Pondering a thought about gasket integrity

Thread: Pondering a thought about gasket integrity

Pondering a thought about gasket integrity

While my sick 8 year old son sleeps this morning (up ALL last night with stomach bug affecting both ends----poor kid). I was looking over my watches and scanning the forum; a question popped into my head.

After reading countless threads/posts, everyone is in agreement that solar watches will need fewer battery changes over it's lifetime if maintained properly.

My question is: With a regular battery operated watch, when you change the battery, you typically lube the gasket to maintain water resistance. But what about the life expectancy of the gasket in a solar watch? At what point, if any, would you no longer trust the seal to maintain water resistance? Five years, Ten years, longer? Will the gasket dry out or will it maintain it's elasticity indefinitely if never opened?

Some members here have some of the first solar powered G's introduced and they say they are still running strong. But do they still wash hands, bathe/shower, give kids baths, swim, snorkel, or dive with those watches?

Those are the folks that could give a definitive answer.

Have a great day,
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Re: Pondering a thought about gasket integrity

I bought a dw5700 in '88 and it's battery lasted until 2012. Probably because I never used the light or alarm. Anyway, the original gasket looked and felt fine when I opened the screwback. I replaced it with a new lubed gasket that came with the aftermarket resin kit I was installing on the watch along with a new battery. So I personally wouldnt worry too much about the lifespan of the gasket as long as the case stays sealed. The only exception for me would be a dive watch that I relied on while diving, but I dont dive deeper than the deep end of a swimming pool :)
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by greg1491 View Post
    I bought a dw5700 in '88 and it's battery lasted until 2012. Probably because I never used the light or alarm. Anyway, the original gasket looked and felt fine when I opened the screwback. I replaced it with a new lubed gasket that came with the aftermarket resin kit I was installing on the watch along with a new battery. So I personally wouldnt worry too much about the lifespan of the gasket as long as the case stays sealed. The only exception for me would be a dive watch that I relied on while diving, but I dont dive deeper than the deep end of a swimming pool :)

Thanks for the reply.

Not really worried about it, just curious whether someone with a old watch and original battery and gasket would still be as water resistant as the day it was purchased.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

People on this forum tend to overthink the issue of gaskets. When I change batteries I don't tend to lubricate them. It is not necessary and casio doesn't do it. They also last many years (decades) which is longer than most people will keep the watch. Unless you are doing VERY deep diving, don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by greg1491 View Post
    I bought a dw5700 in '88 and it's battery lasted until 2012.
    Nice! That's a 24 yr run.

But rubber gasket does age and crack due to the life span and being compressed. And not just the caseback gasket, the button gaskets would be a concern as well.

If you want to be sure, you would have to pressure the watch to see if its still water tight.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Thread Information