 99min55sec and 10 times auto-repeat. The STW-1000 has the same timer and is also solar/atomic but is only sold in Japan so far. There are a few Protreks with a repeat-timer but those are limited to a duration of max 60 min - the PAW-1500 or PAW-1200 for example do have auto-repeat timers. The W-S220 (wrote a review on it) has the same timer as the GWX-5600/STW-1000 (all of those models have the same "base module" - even though they have different module numbers) and it's solar but not atomic - still a great watch though and much bang for the buck. The GW-2500 and GW-3500 Aviator models also feature a 60 min repeat timer which repeats up to 8 times.
    There are far more "standard battery" models that feature a repeat timer btw - for example:
    DW-5600
    DW-6900
    GD-200
    G-2900
    G-7900
    G-8000
    G-9000
    GLX-6900
    GLS-5600
    GLS-5500
    G-7710/7700 (only repeats 5 times)
    G-7800
    and a few discontinued models like:
    DW-56RT
    G-056
    RFT-100
    AMW-707 (ana-digi with a 100 hr timer with auto-repeat - many models out there with a similar module)
    There's a lot more of course.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sedi hit the nail on the head...there's not many Solar/Atomic Gs with a repeating CDT. That is the main feature I use on my Gs as well. The GWX-5600 is the only one I knew of. So many more options in regards to look and style when it comes to the non solar/atomic Gs with this feature. They're all great watches. They don't lose much time and the battery life is often around 10 yrs before replacing is necessary. And, batteries for a non-solar watch are much cheaper than the solar ones.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

While I don't know of any G shocks that have all the features you are looking for, the Pathfinder PAW 1200 has an auto repeating countdown timer. Just expect it to beep at you. A lot.

I have - and love - the G-7800. It's not solar or atomic but it has everything else and some really cool oddball features. I got mine on eBay just a few weeks ago. There should be plenty hanging around.

BTW module 3031 is in non-atomic/non-solar mudman G9000. I found it is quite a capable model. I don't miss the missing solar feature in this mudman at all because it has the beautiful dual illuminator. I guess that Casio can't do the dual illum with solar panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Wojo View Post
    While I don't know of any G shocks that have all the features you are looking for, the Pathfinder PAW 1200 has an auto repeating countdown timer. Just expect it to beep at you. A lot.
    Only if you use the progress beeper. Otherwise it just beeps at the end of the countdown.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Sedi,

Thank you so much for the detailed response!.

I think I'll go with the 9000 Mudman (G9000 Series - G-Shock - Mens, Womens, Ladies, Digital, Analog, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.). As suggested by you and GShockMe, the G9000-1V has the 3031 module.

Unfortunately it does not come with Tough Solar or Atomic time.. but at least I'm glad the combination does not exist (for round faced watches at least).

thank you all for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    There's not many solar/atomic G-Shocks out there that have auto-repeat timers - one of the reasons might be that the receiving function won't work as long as the timer is running. There still are a few however like the GWX-5600 which has a double timer with a max duration of 99min55sec and 10 times auto-repeat. The STW-1000 has the same timer and is also solar/atomic but is only sold in Japan so far. There are a few Protreks with a repeat-timer but those are limited to a duration of max 60 min - the PAW-1500 or PAW-1200 for example do have auto-repeat timers. The W-S220 (wrote a review on it) has the same timer as the GWX-5600/STW-1000 (all of those models have the same "base module" - even though they have different module numbers) and it's solar but not atomic - still a great watch though and much bang for the buck. The GW-2500 and GW-3500 Aviator models also feature a 60 min repeat timer which repeats up to 8 times.
    There are far more "standard battery" models that feature a repeat timer btw - for example:
    DW-5600
    DW-6900
    GD-200
    G-2900
    G-7900
    G-8000
    G-9000
    GLX-6900
    GLS-5600
    GLS-5500
    G-7710/7700 (only repeats 5 times)
    G-7800
    and a few discontinued models like:
    DW-56RT
    G-056
    RFT-100
    AMW-707 (ana-digi with a 100 hr timer with auto-repeat - many models out there with a similar module)
    There's a lot more of course.

cheers, Sedi
    GShockMe likes this.

Check this one too. Solar mudman G-9010. Not sure about repeat CDT but the rally stopwatch is quite advance. It also has an atomic/solar version. I'd download the manual from here to study if it has functions that you want. Enter module 3153 for G-9010.

GW-9010 Mudman Real After All, Still Ugly | MY G-SHOCK

Name:  G-9010-1.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  91.8 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information