PRG-80L long-term impressions
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: PRG-80L long-term impressions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture PRG-80L long-term impressions

I think I've had the PRG-80L for around 8-10 months. It's my only watch, worn 24/7. Previously I owned the PAW-1300 for about a year. I got tired of looking at it, too plain.

So far the PRG-80L has been a workhorse. Swimming, extreme hot, cold, impacts, the usual, and it has emerged as you see in the pic.

In the beginning I used the baro graph quite a bit, but over time the most important features for me have turned out to be the alti, CDT, 5 alarms, and stopwatch. Yes, there are limits on the CDT and stopwatch, but I rarely time any long events so this has not been an issue.

Great huge display, current time visible in all modes.

I use the alti all the time to record my cycling sessions. I find it to be accurate when compared to elevation gains of the various online services.

Super minor quibble is the lack of day/date on main display. I just press the adjust button to see the day, no biggie.

Impressed/surprised by the strap. Much more comfortable than a standard casio rubber strap. It dries out quickly, forms to the wrist nicely and is very comfortable. It's holding up well.

Though this is a large watch, sits high on the wrist, I hardly notice it. Very lightweight.

Much nicer looking than the PAW-1300 I think, and I really enjoy looking at it every day.

Queen6 has reviewed this model extensively and has lots of good things to say about its alti accuracy.

Cheers!

Go Dortmund!

Re: PRG-80L long-term impressions

thanks for the report, sounds like a really solid watch!

in fact, i do like the blue color scheme (-2v) too. and the gray buttons. a handsome design no doubt and it has a leg up on the 1300 and 2000 modules with the larger graph area, imho.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

Picture Re: PRG-80L long-term impressions

PRG-80 (or "Atomic" PAW-1100) last of the Casio field ABC`s big, easy to read, and one of the most durable if not the most robust ABC on the market, one of mine has five years in the field and never missed a beat. There are more technical & accurate ABC`s that have been developed since 2005, however for ease of use and survivability the PRG-80 is still unbeatable.

The PRG -80 is difficult to sum up, however; there is a trade off between capability and usability, as far as I know, no one has figured out how to achieve maximum capability and maximum usability in the same device. In prospect the capability seems more important than usability; in practice the reverse is true, and this is where the PRG-80 shines.

For all those that want to see the 80`s in all their glory ;

PRG-80YT-1VDR (on Casio Ballistic Nylon & Leather strap)

Let`s have a closer look

PRG80 is not "Atomic" black end pieces sourced from PRW-1100

And you just thought it was only black

Original Ion Plated Bracelet

Now on 24mm Hirsch "Extreme" natural rubber dive strap

PRG-80L-3VDR

PRG-80L-2VDR Blue

Capturing the color of these chameleons is a challenge as the Blue & Green PRG-80L`s change their look with the slightest change in lighting,
    good thing is they never look garish, often looking almost black.

PRG-80L-3VDR Green

PRG-80L-3VDR Green

Original synthetic leather strap, works well in hot climates

Another strap option off PRG-80L-1VDR Resin

On the wrist

PRG-80, truly a field watch, big and extremely durable, a very tough solar powered beast, not far off G-Shock survivability .

You can play about with the straps on this model, giving it more versatility. I have used these extensively in the field, in all conditions imaginable
    (-25C - +55C, 100% humidity for months/years at a time, jungles of the sub tropics to the remote Takla Makan dessert, the bitter cold of inner Mongolia to the searing heat of the Middle East (work related)).

I would recommend one to anyone wanting a longterm field watch, large easy to read display in all modes. One of the most stable Protrek`s when exposed to rapid temperature change. ABC functions are easy to set up & use, and the altimeter is reasonably accurate, as long as you follow & understand Casio`s recommendations, just don't expect the greater accuracy afforded by more advanced ABC`s with altimeter locks etc.

Very few criticisms other than limited CDT & stopwatch duration, the bottom line is they work as intended, if I was limited to only one ABC watch, the PRG-80, would be the "one" it`s proven durability/longevity nudges it to the top position a true "Tool Watch" in all regards

My Timex WS4 easily out performs the PRG-80 being more accurate and technical tool, yet I have a feeling that even my original blue 80 from 2005 will be around far longer, so far the PRG-80`s have been impervious to anything I have thrown at them. The WS4 is still the new kid on the block and needs to prove it`s long term durability in the field, and the bar is set very high by the big Casio, so far so good, and the WS4 is meeting my expectations, another five years and we will see

PRG-80 & WS4 compared

PRW-1100, PRW-1000 & PAW-1100 have "Atomic" reception

Tough Solar Power
    Digital Compass
    16 points of measurement
    Measuring range: 0 to 359 degrees
    Measuring unit: 1 degree
    Altimeter
    Measuring range: -700 to 10,000m (-2,300 to 32,800ft)
    Measuring unit: 5m (20ft)
    Auto memory measurements
    Altimeter Memory
    Memory capacity: 40 records
    Measurement data: altitude, month, date, time
    High / Low altitude memory
    Cumulative ascent / descent memory
    Relative altitude display
    Altitude tendency graph
    Altitude differential graphic
    Altitude alarm
    Barometer
    Display range: 260 to 1,100 hPa (7.65 to 32.45 inHg)
    Display unit: 1 hPa (0.05 inHg)
    Atmospheric pressure tendency graph
    Atmospheric pressure differential grapic
    Thermometer
    Display range: -10 to 60 C (14 to 140 F)
    Display unit: 0.1 C (0.2 F)
    100M Water Resistant
    Low Temperature Resistant (-10 C / 14 F)
    Full Auto EL Backlight with Afterglow 1.5sec or 2.5sec
    Duplex LCD
    World Time
    29 times zones (30 cities), city code display, daylight saving on/off
    5 Daily Alarms
    Countdown Timer
    Measuring unit: 1 second
    Countdown range: 1 minute to 60 minutes
    Auto-repeat function
    1/100 second stopwatch
    Measuring capacity: 9:59'59.99"
    Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
    Hourly Time Signal
    Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
    12/24 Hour Formats
    Accuracy: ±15 seconds per month
    Storage Battery CTL1616
    Battery Power Indicator
    Power Saving Function
    Approx. battery life: 6 months on full charge (without further exposure to light)
    Module 2894
    Size of case/total weight
    PAG80 62.3 x 52.2 x 16.8mm / 78g
    PAG80T 62.3 X 52.2 X 16.8mm / 118g

PRG-80 Links

Are Protreks Accurate #1
    Are Protreks Accurate #2
    PRG-80YT-1VDR Strap Conversion

Don't think too much about the size they wear well. I frequently wear mine for work, and casually. Few have failed to be impressed once they try them for any length of time. Over time you really begin to appreciate the ease of use and design. It will be interesting to see how the WS4 fairs after five years field use, and I can guarantee the PRG-80L 2VDR from 2005 will still be holding it`s own.

Primary field ABC`s Timex WS4 & modified PRG-80YT, on 24mm Hirsch Extreme natural rubber dive strap, this allows the watch to be worn on the wrist or outside of winter clothing.

Snow in the desert January 4th 2006 the Takla Makan, a place to be respected, everyone knows about the Gobi. The Takla Makan is locally/popularly known as "go in and you will never come out" with dunes reaching up to 1000ft (300m), 100,000 square miles makes for an easy place to get lost

More what you would expect

Q-6
    Rocat likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Snow in the desert?!? Great pics Q6.

I have been eyeing off one of these for ages and agree with everything Freediver said. My feeling is that despite casio making more feature rich models, the PRG-80 was the pinnacle of their Protrek range and it's been largely down hill since then.

I believe this is a classic example where Casio's isolationist design policy has fallen down big time. If only the Timex accuracy and display advantages could be stuffed into the PRG-80.

Fantastic pics
    Current G's:
    GW-9200J-1 Riseman
    DW-004ASJ-8AT (stealthed)
    DW-9800 Wademan AR-3T ARTI
    DW-8800AJ ADMA's Full set of 5

Wish List:

G-7900 1ER - GW-7900B-1JF - GW-M5600BC -
    G-9000-8DVR Stormtrooper - GW-9100MB-1JF Gulfman - FTS-100 Forester

Quote Originally Posted by Queen6 View Post

In prospect the capability seems more important than usability; in practice the reverse is true, and this is where the PRG-80 shines.
    Good point, agree 100%. This explains why this model works for me. cheers
    Go Dortmund!

I love my PAW1100!

How difficult is it to "play" with the straps on this ...I mean, how do you find the parts from another casio to make this work...is there any strap that will work besides the original without doing a modification to the watch...I love the look of this watch but just am not big on metal bands...

The PRG80 non atomic and the PAW1100 both come standard with a resin strap that I find very comfortable, maybe my most comfortable resin strap. I work about 1 to 2 hours a day at a metal fake wood top desk and did not want to worry about scratching up my bracelet and found that the resin is much nicer than I though. There are several strap / bracelet options and Q-6 has gone over and posted photos of a few.

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

Great Protrek model, my favourite actually. I briefly owned PRW-1300 slim-line model, personally found it too flimsy and lacking that well-known Protrek presence and personality. Then two weeks ago saw a PRG-80YT in person on one of my colleagues' wrist and was sold on the idea of owning one almost instantly.

...currently awaiting black titanium PRG-80YT-1VDR in the mail from Singapore Casio dealer, will post some pics once it arrives

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast