Positive vs Negative display EL power consumption
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Positive vs Negative display EL power consumption

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Positive vs Negative display EL power consumption

Any idea whether the backlight on a positive display of a watch consumes more power than the backlight on the negative display of the same model? (The idea being that the backlight on the negative display just has to "light up the digits" as opposed to the full panel)

Maybe it's me, but I always find my GX56-1A King to be in a better state of charging than the GX56-1B King, despite giving them almost equal rotation.

Re: Positive vs Negative display EL power consumption

i know when i reversed my display on a G all that was done was flipping the polarizing film, no change made to the backlight whatsoever, so it would remain the same aside from what you see looking at it.

maybe casio produces different lcd backlights for the factory negatives, but if they just flip the film like we do then the power consumption as well as backlight would remain identical

it looks like the digits are all that is lighting up but it's a full EL sheet behind the entire display, just the light only makes it's way through the film where the digits are. if you're in true darkness you can see the background lighting up as well

Quote Originally Posted by NC Mystic View Post
    i know when i reversed my display on a G all that was done was flipping the polarizing film, no change made to the backlight whatsoever, so it would remain the same aside from what you see looking at it.

maybe casio produces different lcd backlights for the factory negatives, but if they just flip the film like we do then the power consumption as well as backlight would remain identical

it looks like the digits are all that is lighting up but it's a full EL sheet behind the entire display, just the light only makes it's way through the film where the digits are. if you're in true darkness you can see the background lighting up as well
    NAILED IT!!

The EL panel is exactly the same for positive and negative display models of the same watch. Ergo, absolutely no difference in power consumption.

Love it when I can use "ergo" in a reply
    n_wildgirl and capt_RENGT like this.
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NC Mystic View Post

I suspected the same. I think it would be technically challenging (or commercially unviable at these price points) to have just the digits light up, if at all possible.

Thanks!

I've got a positive display. I turn every feature on. Auto EL is always on and lights up very often. The only thing I've noticed wearing this one over a year daily is that in the 2 winters it's dropped to M charge. H during summer. L sometimes during the dead of winter. I guess this has nothing to do with the topic but this is the first G ive had that I've noticed a change in the charge state. I figured after this long summer she'd not drop again but I'm sitting on M for about a week now.

Quote Originally Posted by nagpal View Post
    I think it would be technically challenging (or commercially unviable at these price points) to have just the digits light up, if at all possible.
    If it were possible, there would be no need for the LC or the polarizing film... in other words, it would be a light display (e.g. CRT or LED or (AM)OLED...) instead of an LCD

Since lighting up changing shapes is difficult and expensive, LCDs take a shortcut: they light up the whole display (backlight), then they put an LC film in front of it that polarizes the light and which can easily enough "draw" changing shapes, but which is still fully transparent, so they top it all up with a polarizing film that only blocks the vertically polarized light, so that parts of the display become dark, according to what the LC layer "draws". Only the LC layer in the middle changes, not the light source.

Quote Originally Posted by RiseOfTheAnts View Post
    If it were possible, there would be no need for the LC or the polarizing film... in other words, it would be a light display (e.g. CRT or LED or (AM)OLED...) instead of an LCD

Since lighting up changing shapes is difficult and expensive, LCDs take a shortcut: they light up the whole display (backlight), then they put an LC film in front of it that polarizes the light and which can easily enough "draw" changing shapes, but which is still fully transparent, so they top it all up with a polarizing film that only blocks the vertically polarized light, so that parts of the display become dark, according to what the LC layer "draws". Only the LC layer in the middle changes, not the light source.
    Interesting.. thanks!

Maybe it is just me, could be the case. I have never had an issue with power on any of G's to date. Even when they are not worn they are not in light to charge them. Usually on full or hit full pretty quickly after a short time of wearing.

Do you guys have power issues or am I missing something? Thanks.
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

I might be wrong but doesn't Timex watches using "indilgo" light up just the digits?

Quote Originally Posted by Wally79 View Post
    I might be wrong but doesn't Timex watches using "indilgo" light up just the digits?
    For the most part the Timexes I've had the past few years do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information