Polishing scratches out of mineral glass - a quick DIY
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Polishing scratches out of mineral glass - a quick DIY

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Polishing scratches out of mineral glass - a quick DIY

I bought a gwa1000 from wus awhile ago at a good price because of a scratch on the glass (one long scratch and a couple chip marks). It was difficult to see in most light but when I could see it, was so blatantly obvious. What made it worse was , it usually happened while I was at my desk at work so of course id see that scratch many times a day, even out of the corner of my eye I could feel it mocking me! Haha it was deep enough to catch my nail on it so I decided to see what I could do about getting rid of it.

I did some searching originally and found a few posts here and there and a few mentions of “don’t do it, itll end in tears!” but I thought id give it a try anyway. Yolo.

The best comment I found was to use diamond paste, something coarse (30) to cut down to the bottom of the scratch and something fine (.3) to polish afterwards. So I jumped on ebay and ordered some, just went with the cheapest option. It took weeks to arrive so in the meantime I gave a couple other things a try knowing theyd probably have little effect.
    Toothpaste - left it to dry till it was almost hard but all it did was make my watch smell minty
    Car polish – polishing compound, rubbing compound and cutting compound. Basically just varying degrees of coarseness. Did nothing, but possibly did give it a nicer shine.

Diamond paste finally arrived, it comes in little syringes which makes it very easy to apply. Medium is oil which helps to keep the friction and temperature down while polishing. I found leaving it for 5min before polishing helped it dry out a little so it didn’t spray around so much. (see bottom of the second image!)

Heres a pic of the scratch, it runs across the function markers and sub dial, also noticed a couple little chips towards the date window.

I used a rotary tool (aka dremel, mines a cheap knock off but it has the all important low rpm setting) with a pointed polishing tip and made anticlockwise circles while slowly turning the watch clockwise. Found this helped to keep the paste centered around the buffer and give it a more even “sanding”. I was still a little nervous about doing it so took regular breaks wiping up the paste and checking the progress. It’s a slow process but im glad it was, def. help keep it to only cutting down to the scratch and not any deeper than necessary.

I had no need to rush it so did it over a couple days, accumulated polishing time would probably be about 20-30min all up, doing batches of a couple minutes each time. got down to where the scratch was a fine ghosting line and the couple little chip marks were lost in shadow but by the time I ran the fine paste over that, the whole thing was gone :D

The paste itself goes a very long way, I scraped it off to check the progress then reapplied. Only needed about 10 little dabs all up

All that’s left now is a couple very faint buff marks that can only be seen at acute angles under very specific lighting which was pretty close to impossible to photograph. I might remove the bezel and run the cutting compound over the whole glass one day to give it a proper “clean”. The glass however looks immaculate otherwise

Nb: this is for mineral glass, any other glass or acrylic will of course have much different results!

Last edited by soulbridgemedia; January 12th, 2016 at 07:20.
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Re: Polishing scratches out of mineral glass - a quick DIY

That looks great -- nice job!

I've thought about doing the same thing with two of my Pathfinders, and I've seen the same (or similar) "mini-syringes" of diamond paste on eBay in various degrees of coarseness. This thread might just be the motivation I need to actually order the paste and polish those crystals!

...great tutorial SBM and the heading has all the key words necessary to do a search, so it doesn't get lost.

kev
    soulbridgemedia likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

nice tutorial SBM...I am sure this will be helpful for many here...

Great data. Thanks for posting!!!

Alright, you sold me. I may have to go this route to finish up my DW5600C (the one from FOREVER ago haha) if I could ever stop being so lazy! ;)

I've seen these around before, but never put much though into it. Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    That looks great -- nice job!

I've thought about doing the same thing with two of my Pathfinders, and I've seen the same (or similar) "mini-syringes" of diamond paste on eBay in various degrees of coarseness. This thread might just be the motivation I need to actually order the paste and polish those crystals!
    ha! i had the same problem. ordered heaps of stuff on ebay and elsewhere but for some reason just didnt order them. i think it was the thought "if i order them then i HAVE to make a start on the watch" haha glad i did tho :D

Quote Originally Posted by Kev55 View Post
    ...great tutorial SBM and the heading has all the key words necessary to do a search, so it doesn't get lost.

kev
    thanks for noticing man after doing the search i wanted to make sure it was specific to the topic and not something kind of related to/handful of useful posts, amongst pages banter
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Nice work, man.

And another thanks for posting about this.

Very good stuff!

Great job to a pesky problem
    Every owner of a higher end Casio needs to read your tutorial IMO
    I woyld've probably ordered a repl crystal. I'm not much of a DIY'er.

X Traindriver Art

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information