prefered weight silicone oil for hydro mod

Thread: prefered weight silicone oil for hydro mod

prefered weight silicone oil for hydro mod

I've tried PMing a few people and I haven't gotten a response, so I'll just try asking for the forum

I've done a bunch of searches, and seen several write ups on the hydro mods with silicone oil, but none of them really said much about what type of oil would be prefered, I would think its whatever has the least thermal expansion, but the problem I've run into is that I can't seem to find whether the heavier or lighter silicone oils have better thermal expansion?

Re: prefered weight silicone oil for hydro mod

i saw you mention this intent in august and wondered if anyone would comment on it.

why do you want to do this? and with what watch?
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

Quote Originally Posted by metalman View Post
    I've tried PMing a few people and I haven't gotten a response, so I'll just try asking for the forum

I've done a bunch of searches, and seen several write ups on the hydro mods with silicone oil, but none of them really said much about what type of oil would be prefered, I would think its whatever has the least thermal expansion, but the problem I've run into is that I can't seem to find whether the heavier or lighter silicone oils have better thermal expansion?
    I have had success with 350cts Silicone Oil: http://www.chemistrystore.com/produc...&product=88698

HTH
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by a-Tom-ic View Post

why do you want to do this? and with what watch?
    Who doesn't want a watch that is filled with silicon oil? That's like asking why I would want to dye my Froggy green. I want to do it.
    "To Conquer the Sea is to Conquer the Soul"

Seiko

I'm doing this with a 7510, I finally got tired of waiting and just bought it retail off amazon, the 7500hd I wanted used to go for 40, then I aksed about it here and of course they all vanished overnight, big mistake there, now the 7510 I don't really want jumped up 20$ almost, but whatever, they're out of production, and I got tired of waiting

My job involves diving and at times I'm in or around the water for 12 hours or more, so guys have problems even if a watch doesn't flood that they get misty, I figured the oil would prevent that, and there are other times that I need a watch that doesn't make noise, so a vibration alarm is about the only option, a bunch of people have said it won't work filled with oil, but I haven't run across anyone that actually knows, so I'm trying it out

Quote Originally Posted by metalman View Post
    I'm doing this with a 7510 ...
    My advice would be to stick with a Solar-Powered model - replacing batteries in the future will be a major PITA.

HTH
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

I'm aware of that, but honestly, if the watch lives long enough to need a battery replacement I'll consider it a success

Also, the only solar watch with a vibration alarm isn't one that I would be experimenting on like this, for all I know the nay sayers could be right and the vibration feature won't even work when its oil filled
    Last edited by metalman; October 2nd, 2009 at 00:17.

Thread Information