Practical or Tactical? help deciding
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Practical or Tactical? help deciding

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Practical or Tactical? help deciding

Got my 1st G-shock, a DW9052, in 2007, after trouble with 2 of a competitor's brand. Believe it or not still on its 1st battery!

Awesome watches these G-shocks and they keep getting better. When I learned about solar/atomic I picked up a few of those, then some great value-oriented battery-powered squares... F91, W71, etc. Somehow another one always catches my interest even though they all do roughly the same thing... To the point where now, 8 yrs later I have a different Casio for every day of the week and a few spares. Yet find myself hanging out in f17 and browsing eBay... It's a sickness. Suffice to say I don't need another watch. None of my Casios ever died of natural causes and I doubt they ever will.

But, well darn, the G9000MS-1CR looks really cool and I've always wanted a Mudman... Have I lost my mind, I already have 10 Casios!

Name:  G9000MS-1CR.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  28.4 KB

Contrast that with the W800H-1av, just over $10 USD on amazon right now:

Name:  w800h-1av_large.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  35.6 KB

The W800 is easy to read, has a 10 year battery (probably means 15 or 20), all the features I use save countdown timer, on sale for less than lunch out, and will probably last forever

The stealth Mudman is about $70 more, has a 3-year battery life, and reviews say it's hard to read the negative display.

I realize this is also a question of round vs. square and G-Shock vs. non-G-Shock, but don't want to muddy the waters. And I know the most practical decision would be to back away from the keyboard and save my money.

So what do you G-Shockers think, practical or tactical?
    gianfrancoteh likes this.
    Just another Casio fan.

Re: Practical or Tactical? help deciding

I had a negative display Rangeman and I was so disappointed with the readability of the display. If I had to choose, I'd go for that square watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Herrick View Post
    I had a negative display Rangeman and I was so disappointed with the readability of the display.
    He has a good point.

When I gave my wife a choice for a bulletproof sailing instructors start timer, she choose the one on the right for its easy to read screen and hard to accidently activate pushers. (She complained about the too easy pushers on the 5600 I lent her)

Don't ever ask around here whether you have enough Gs as enablers like us are nuts for Gs.....have over 15 Mudman alone.

11 Mudman 9300s

And the 12th

Yellow Mudman DW-8400

Last edited by yankeexpress; October 19th, 2015 at 04:35.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

the neg ranger is a terrible example of neg displays. the 9000 muddys have some of the best displays as far as pos. goes but the neg, not so much. its still good but because its a browny colour it lacks the contrast to make the digits jump out, not to say its completely unreadable tho.

that said nb9001, you already have plenty of easily readable watches but nothing that looks tough per say so id say go for the muddy. its a great looking watch and wears well with minimal bulk.
    also if you ever feel bad for owning (only :p ) 10 watches have a look in the "post your collections" thread, you'll feel instantly better about your meager collection... or possibly even a little inspired to get more ;)
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

I might be in the minority here. I like negative displays albeit I recognize their limitations especially at the angles and in low light conditions. When in doubt depress the light button; I don't concern myself with depleting the battery. I've had my sights on this particular Mudmaster for some time now. I saw one in the flesh recently. This MS model is all business.

Quote Originally Posted by soulbridgemedia View Post
    that said nb9001, you already have plenty of easily readable watches but nothing that looks tough per say so id say go for the muddy. its a great looking watch and wears well with minimal bulk.
    also if you ever feel bad for owning (only :p ) 10 watches have a look in the "post your collections" thread, you'll feel instantly better about your meager collection... or possibly even a little inspired to get more ;)
    Thanks, lots of good advice here.

It's funny, from time to time I run into guys who restore vintage motorcycles. Most have garages or even storage spaces full of old bikes and bike parts. If you ask any of them how many bikes is enough they always say, "one more." So it goes with Gs I guess.

I have a neg. display GW2310 which is hard to read but I like it anyway. And honestly for the extra $10 I might not feel too guilty about picking up both. But then I'd have 8 battery-powered watches and all the battery swapping would start to be a concern. So a question for those of you with large collections, how do you handle all the battery changes? Or is that just part of the deal?
    Just another Casio fan.

Quote Originally Posted by nb9001 View Post
    ........ But then I'd have 8 battery-powered watches and all the battery swapping would start to be a concern. So a question for those of you with large collections, how do you handle all the battery changes? Or is that just part of the deal?
    So far, have never changed a battery in any G-Shock. They last indefinitely.

Have changed a bunch of Casio batteries other than Gs, especially MDV-106 and AMW-320 which have tiny batteries.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; October 19th, 2015 at 06:29.

Why not get a negative with a really easy to read screen like a gd-350-1B (one button stopwatch start), or if you care for tide and moon I love my negative GLX-150.

It is hard to decide between the 2. I love the look of negative displays so much. But I like the usability of positive displays more. All my Gs have positive displays except the Gulfmaster with it's secondary display being negative.

I really want a negative display digital. But it is hard to push myself to purchase one.

Best looking negative display to me is the black Rangeman. So beautiful! Will probably force myself to buy one someday.

Someone else's picture below -
    Attached Images Attached Images

Izzy_Does_It likes this.

The Rangeman in the picture is a custom by member FJay Iceberg White. I liked it too, which is why I made one just like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
    It is hard to decide between the 2. I love the look of negative displays so much. But I like the usability of positive displays more. All my Gs have positive displays except the Gulfmaster with it's secondary display being negative.

I really want a negative display digital. But it is hard to push myself to purchase one.

Best looking negative display to me is the black Rangeman. So beautiful! Will probably force myself to buy one someday.

Someone else's picture below -

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information