Please, help! Problems with solar functions (GW-6900)

Thread: Please, help! Problems with solar functions (GW-6900)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    Member godizded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    841

    Please, help! Problems with solar functions (GW-6900)

    Hi, Guys,

    Some weeks ago I purchased a GW-6900 on eBay. It was in "used" condition". I opened the package and it looked great. All functions seemed to perform great.

    Name:  GW-6900-1ER.jpg
Views: 2291
Size:  13.6 KB

    Well.

    Not that great.

    I have discovered that the display is always ON and the watch is always fully operational. Even when the POWER SAVING MODE is active. Even after many hours remaining in total darkness.

    I thought that maybe the solar area didn't detect any light, but it does: When I activate the "Full auto EL" function and do the wrist thing in a sunny area, the EL DOES NOT turn on. If I do the wrist thing in a dark area, the EL does turn on.

    But my biggest fear is that probably the watch is UNABLE TO CHARGE. It was on MEDIUM when I received it. After several days of exposing it all day to direct sunlight (no window glass, sunny day) is still on MEDIUM.

    What's happening? Any advice will be welcome.

    I own several 6900's, but I was very excited because it was my first solar-atomic. I purchased it as a self gift for my 40 birthday. I am very disappointed because this is the second solar Casio I own with serious issues. The other one had the "Recovering blues" thing and ended totally dead. :(

    Let's hope I have better luck with this one.

    Thanx for reading and thanks in advance for helpin,

    G.
    Last edited by godizded; January 30th, 2011 at 22:09.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,809

    Re: Please, help! Problems with solar functions (GW-6900)

    Hmmm - if you are absolutely 100% confident that powersave is indeed correctly engaged/turned on then it sounds like a fault, that the watch won't go into sleep mode.

    A very unusual fault though - I take it you have access to the manual and there is no doubt that powersave is turned on. When you remove from darkness I take it that you are bringing it into low ambient light ? Because if the light is bright enough it will turn on from powersave immediately.

    The charge thing - I don't know - sometimes they do seem to take forever to get from M to H.

    I guess if it was sold in 'used but fully functional' condition you can get into a dispute with the seller - very annoying/unsatisfactory that may be.

  3. #3
    Member tribe125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    29,513

    Re: Please, help! Problems with solar functions (GW-6900)

    Quote Originally Posted by godizded View Post
    When I activate the "Full auto EL" function and do the wrist thing in a sunny area, the EL DOES NOT turn on. If I do the wrist thing in a dark area, the EL does turn on.
    It's not meant to turn on in a sunny area. Full auto EL senses the ambient light and prevents it turning on to avoid wasting power.


    Quote Originally Posted by godizded View Post
    It was on MEDIUM when I received it. After several days of exposing it all day to direct sunlight (no window glass, sunny day) is still on MEDIUM.
    Not too much to worry about there. If it still doesn't move to 'high' after a week you may have a problem. Think of it this way - if it got to 'high' quickly, the battery capacity would be quite limited.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,809

    Re: Please, help! Problems with solar functions (GW-6900)

    Tribe, I think he's pointing out that the Full Auto EL works, ergo the solar sensor is correctly deducing that it is bright out, making it all the more curious that it doesn't seem to recognise the dark - hence the PS problem, i.e. not just a completely bust sensor - that is presuming that PS is correctly turned on.

  6. #5
    Member tribe125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    29,513

    Re: Please, help! Problems with solar functions (GW-6900)

    Ah, I see what you mean. Checking the manual, I see that the screen should go blank after 60-70 minutes, except between 6am and 9.59pm.

    In that case, and unless the poster keeps some strange hours, there seems to be a problem.

    Apologies for my misreading of the post.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

  7. #6
    Member godizded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    841

    Re: Please, help! Problems with solar functions (GW-6900)

    Hi, Coler.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coler View Post
    Hmmm - if you are absolutely 100% confident that powersave is indeed correctly engaged/turned on then it sounds like a fault, that the watch won't go into sleep mode.

    A very unusual fault though - I take it you have access to the manual and there is no doubt that powersave is turned on. When you remove from darkness I take it that you are bringing it into low ambient light ? Because if the light is bright enough it will turn on from powersave immediately.

    The charge thing - I don't know - sometimes they do seem to take forever to get from M to H.

    I guess if it was sold in 'used but fully functional' condition you can get into a dispute with the seller - very annoying/unsatisfactory that may be.
    I have other solar G's and I am 100% sure that the PS is engaged. Of course I have also downloaded the manual.

    I have intentionally put the watch in a totally dark room, and several hours later I have entered and checked the display in very very dim light. It is ON all the time.

    Returnig the watch sucks, because it's 20 dollars more for sending it from Spain to USA. :(

    I'll keep exposing it to light, but as I said it's been ouside for 5 days and it is not workin...

    G.

  8. #7
    Member godizded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    841

    Re: Please, help! Problems with solar functions (GW-6900)

    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Ah, I see what you mean. Checking the manual, I see that the screen should go blank after 60-70 minutes, except between 6am and 9.59pm.

    In that case, and unless the poster keeps some strange hours, there seems to be a problem.

    Apologies for my misreading of the post.
    No problem at all and thanx a bunch for trying to help, Tribe. :)

    Yes, I meant auto EL light detection works like a charm. PS light detection doesn't.

    Question is: does charging work? I think it doesn't. And if it doesn't, is there something I can do about it?

    Thanx again!

    G.

  9. #8
    Member Sedi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bamberg, Germany
    Posts
    13,980

    Re: Please, help! Problems with solar functions (GW-6900)

    Quote Originally Posted by godizded View Post
    I have intentionally put the watch in a totally dark room, and several hours later I have entered and checked the display in very very dim light. It is ON all the time.
    At night or during daytime? PS won't engage during daytime. You can also check if the solar panels are working in one of the "test screens". Press adjust+mode+search(start/stop) - then scroll through the test screens with start/stop till the watch displays "SLR" - then cover the display with your hand for about 2-3 seconds - when you remove your hand "8888" should be displayed to indicate that the solar panel picks up the light. But I fear this will still not solve your problem because you said the full auto EL is working. I'd still give it a few more days. In the winter here in Germany it took forever till my PRW-1200 reached "H" - even with keeping it in the window day after day. I bought it months ago and it just reached "H" a few days ago.

    Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

  10. #9
    Member cal..45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)
    Posts
    8,512

    Re: Please, help! Problems with solar functions (GW-6900)

    Quote Originally Posted by godizded View Post
    But my biggest fear is that probably the watch is UNABLE TO CHARGE. It was on MEDIUM when I received it. After several days of exposing it all day to direct sunlight (no window glass, sunny day) is still on MEDIUM.

    What's happening? Any advice will be welcome.

    Since the watch was used, it is possible that the battery was drawn before to "a point of no return", meaning the rechargeable battery could be damaged and therefore no longer able to hold a full charge or even go to full.

    I am very disappointed because this is the second solar Casio I own with serious issues. The other one had the "Recovering blues" thing and ended totally dead. :(
    I'm very aware of the "recovery blues" as you name it, I had the same experience once with a PRG-80 and a Citizen Eco Drive. It might not happen all to often but it happens and this makes solar not 100% reliable.

    Let's hope I have better luck with this one.
    I wish you the best, give the watch a few more days of sun and see what happens.


    cheers
    We are 12.6 %

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2,809

    Re: Please, help! Problems with solar functions (GW-6900)

    Yes - unless Cal has put his always accurate finger on it - Power save won't kick in during those hours (6am before 10:00pm)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •