Photo "Enhancement" & "G-Fraud": Two Threads for the Price of One

Thread: Photo "Enhancement" & "G-Fraud": Two Threads for the Price of One

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Photo "Enhancement" & "G-Fraud": Two Threads for the Price of One

I normally won't buy "replica" or fake watches from NYC street vendors. There are a number of reasons for this -- one of which is that I don't want to encourage sales of fraudulent goods that a casual consumer might well think are real. (Anybody who buys a fake Rolex on the street for $20 and thinks he's getting a real one likely has far bigger problems than being defrauded by a street vendor.)

But I was curious about the fake "G's this vendor had. They are also all over eBay. So, I picked one up for $8.00.

While a watch fan will recognize in two seconds that this is not a legitimate G-Shock (the writing on the dial is wrong, the functions are wrong, etc.), I don't think the fake would be so obvious to the more casual consumer. While the resin has a cheaper, slightly lighter feel to it and the case likewise feels light, the quality of construction (at least externally) is not *so* off as to scream fake to a casual consumer who may have seen G's, but is unfamiliar with them. The watch feels at least a little "substantial" in the hand and on the wrist.

There are factories, I gather, that are churning out these fakes (and fakes of other brands, I assume) by the millions.

I took a couple of quick, indoor shocks of the fake, uploaded them to my G4 Powerbook, duplicated the shots and then "enhanced" the copies in iPhoto. (I'm sure my version of iPhoto is pretty old.) I'll show the originals followed by the enhanced versions.

I don't have Photoshop on my old Mac or on my more current Windows laptop -- but I wonder what this simple "enhancement" button on iPhoto is actually doing. It does seem to make the colors "pop" a bit more:

(A)

(B)

(A)

(B)

(A)

(B)

(A)

(B)

Last edited by Kronos; September 19th, 2009 at 17:13. Reason: clean up layout

Re: Photo "Enhancement" & "G-Fraud": Two Threads for the Price of One

The originals are on top (a)? It looks like those are the more vivid photos, and (b) is more washed-out.

What's next for this fake? Disassembly? Torture test?
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

Quote Originally Posted by sl8763 View Post
    The originals are on top (a)? It looks like those are the more vivid photos, and (b) is more washed-out.

What's next for this fake? Disassembly? Torture test?
    I cleaned up the layout a bit to make it clearer: "A" or "B" appear on top of the photos. The "B's" are the enhanced shots -- the color seems brighter, doesn't it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the close-up shots.
    Ebay has been rife with far more than the usual BAPE fakes these days:9052, G7700, Risemen, Gulfmen, and of course frogs. I used to enjoy searching for Casio watches on ebay but when my page is 1/3 fake models, it's a bit of a turn-off

It seems like the B photos just have the brightness increased. The A photos actually look like the enhanced-color versions. Just my opinion.
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

can you drop it from 10M and see if it survives?
    Couple of watches here and there

thanks for the photos. i wonder why they go ahead and rip off g-shock on the bezel, then it's g-sport on the face, then just shock-resist on the back. in other words, i wonder why they don't just copy the markings exactly. maybe the module / caseback is semi legal where it's produced and the resin is made elsewhere, or clones from a real casio (?)
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

water test then drop test!!

Suspended

If I didn't know better, I would be fooled. I missed the G Sport on first glance.

For $8, that's a pretty good example. These things must be made for 50 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by sl8763 View Post
    It seems like the B photos just have the brightness increased. The A photos actually look like the enhanced-color versions. Just my opinion.
    Having just played around with the controls, I think the "enhance button" (shown in the "B" photos) increases the brightness and the contrast a bit. I played with another copy and increased brightness and saturation a little bit, pushed the contrast almost as far as it would go and tried to sharpen the pic a bit. This is what I got:

and here is the original photo:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information