Price
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sengyoku

Thread: Price

Price

Why are Frogman models so expensive ? You can get a Gulfman model for much less & it's basically a Frogman. Is it a supply & demand type thing or are they all "Rare, Special Edition" models which every heading has when you see one for sale. I'd love to own one but not at $450-$600.

Re: Price

There have been many thread about Frogman prices, but some of the reasons are:

-Made in Japan
    -All metal case (unlike the plastic cases of most G-shocks)
    -Screwdown caseback
    -ISO certified
    -Smaller number made and more "collectible"
    -Casio charges what the market will bear

The last one is the most important factor. Frogman used to be around $250-300 normally. When the atomic frogs came out, Casio started charging $600. When that worked, they raised the prices on their non-atomic models as well. Then special limited editions that were $1700 or more.

Yeah it's crazy. I just saw one listed for $25,000....some rare one of a kind edition. What gets me is even the nice used ones are going for $300-$400. That's just rediculous. I'd gladly pay $250-$300 for a nice Yellow or Orange Frogman (New that is).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    There have been many thread about Frogman prices, but some of the reasons are:

-Made in Japan
    -All metal case (unlike the plastic cases of most G-shocks)
    -Screwdown caseback
    -ISO certified
    -Smaller number made and more "collectible"
    -Casio charges what the market will bear

The last one is the most important factor. Frogman used to be around $250-300 normally. When the atomic frogs came out, Casio started charging $600. When that worked, they raised the prices on their non-atomic models as well. Then special limited editions that were $1700 or more.
    Kungfusius (I think you should change your name, Kung :D) is right about all the above mentioned and I have a feeling Casio will keep on pushing the prices up to see what they can get away with :/ But I think a major factor in the hype, collectability and mystique (and hence the inflated prices) of the frogs can be attributed to collector orientated groups and forums like f17!

I'd have to wonder if you've had the pleasure of actually seeing a frog in the flesh if you can casually compare it to a Gulfman and say it's 'basically the same'! The frogman line does boast some of the most superior matierials and best build quality found in Gs period. However I can understand your frustration at paying that much of a premium for one... Discounting the very exclusive and collector hyped frogs, it is very possible to get a second hand one in good condition at a reasonable price, so I suggest you look in the 'used market' :)
    Deepsea_dweller likes this.

Thread Information