Pls help me get my gw-5000.
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Pls help me get my gw-5000.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wink Pls help me get my gw-5000.

Hi wus masters. A very good friend of mine will be going on a tour to japan in a few weeks, naturally i asked him if he could purchase a g-shock Gw-5000 for me, being bff's he said yes lol

but here are the problems:

1. Its my friends first time there, speaks zero japanese, where is the best place to find the watch there?

2. In relation to number 1, How much would the gw-5000 cost in japan? Rakuten lists the watch at 33000jpy, is that the standard price for a gw-5000? Or are they significantly cheaper in stores?

3. Is it true that if he shows his passport, he would get a 8% discount for being a tourist? <-- i've read it here somewhere in wus

4. Are there still gw-5000b's being sold there? This would be a tough one since im already having trouble describing the differences between the gw-5000 and the gw-m5610 to my friend lol (he is not into g-shock or watches in general)

5. (Optional) Is the combi bracelet being sold there as an accessory?

thanks wusketeers... Hopefully, with your help, all goes well and i'll own the elusive gw-5000 soon :)

Re: Pls help me get my gw-5000.

Quote Originally Posted by kcohS-G View Post
    Hi wus masters. A very good friend of mine will be going on a tour to japan in a few weeks, naturally i asked him if he could purchase a g-shock Gw-5000 for me, being bff's he said yes lol

1. Its my friends first time there, speaks zero japanese, where is the best place to find the watch there?

2. In relation to number 1, How much would the gw-5000 cost in japan? Rakuten lists the watch at 33000jpy, is that the standard price for a gw-5000? Or are they significantly cheaper in stores?

3. Is it true that if he shows his passport, he would get a 8% discount for being a tourist? <-- i've read it here somewhere in wus

4. Are there still gw-5000b's being sold there? This would be a tough one since im already having trouble describing the differences between the gw-5000 and the gw-m5610 to my friend lol (he is not into g-shock or watches in general)

thanks wusketeers... Hopefully, with your help, all goes well and i'll own the elusive gw-5000 soon :)
    As far as I know you can get discount for the tax. However you can buy it online from here and the price is already low enough (including international delivery).
    GW-5000-1JF

I doubt your friend can find a new GW-5000B since it was released in 2009.
    I got mine from yahoo japan auction. But you will need 3rd party buyer to participate in the auction.
    G-Shock GW-5000-1AJF
    G-Shock DW-5000-1JF
    G-Shock GW-5000B-1JR
    Omega Seamaster Professional 2254.50
    Omega Seamaster Professional 2254.50 (well you know, for backup)
    Rolex Osyter Perpetual 116000 Silver.

Quote Originally Posted by gzpermadi View Post
    As far as I know you can get discount for the tax. However you can buy it online from here and the price is already low enough (including international delivery).
    GW-5000-1JF

I doubt your friend can find a new GW-5000B since it was released in 2009.
    I got mine from yahoo japan auction. But you will need 3rd party buyer to participate in the auction.
    thanks for the reply but due to customs taxes here in my country, i would have to pay double if i ordered online. Thats why i think my only option is to buy directly from a brick and mortar store in japan with the help of my friend.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Visit the Akihabara District of Tokyo. The Tokyo subway stops there. It's the electronics shopping district of the city. Many Casio shops there. From my experiences, no negotiations on price.
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

Quote Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
    Visit the Akihabara District of Tokyo. The Tokyo subway stops there. It's the electronics shopping district of the city. Many Casio shops there. From my experiences, no negotiations on price.
    Thanks! Will add that to the list... So far from searching this forum, i've got "bic camera" store also

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

With the JPY still being quite low compared to the USD, you are better off buying it on-line. Remember... your friend would have to find a shop with an attractive price, AND he'd be responsible for bringing it back to you. There's always the chance for something to go wrong on the return trip. Maybe even customs. I do not think it would be worth the risk, even if you save a little $$.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Putting Akihabara on the list of places to find G-Shocks is like putting Tokyo on a list of places to go in Japan.
    Is in the MEGA-CENTER of electronics, I've been there and it's insanely overwhelming. Best of luck to you and your friend! I'd also go the route of just ordering it online, especially since your friend doesn't have the dozens of minor variations of square G-Shocks memorized. Then again, they might get lucky!

Name:  5-Chuo-Sobu6.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  243.5 KB
    GaryK30 and domoon like this.

Thanks my wus sith lords. Ill just tell my friend to wear the watch and ditch the box when he comes back to avoid being questioned by customs ;) (he does not wear any watches) anyway, as backup i told him that if he cant find the gw5000, just buy any g-shock that's "made in japan" for $100 or less lol.

ordering online is really not one of my options because of our custom taxes. Cant/wont pay $500 total for a plastic watch ;)
    Last edited by kcohS-G; January 19th, 2016 at 10:25.

Moderator G-Shock Forum

In the large department stores you can fill out an export document.
    The shop will then lower the sales price according to the reduced tax.
    You have to keep that document until you leave Japan.
    When you cross japanese customs at the end of the trip you will show the export document and the cumstoms officer will check if the watch is in your baggage and now leaving the country!

Another department store chain with a good range of Gs is the LABI chain.
    Found one of these in different cities.
    In some cities you will find the "Don Quijote" markets which are trading with everything.
    One is in Tokyo directly beside the biggest Temple.
    They have mixed pickles and Rolex! And they have G-Shocks (but not the full range like big camera or Labi).

Quote Originally Posted by kcohS-G View Post

Last edited by d2mac; January 19th, 2016 at 14:17.
    kcohS-G likes this.

Did ur friend manage to get the watch in japan?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information