Possible Franken-watch G-Shock, G-2000 -- any ideas?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Possible Franken-watch G-Shock, G-2000 -- any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Confused Possible Franken-watch G-Shock, G-2000 -- any ideas?

I noticed someone selling an alleged G-2000 G-Shock on "that auction site" (# 150713735014). Immediately I noticed that the face didn't look right. Fortunately the seller provides hi-res photos. I trimmed down and resized a couple to show you:

Name:  Casio_G-2000_franken1a.jpg
Views: 2659
Size:  192.7 KB
    Name:  Casio_G-2000_franken2a.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  172.5 KB
    Name:  Casio_G-2000_franken3a.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  104.3 KB

So, you can see the case back and bezel are definitely from a G-2000. But the module and dial face are certainly not. The bezel looks a little peculiar, like it's not fitting 100%, if you take a look on the left side of the dial (like part of the bezel inner edge sticking out). The LCD digits look a little "off" for what I normally expect to see on a Casio. Also, check out the backlight. I don't recall seeing one with the color pattern like this. Can anyone here identify the donor watch that might have been used for the module and dial in this franken-watch? Or perhaps, someone took a real G-2000 case and stuffed a knock-off module and dial inside it?
    Last edited by xevious; December 6th, 2011 at 17:42.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Re: Possible Franken-watch G-Shock, G-2000 -- any ideas?

It's a fake module used in 6900s (fake 1289 module). I thought the face plate was taken out of a 6900 until I noticed the "20 SAR Resisit." All the Gs I know are either 200M or 20BAR.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

Agreed totally fake the numbers are totally wrong too, they dont look any thing like a proper Casio module.
    It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Fake, simple as that.

One of the reasons why G-2000 wasn't too popular in the first place was because there were some good looking fakes.
    And this one is not even close

Quote Originally Posted by ggyy1276 View Post
    Fake, simple as that.

One of the reasons why G-2000 wasn't too popular in the first place was because there were some good looking fakes.
    And this one is not even close
    Thanks for the heads-up, guys. I didn't realize there were G-2000 fakes out there with authentic looking case backs. It's disturbing to hear that there were large numbers of them, because I'll have to bet that plenty are tucked away, just waiting to be tossed back into the used market and taken for being authentic by an unsuspecting buyer.

In Sjors' fake G-2000 thread, I spotted this very one in the mix of images:
    Name:  2000fl1a.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  24.5 KB
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Well, what do you know? I had notified the seller of the fake watch in their possession and linked the WUS thread. They thanked me for alerting them about it and closed the auction. Nice to see a seller do the right thing for a change, when it comes to a fake Casio.

Notice how the adjust and the mode lettering of the inside of the dial looks weird? Well it's not supposed to be like that. It's supposed to say 'split/reset' on the top and 'select' on the bottom so yeah, it's a fake

I bought 2 of such model in 2002. I wasn't aware of good looking fakes around that time. It took my Casio Service Center to convince me. The watch also failed the waterproof test. These things costed me quite some money. These were spread all over eBay from 2002 to about 2005. Haven't seen these for a while. Wonder if those fake DW-8200s will pop-up in large numbers...

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    I bought 2 of such model in 2002. I wasn't aware of good looking fakes around that time. It took my Casio Service Center to convince me. The watch also failed the waterproof test. These things costed me quite some money. These were spread all over eBay from 2002 to about 2005. Haven't seen these for a while. Wonder if those fake DW-8200s will pop-up in large numbers...
    Bummer, Sjors. Sorry to hear you got burned on a couple of those G-2000 fakes. I have seen a number of different fakes floating up on eBay. They will appear from time to time since many were created. Hopefully most people who recognize them as fakes will destroy them. Reselling, even if labeled as a fake, will only perpetuate their existence.

Possible Franken-watch G-Shock, G-2000 -- any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    Bummer, Sjors. Sorry to hear you got burned on a couple of those G-2000 fakes.
    It has been a long time ago. Probably 2004/2005 or so. There was not much money involved, but still it did cost me enough to but a cheap real one at that time. Luckily I only burned my hands once on this.

Currently there are real G-Shocks with custom straps in roulation, that mimmic rare models (Turbo Color, OntFront). I saw lately someone with a rusty or yellowed metal Gorilli keeper (ltd to 10 pieces), so I think also fake Gorilli's are floating around.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information