Polarizing film?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Polarizing film?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polarizing film?

Where can I find that self adhesive polarizing film? I recently bought two squares and want to experiment in doing a negative display on a glx5600.

Re: Polarizing film?

Will this work?Name:  image.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  194.9 KB

It looks like that should work.

When I did my "mod," I couldn't find any listings for that film on eBay so I followed the advice of a couple threads at that time and just used one of the polarized film lenses from a pair of "RealD" 3D glasses from the movies.

Worked great, and it didn't cost anything!
    phattbam likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Aren't the new 3d glasses hard glasses? They look like fake rayban sunglasses now. How would I paste it on?

Quote Originally Posted by armyofone2134 View Post
    Aren't the new 3d glasses hard glasses? They look like fake rayban sunglasses now. How would I paste it on?
    I haven't seen a RealD movie in about a year now, but at that time the frames were made of hard plastic.

The lenses, though, were made of a VERY thin layer of polarized plastic film, which was easy to cut with a pair of scissors.

I cut the new film slightly larger than the LCD display, as the thread I was following suggested, and no adhesive was required. The oversized shape keeps it from sliding around, and the film is sandwiched between the glass in the bezel and the glass in the LCD.

If anybody tries to purchase "polarizing film," there are at least two different sorts: the shiny, clear sort that Casio uses at the factory (and presumably the same stuff they use on cell phones) and a semi-opaque, frosted sort that is used on TV screens and computer monitors. I haven't tried using the frosted sort I got (for free!) from my local TV/monitor repair shop, but it didn't look like it was going to work out because of the surface texture.
    Last edited by Mike K; December 31st, 2013 at 07:38.

So all I would really have to do is remove the original film clean the glass then cut the oversized square. To about what size though?

Quote Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
    I think this is the stuff: Polarization.com

yes, that works. That is what I use.

I tried the 3D glasses method when I first started doing it, but I was never happy with the results. It didn't look like a factory/professional job. I am not saying it can't be done well, I just wasn't able to do it. Much easier I have found with the film in the link above.

Quote Originally Posted by armyofone2134 View Post
    So all I would really have to do is remove the original film clean the glass then cut the oversized square. To about what size though?
    To "larger than the original film" but "same size or smaller than the glass in the bezel so it fits up against the glass."

I can't say "x.x cm by y.y cm" because I haven't got a glx5600 and because there is some "wiggle room" when it comes to fitting it in the case. As I recall, my new film isn't even a rectangle but a polygon.

If I hold it just the right angle in direct sunlight, one of the edges has a slight curl that's visible and as kung-fusion noticed in his testing, it doesn't look quite perfect or "factory," but since I had a pair of the glasses just laying around the price WAS right! Indoors and most of the time outside, though, it looks good enough for me.

If I had the chance to do it over again, I think I would use a hobby knife and a straightedge to cut the film, rather than using scissors as I did -- that almost certainly added to the "edge curl."

Is there a "need" for polarizing film on a g-shock? I have a negative display that I would like to change. Can't this be done by simply removing the film that is on there without replacing it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information